Author Topic: Will S970 accept program changes?  (Read 3527 times)

VilleGuy

Will S970 accept program changes?
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:10:36 PM »
I am still in the newbie phase of working my PSR S970, and I would greatly appreciate your advice on how I can get my arranger keyboard to do what I want.

I want to maintain a songlist on my iPad and with the touch of a finger have the songlist software find the desired style, registration or MIDI file on my S970 or thumb drive and instantly access correct settings (tempo, voices, etc.) for that song.

Is there any way I can get the S970 to do this, or will I need to get an S775 or S975? I’ve seen posts that say those arrangers can deal with “program changes” (I think that is the correct term for what I seek) but that the S970 cannot.

gerarde

Re: Will S970 accept program changes?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 11:22:18 PM »
If you set up registrations on the 970, you can use Mobilesheets pro (for windows), or Songbook+ to call up those registrations.
The registrations can hold you style midi file or whatever.

Gerard

VilleGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 12:34:02 AM »
I'm Mac-based and use an iPad. Can I get this to work for me?

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 02:09:45 AM »
Yes, Songbook+ is available on the iOS App Store.

VilleGuy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:20:28 PM »
A forum member helpfully steered me to the SongBook+ manual, which seems to have answered my question. If I want to send program change messages from Songbook+ to the keyboard, it looks like I'll have to sell my S970 and get an S775 or S975.

From the manual:
"With Tyros 2-5, PSR-S775 and PSR-S975 keyboards, both directions of remote control are possible. With the Tyros 1 and older PSR keyboards, only the direction from keyboard to SongBook+ is available."

Roy_T

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 08:55:19 PM »
Read the following thread in its entirety, particularly the entries from mels and overover.  I think it will shed some light on this subject for you, again, particularly the comment from overover about "while with OLDER PSR-S models only the method "Dummy MIDI file in Registration calls up a 'Song' in Songbook+" is possible." That statement seems to hint that there might be a workaround, of sorts, for using Songbook+ with your S970, but certainly not by a "direct" method, as with the Tyros 2-5 and the S775/S975.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44823.msg369798.html#msg369798

Now, aside from all of the Songbook+ rhetoric and back to your very original question "Will S970 accept program changes?".  All MIDI keyboards and sound modules use the MIDI "Program Change" (PC) command to select the current sound (tone, voice, instrument, etc) to be played on any given MIDI Track/Channel/Part.  Any such device that did not accept Program Changes would most certainly be very limited in its usefulness.

Good luck with your S970 and Songbook+ ! ! !

Roy
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:41:52 PM by Roy_T »

VilleGuy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 11:02:37 PM »
I really like my S970, but I may switch to an S775 in order to make use of the SongBook-to-keyboard communication capability.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this.