Author Topic: Genos II or Genos I 2.0. Your take?  (Read 9786 times)

Offline EB5AGV

Genos II or Genos I 2.0. Your take?
« on: March 24, 2019, 11:12:36 PM »
I am curious on what is your opinion. Would Yamaha leave Genos I mostly as is and release a new Genos II or will they do a big overhaul on current Genos I software (let's call it v2.0)?

I guess and hope the later will happen and not too far in time. What do you think?

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Re: Genos II or Genos I 2.0. Your take?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 11:43:50 PM »
I think Yamaha is finished with Genos I, unless someone discovers a major OS bug that causes everyone to have a problem. We've all been waiting months for some minor fixes and upgrades. Yamaha has done nothing. Case closed. Wait for Genos II.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:31:12 AM »
I do not understand what you base on such claims. Why is Yamaha rushing to produce Genos II (G2) while Genos 1 is doing its job well?
Creating a new operating system, new interface or new feature is easier and much less expensive than creating a new hardware model.
That's the glass that Korg released OS 3.0 to continue taking advantage of Pa4x's design and increasing its use value for several years.
I think Yamaha should probably go this way.
It is possible that Genos's design is not complete, the front of Genos - where the connection ports are, is quite bad and redundant with stupid overhangs. However, in the direct view of the keyboard and the two sides of Genos look pretty and modern.
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 03:47:36 AM »
My predictions are:

1. There won't be a "Genos II" for at least the next three years.

2. There will be a "Genos 2.0" OS update released this year, which will incorporate new features.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline elvisfigredo

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 04:38:13 AM »
I would be happy with just a re-designed graphic user interface. Just to relieve the monotony. Like some cell phone manufacturers do. A new GUI. Updated sounds and features would be the best.

Offline ton37

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 07:35:31 AM »
There will be a Genos II in 2020. Yamaha expects that enough customers will switch to the new model, Genos II. That is good for financial survival, very legitimate. There will be another bugfix for the Genos I this year. To keep the customer happy, probably with a single software surprise. The Genos II will have a larger touchscreen and replacing some knobs and sliders and Yamaha, owner of Cubase, will use more software features from Cubase 10/11 in the Genos II. Then comes a Genos III and IV and probably the last to be a Genos V. Whoever lives then takes care of it.
Ohh.., in the meantime, do not focus on what you miss, but enjoy what you have! ;-))
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 08:57:59 AM »
Would Yamaha leave Genos I mostly as is and release a new Genos II or will they do a big overhaul on current Genos I software (let's call it v2.0)?
Personally, I will wait untill a successor of the Genos hits the market. I think the Genos has too many hardware flaws, which really should not exist on a EUR 4000+ device: keybed bends/flexs way further down when playing than the T4/T5 (or even a PSR-S), the weird curved and unpractical backend, buttons losing their print, not a very good display with fixed angle. And it still misses features I'd expect on a modern TOTL keyboard, like balanced outputs.

I'd really like a 76 key instrument with the power of the T5, but lighter and more compact, because the T5 is really to bulky to carry around two times a week. But to me, the Genos does not seem durable enough and does not deliver enough new features to justify a EUR 2000+ upgrade price from a T5 76. So I'll happily wait until the Genos 2 / II arrives and hopefully, by then, my bank account will also be big enough  :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:59:03 AM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

beykock

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 10:07:57 AM »
I believe Fred is right and hopefully a new Genos update will follow this year yet.

It would be great if this new Genos update will be launched during the 2019 German Musikmesse in April.

Cross my fingers for all the proud Genos owners.🌹

Take care, Babette

Lloyd E

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »
Genos hopefully will give us an update soon to improve and correct some flaws.  I am happy with Genos as it satisfies all my needs. Those with advanced skills will welcome
some corrections. Lloyd

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »
I would be happy with just a re-designed graphic user interface. Just to relieve the monotony. Like some cell phone manufacturers do. A new GUI. Updated sounds and features would be the best.

I recently noticed that much of the Genos UI style is based on the Clavinova touch screen (especially the mixing console). So I expect they will stick with it as it is. After all, the non-touchscreen UI used up to and including T5 was around for about 20 years ...
Genos

Offline elad770

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
Personally, I will wait untill a successor of the Genos hits the market. I think the Genos has too many hardware flaws, which really should not exist on a EUR 4000+ device: keybed bends/flexs way further down when playing than the T4/T5 (or even a PSR-S), the weird curved and unpractical backend, buttons losing their print, not a very good display with fixed angle. And it still misses features I'd expect on a modern TOTL keyboard, like balanced outputs.

