Author Topic: Genos and Competition ?  (Read 24800 times)

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Genos and Competition ?
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2019, 02:21:32 AM »
Babette, your assessment is absolutely spot on. I have been performing in front of audiences since age 17 and I can assure anyone that it is a totally different approach than playing at home or in a home studio.

Not only must you be a great musician, but you must also be a great entertainer. Additionally, you must be able to sing, on key and with perfect timing.

There are no second chances. If you screw up, everyone notices, at least this is true for the majority of our audiences. I was on stage until age 76 and I was always asked to return. There is a lot of pressure on the OMB entertainer to do it right every time they perform, and never miss a beat or word in a song. At home, you can redo anything you wish, and there is no one there to throw rotted fruit at you, ;)

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline mikf

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »
Babette
There isnt such a huge difference. When I was playing gigs I didn’t actually play any differently than when I was playing at home, with the exception that you don’t usually experiment on stage in front of an audience.
What is coming out here is that  different things are important to different people. And not always for logical reasons. I would say that most really experienced performers know deep down that if you don’t perform very well, small differences in sound quality will not matter a ****, and are pretty subjective anyway. And that within acceptable norms, if you do perform well, nobody will notice.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2019, 01:30:01 PM »
Yes Mike I was the same. What you saw was what you got at home or gigs. I did do more preparation in the way of setting up my set list in the order asked for and selecting styles and registrations before hand. I don't sing so I had to make sure everything sounded good in the performance.
  At home I will just pick a style and then start playing songs that suit the style I have chosen. This is great fun and very relaxing. I do record the occasional song for posting on my forum and also prefer listening to Instrumental performances rather than Vocal. I like to hear how different people interpret 
the same songs.

beykock

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2019, 02:21:01 PM »

Hi Mike,

For a lot of reasons ( I already explained earlier ), I have a lot of respect and admiration for pro giggers ( OMB ).

Pro giggers ( in my perception ) are pro musicians.
They are excellent  keyboard players, pro singers,  great entertainers and last but not least " entrepreneurs " without personnel who have to earn their daily income by making music only.

Not an easy life, I guess :
high costs, hard work and almost no family life.

IMHO 90% ( or maybe more ) of this forum members are home players ( hobbyists ) and approx. 10% are pro musicians. Am I right ?

Babette

Offline pjd

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
I have found a hen's tooth. My local Guitar Center has a Korg Pa700 on the floor! This is the first time that I have found a demo Korg in the Boston area -- ever!

I don't want to provoke a Korg vs. Yamaha discussion. After trying some voices and styles, I hear and respect why some musicians prefer Korg. Vive la difference! Having been spoiled by Genos, I'm quite happy with my Genos. I did like Korg's Hammond B3 and even folks on the Yamaha Synth forum would agree that Yamaha needs to strengthen drawbar organ and rotary speaker emulation.

I didn't have time to try and evaluate workflow, etc. Maybe some other time. I have too much going on in real life, right now.

All the best -- pj

P.S. I like the Wurlitzer EP, too. It totally nails "What'd I Say".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:09:10 AM by pjd »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2019, 04:09:23 PM »
Babette, I would think, from my experience on this forum, that only about 2 percent of the players are pro performers and performing on stage as entertainers for a full time living. And, I could probably name them all. Sure, there were also some weekend performers as well, but those individuals had full time employment in fields other than music.

As a full-time, professional, musician/entertainer/vocalist you need to also be a bookkeeper, advertising agent, tax accountant, costume designer, public relations manager, transportation agent, accountant, salesperson, etc... On top of this, you had to find time to be a parent, spouse, caretaker when your spouse was ill, mow the lawn, take care of the gardens, make household repairs, and if you will lucky, find a few hours a night to sleep.

When a big job was coming up the next day, I often found sleep was nearly impossible, often lying awake in bed thinking of every aspect of the job and what songs I was going to perform in front of 1,000 people that I had never encountered in the past and had no idea of their musical likes or dislikes. Fortunately, I have always been able to read a crowd within a few minutes and get things going without a hitch. This, for many, is a very daunting aspect of being on stage. In order to cope with this, many musicians take to drugs and alcohol, which killed many of the best performers.

