Author Topic: using a powered switcher for two monitors from Genos VGA Adaptor  (Read 1964 times)

Offline franksboard

My question is can you safely use a powered vga switcher to support switching to two monitors.the one i found has 5 volt power supply to operate switcher
i am using a usb vga adaptor and works fine but need a vga adapter to swtich between two monitors and the only ones i find are the powered ones withe one input and two outputs and the manual ones are two in and one output what i am doing is video recording my performance and use two monitors and switch between live video and the keyboard.I might have karaoke on one monitor from keyboard and live video on another or live video on two monitors
i used to do professional video years back and still have some of my old editing equipment and many of my friends ask for videos and some years back played for a senior building several times a year and due to age and health issues just play at home now.I play on the Genos,Technics KN7000 and Technics SX-PR604 piano
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:11:47 PM by franksboard »

Offline zionip

Re: using a powered switcher for two monitors
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 02:52:29 AM »
In your use case, you should be looking for a VGA splitter (one display source to multiple display monitors), or a more expensive VGA matrix switch (multiple display sources to multiple display monitors), not a VGA switcher (multiple display sources to one display monitor).

An example of a VGA splitter (you do the switching by turning the monitors on / off):
https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Distribution-Amplifier-Resolution-2048x1536/dp/B017END61A/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=VGA+splitter&qid=1553305656&s=gateway&sr=8-6

An example of a VGA matrix switch:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-104084-Switcher-Amplifier-Multiplier/dp/B001V55AWG/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=powered+VGA+matrix+switch&qid=1553305253&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr2

I once displayed Genos to both or either of two monitors through a powered HDMI 4x2 (4 in, 2 out) matrix switch that can be configured as a switch or a splitter to test the score screen.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: franksboard, KeyboardByBiggs