I'd really like a 76 key instrument with the power of the T5, but lighter and more compact, because the T5 is really to bulky to carry around two times a week. But to me, the Genos does not seem durable enough and does not deliver enough new features to justify a EUR 2000+ upgrade price from a T5 76. So I'll happily wait until the Genos 2 / II arrives and hopefully, by then, my bank account will also be big enough  :)

Since 2 people liked you post, Can you be kind and share with us what "Flaws" are you referring to? Note that when you say a Hardware Flaw you are pointing at something that is seriously wrong or faulty with the instrument (That includes an engineering flaw). Something that you can't leave with or leave without it is not a flaw rather your own preference. I'm a very picky person. If my Genos will have a Hardware Flaw i will Fly to California and Dump it on their Front door! So please don't say things to sensationalize something that doesn't exist. This is the BEST arranger in the world right now and has Bugs and some issues that EVERY complex machine has. Ive never experienced ONE flaw that you are mentioning

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Bachus

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 09:20:49 PM »
My predictions are:

2. There will be a "Genos 2.0" OS update released this year, which will incorporate new features.

Cheers,
Fred

If so, Genos OS 2.0 should be announced this week and presented next week at the musik messe

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 11:06:17 PM »
My predictions are:

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks Fred.   There are heavyweights and featherweights both in boxing rings and on forums.  My experience,  and I am sure I am not alone, is that what you say is heavyweight.  I am also convinced YAMAHA  does not follow forum discussions in detail BUT will have some kind of follow up  e.g. forum people reporting to them. 
I remember when  less than optimal implementations were discussed like you would presume pressing  SONG would take you to your song folder and favorities to  your tweeked favorites, just to name two of the discussed items, you had a long wishlist.

So I for one am ver happy to read this post of yours.

Cheers

Kaarlo 

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 11:16:56 PM »
Good post, Kaarlo. Here's what I think Kaarlo is saying:

The Genos I is a flinch test for Genos II. This is normal for new generation releases. Yamaha is likely testing the market through those who chose to upgrade from the T5 to Genos I. Although the Genos I is a spectacular keyboard, Genos II will likely blow us away. Yamaha will learn a lot and hopefully will give us a satisfactory update to the existing OS, but that will be it. They'll wait until Genos II before offering up any major advances in the OS. Opinions?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 12:43:38 AM »
Good post, Kaarlo. Here's what I think Kaarlo is saying:

The Genos I is a flinch test for Genos II. This is normal for new generation releases. Yamaha is likely testing the market through those who chose to upgrade from the T5 to Genos I. Although the Genos I is a spectacular keyboard, Genos II will likely blow us away. Yamaha will learn a lot and hopefully will give us a satisfactory update to the existing OS, but that will be it. They'll wait until Genos II before offering up any major advances in the OS. Opinions?

I think we'll know in the next few days, one way or the other. If nothing is revealed at the big European trade show next week then I think Genos 1 is going to remain just like we have it today,  with possibly a few more bug fixes.

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 01:40:45 AM »
StuartR...now that makes perfect sense!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »
Yes I have to agree Lee.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 01:36:07 AM »

.....Yamaha is likely testing the market through those who chose to upgrade from the T5 to Genos I. Although the Genos I is a spectacular keyboard, Genos II will likely blow us away. Yamaha will learn a lot and hopefully will give us a satisfactory update to the existing OS, but that will be it. They'll wait until Genos II before offering up any major advances in the OS. Opinions?

How right you are Lee.   I for one would be a satisfied Genos buyer  if YAMAHA just did in an update  - even thought it is too late -  correct the small software  "inconsistencies" that have been listed here.

There are no obligations  - as  US corporate lawyers say ;) -  express or implied  - to add new features, features that were not promised. 

Henry Ford forgot that repeat business is what keeps a comapny at the top.  He became complacent and lost a market position no-one had before him and no-one after him. Recently the Finnish Nokia company was the Nr. 1 cell-phone comapany in the world. They forgot repeat bussiness is what keeps you at the top. They make no phones anymore. 

BTW  Technics  produced excellent keyboards. Does anyone know of an article explaining why they lost their following ?

Cheers

Kaarlo 

Offline ton37

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »
……….  BTW  Technics  produced excellent keyboards. Does anyone know of an article explaining why they lost their following ? ……..

Cheers

Kaarlo
FYI, This is what i remember when I had a KN7000. I thought it was about 2005?:
'The Technics Electonic Musical Instrument Division of Panasonic was only a very small part of the giant Matsushi-ta Corporation, which owns - amongst others - Panasonic and Technics, and as such, probably didn't contribute a great deal of profit to the overall organisation. (Less than 1 percent!)
The Technics M.I.D. was headed by a Japanese gentleman, who was a long standing member of the company. It was 'His Baby' and was kept alive by his continual efforts.
However, when he left the company (either retired or died?) there was no one with the same enthusiasm as the former head of the Division and since it was regarded by the 'bean counters' and Staff/shareholder as basically 'small fry' in the overall organisation, the decision was made to close the Division. It was then that the Yamaha Tyros 2 was KN7000's competitor. The KN7 was also at his end of 'development-line'. It was too expensive (on the basis of marketing-view) to start with a totally new concept...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:19:15 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline soryt

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 12:56:39 PM »
I think Yamaha is finished with Genos I, unless someone discovers a major OS bug that causes everyone to have a problem. We've all been waiting months for some minor fixes and upgrades. Yamaha has done nothing. Case closed. Wait for Genos II.
And what about the extern monitor problems , registration problems , freeze up problems ? , Yamaha need to fix this sometime

Soryt  :(
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber