Author Topic: PSR-S970 Internal Hardware Error  (Read 13555 times)

Offline Patrick

PSR-S970 Internal Hardware Error
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »
Hi all my S970 is at the repair shop and i've found a lot of video on YouTube for Yamaha KB with this problem;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcTjgpXIWR8
After 3 years, i think that Yamaha's KB seems to be very poor quality made! It"s start with the PSR S3000 screen and now it's the mother board! Paerhaps we must sold our KB every 3 years before the problems! Yamaha's KB are very expensive so we must have the quality for the price! The replacement of the mother board cost 1/3 of the price of the KB here;
Have a good day, Patrick

:)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline panos

Re: PSR-S970 Internal Hardware Error
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:08:33 PM »
Sorry to hear that Patric  :-[
I can see also a lot of videos from the same service guy with several psr s model with the same problem.
That's kind of strange.
How many accounds does he have on youtube?
They are all have the same phone number for service.

Is this problem so familiar in that country?
I don't see videos from another part of the world with this problem.
I am not a techician but is this caused by bad public electricity or something?

I hope they will find the damaged connection or chip of your motherboard and fix it in the repair shop.
Otherwise they should contact Yamaha or something if they are an authorized service and the keyboard has not a damaged case.
The s970 is almost new.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 10:24:55 PM »
Hm... My S970 also broke down. Something connected to the amplifier. But I think Yamaha make good products. However, keyboards are very complex electronic machines, so sometimes a part will fail. Contack Yamaha and ask if they have any extended warranty in your country, patrick. Maybe you can get tre repair on the warranty?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:04:20 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Patrick

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:12:10 AM »
Hi Panos and Toril, no we'nt warranty here; just one year of warranty! But i've some freinds here that have had the same problems on theirs PSR S series; so i think that there's a problem on the mother board on the S Series; i've had 3 PSR before the S970 without problems! My S970 is like new; i'm just playing at home, so it's strange! Perhaps Something wrong on the mother board! The technician at the shop said: "your mother board must be replace; i've had already others owners like you with the same problem after 4 or 5 years". So it's like that; I would prefer that the KB will be made in Japan! I'm looking after the Korg PA1000 on YouTube seems to be more Professional!
All the best Patrick

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 01:19:19 AM »
With more than 3 decades of using Yamaha arranger keyboards on stage, often 6 to 7 days a week, I never experienced a failure of any kind. Now, I used my keyboards for many years before selling them online, and the folks that purchased them are still using them. From my experience, Yamaha arranger keyboards are built very well.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Patrick

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 06:41:05 AM »
Yes Gary, i was thinking like you; it was perhaps a bad mother board and it was for me! I'll buy an other Yamaha keyboard as you know; we"re most all the time having fun with it; have a good day Gary, cheers Patrick

:)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:20:50 PM by Patrick »

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 07:21:43 AM »
Yes you are right Gary,
but what happens with newer products that we all know that their prices now is more affordable although they can do lots of things better than the previous models.
I am referring to all electronic products,not just keyboards.
Is this effect their quality and in which ways?

I hope someone which is a technician of any kind of electronics to answer my simple question:
How is Patrick responsible or in which way he could damage a hardware component like the motherboard?
What he could do to damage such thing?

According to the laws of his country he should pay the damage because the guaranty lasts for 1 year.
According to Yamaha who is responsible for the damage of an s970's motherboard which is just 3 years old and the keyboard isn't physically damaged? 

Even if the motherboard failure is not something that happens often to psr S series
and it just happened to Patrick to buy a keyboard with a bad component that succeeded the tests,
is it  something he should pay because he just happened to be "unlucky" with his purchase?

I would really like to know because I have not studied electronics,
how Patrick could be the one who damaged his keyboard's mother board after 3 years of usage and in which way so the rest of us avoid to damage our (new) keyboard's motherboard.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:24:00 AM by panos »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 11:32:33 AM »
@panos
I think you already know the answer to your simple question, but for confirmations sake: no, keyboard owner can't influence the failure of electronic parts. But that fact changes nothing. After warranty period, we are on our own.

Even if the motherboard failure is not something that happens often to psr S series
how much is often?.. 1 out of 100, 3 out of 1000? The thing is, not every keyboard owner reports such things on forums. We don't know actual numbers, so we tend to think "it's something that just can't happen".
It's easier to get a picture with PC components (mainboards, graphic cards, routers, etc.), because there are much, much more people using it and report their experiences. Over the time, certain brands become "flagged" as unreliable, while other are recommended by most owners. Of course, "recommended" brand can fail too, however there all less chances for that to happen.
Speaking for me, if certain (expensive) product stops working normally shortly after exceeding warranty, I never decide for the same brand again. Thus, using it only at home, I give my PSR to work flawless for at least 8-10 years.

Just sharing my thoughts
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Anword

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »
I have same problem with psr-s975, repair is cost 500 $. What,s  happend to Yamaha? Why they not recalled this series to fix problem? Self-respecting world-brand should have done it.