Author Topic: Genos settings for powered speakers as well as Genos speakers  (Read 9511 times)

Wil5560

I already own the Genos and currently the Genos speaker set and woofer is connected and playing well. However I would also like to connect powered speakers, so I wonder if there is any setting I need to follow to either listen to the sound from the powered speakers and / or listen to the Genos regular speaker set?
Or is it also allowed to connect all and listen to all speakers? if yes, what is the right setting in the menu I need to follow?
thanks for all your help

Re: Genos settings for powered speakers as well as Genos speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »
I see no reason why you can't have them all playing at once. :)
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Wil5560

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply and answer. So to understand it perfectly, there is no settings that I need to change first in the menu? And how should I handle the EQ when both the external speakers are connected as well as the Genos regular speakerset? Any recommendations from anybody who is using the same setup?

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 06:34:38 PM »
A problem when using more than one pair of speakers is the phasing can be different with different speaker brands and can result in some frequency's cancelling or sounding out of phase.
If you feel you need to use both Genos speakers & Powered speaker together, set the EQ for the best quality pair which for me would be the Powered speakers.
One pair of good quality powered monitors is all you will need.

DGX670

Offline AlBags

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 12:46:31 AM »

Less ... is more!

I use Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors. If I connected any others up, it would all sound bad!
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Wil5560

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 11:32:12 AM »
Thanks already for all your help and the different replies to my earlier question. However I am still a bit confused how and when to change the Menu settings Line Out? Here currently with the connection of the Genos GNS-MS01 speaker set, all marks are in the column Main (LL+RR).
So what if i want to connect extra powered speakers? where do I connect them physically, and where and what needs to be changed in the line-out menu setting?
Or should I just disconnect the GNS-MS01 speaker set?
A step by step explanation would be helpful since the reference manual is to complicated (for a junior user). Also on other forums or youtube or yamaha website, there is no real simple step by step setup instruction on both physical setup as well as what to change inside the menu of the Genos.

Wil5560

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 09:43:46 AM »
To all, hope that my previous question is not to difficult. Would appreciate any help and reply
Thank you !!

Offline casiokid

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
There's a well known brilliant Pro player here in the UK  uses his satellite speakers and sub woofer with two Behringer 15inch powered speakers.  On stage it sounds great. 

Wil5560

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 12:02:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply and recommendation on speakers. However my question is referring to the setup of powered speakers. What is required regarding the physical connection to the Genos, and what is required regarding the settings in the line out menu of the Genos?
See also my earlier question above.
Hope anybody can help?

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 07:56:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply and recommendation on speakers. However my question is referring to the setup of powered speakers. What is required regarding the physical connection to the Genos, and what is required regarding the settings in the line out menu of the Genos?
See also my earlier question above.
Hope anybody can help?

There are 2 ways to achieve this.

1. Connect the Genos Main out left and right channels directly to your powered speakers using 6.5mm jacks on the keyboard side and either XLR or 6.5mm jacks on the speaker side. Some powered speakers, like my Adam Audio speakers require XLR jacks.

2. Connect the Genos Main out left and right channels to a mixer using 6.5mm jacks on the keyboard side and (probably) 6.5mm jacks on the mixer side. Then connect your powered speakers to the mixer using either XLR or 6.5mm jacks, depending on what is required for the speakers.

For a direct connection, the master volume dial on the Genos controls the Main out volume from the keyboard. The powered speakers will have their own volume knobs as well. Set the volumes on the speakers to about 75% and control the total volume from the keyboard master volume.

If using a mixer, then it will probably have a main volume control as well. You will need to balance the volume on the speakers and mixer and keyboard (more complicated but just use your ears to hear what sounds best.)

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:06:27 PM by RichardL »

Wil5560

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
Dear Richard,
Thanks a lot for the explanation and best practices how to connect the powered speakers.
One more related question, is what is the purpose and what should be set in the Line Out menu setting of the Genos?
I have been reading the manual, but it's still not clear when to and how to set changes in this menu section?
Nor is it clear to me if i connect powered speakers, if a change in the menu setting is required such as Line Out

Hope that you or any of the senior members can explain this Line Out menu as well?

Best regards
Wil

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 08:35:22 PM »
@ Wil,

Sorry I did not read your message fully.

Re the line out menu, there's no need to change anything here if you use the Main out jacks for your powered speakers. The Genos speakers have their own connections and the volume is also controlled by the Master volume dial on the Genos. The subwoofer has its own volume as well.

So to recap:

A. Connect your Genos speakers and subwoofer to the Genos and set the volume on the subwoofer to your liking
B. Connect your powered speakers to the Main out jacks as I described above and set the volume on the speakers to your liking.
C. use the Master volume dial on the Genos to control the overall volume.

It is really not complicated.

Kind regards, Richard

Wil5560

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
Hi Richard, appreciate your help and explanation. This will for sure help me in my next steps to connect powered speakers to the Genos.

In general, what is the purpose and when to use the Line Out menu?
Even though it's not needed, i would like to learn this menu feature and the reference manual is not very clear on this.
Its probably also since the reference manual is lacking practical examples (in general).
I guess that many of the questions raised in this forum could be prevented if Yamaha would also provide real videos, examples, tutorials etc.

Thanks again

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 10:46:15 AM »
The purpose is to be able to redirect part of the mix to another line or lines.

For example you might want to send your Right 1 voice to a separate effects box and then send it back into the mix. You would redirect  right 1 to Aux out, connect cables from aux out to your effects box and then connect the effects box to your mixer to be mixed with the rest of the instruments.

The Genos has so many features that there is no need to do this but some people have complicated setups.

Your setup is straightforward. You just want to connect some extra speakers. Using the Main line out for this is the best solution.

Regards, Richard