Now, Mike is correct that small differences in sound will not be noticed by most audience members, and for this I was always grateful. However, those sound differences were often masked by the overall sound quality of our PA systems used in the past, which were frequently distorted at higher volumes. When performers switched to vertical array systems such as Bose L1 PAS and L1 Compact systems, the clarity was such that everyone could hear every note and word perfectly, and the coverage was so much improved that everyone in the entire venue was quite aware when you made even a minor mistake. My wife was the first to notice this when I first purchased the Bose PAS system and she was in the audience of a noisy nite club. At the end of a performance she said, "Wow - you hit a couple sour notes when you performed the high notes of New York, New York." I'm sure she was not the only person in that audience that heard this. I had made a mistake when I started the song and played it in a key that was at the very top end of my vocal range.

Good topic, everyone,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

DonM

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2019, 04:55:17 PM »
It depends on the venue and the audience as to how discerning they are.
I've found that if you get the "hook" right and most of the words, most people are satisfied. 
In a concert situation, the audience may be more knowledgeable and know all the words, and actually be listening very closely. 
I've done four to six nights a week for the past 45 years.   A lot of it has been in the same venue, in the club room at a high-end dining establishment.  Sometimes you do a song perfectly; sometimes you have to "fake" a request and, as mentioned, do enough of it right for them to recognize.  Most don't listen that closely as they are eating, talking and texting.  :)
The real task for me is to keep things fresh.  I have lots of repeat customers and have to know which songs are their favorites, yet try not to get in a rut and do the same songs the same way over and over.
I suppose that is one reason I change arrangers a lot.  I currently have one of every brand; Korg, Roland, Ketron and Yamaha.  For me the Korg fits best in most occasions, but all are fantastic these days.
This week, in addition to my regular nights, I have an outdoor pool party Sunday and a private function in the main dining room where I work on Monday, a night where the place is usually closed.  I have at least two of everything, so will be able to leave all my regular gear in place tonight and still be able to handle the other two jobs.
These days I very seldom play or practice at home.  If I want to learn a new song, I'll listen to it several times, write down the chords and lyrics and save it all to my lyrics folder, or to Songbook or Registration as it may me.
I often experiment with these on the job, but after everyone has left.  When I'm comfortable with it I add it to the "regular" list.
Sometimes it's nece$$ary to do a request I don't know very well.  I can Google the lyrics and chords and do most songs, IF I'm familiar with the melody. 
It's a very interesting way to make a living!

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2019, 05:00:21 PM »
I have found a hen's tooth. My local Guitar Center has a Korg Pa700 on the floor! This is the first time that I have found a demo Korg in the Boston area -- ever!

I don't want to provoke a Korg vs. Yamaha discussion. After trying some voices and styles, I hear and respect why some musicians prefer Korg. Vive la difference! Having been spoiled by Genos, I'm quite happy with my Genos. I did like Korg's Hammond B3 and even folks on the Yamaha Synth forum would agree that Yamaha needs to strengthen drawbar organ and rotary speaker emulation.

I didn't have time to try and evaluate workflow, etc. Maybe some other time. I have too much going on in real life, right now.

All the best -- pj
Hi PJ,

Maybe in a few months time you’ll get this demo PA700 on sale at a bargain price... might be fun to try out this board at the side of the Genos...

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

beykock

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2019, 05:04:37 PM »
Hi Gary :

Very interesting how you describe how the daily life of a pro gigger looks like.

I think you are right that only 2% of this group are pro's.

For me real pro's are those giggers who have only one source ( making music ) of income like our friend Abby e.g.

Like most other pro musicians ( drummers, guitar players etc. ) giggers have no personnel.
They all have their own business but they are always alone ... a vulnerable and risky work situation, I guess.

I understand some giggers have made agreements with other giggers to help each other out in case of emergency
 ( sickness e.g. ) to avoid customers are running away.

All by all a very special profession.

Best regards, Babette

Offline mikf

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2019, 05:38:31 PM »
I've found that if you get the "hook" right and most of the words, most people are satisfied. 
Very down to earth statement don .LOL .. But only true if you already do the basics well - like pick suitable songs, sing in tune and play competently - as you and Gary definitely do :D
 I'll bet that no one has ever told either of you the performance sucks because you overused the DSPs or because the styles are not well written, or because you need to tweak the equalizer. Unless it is amazingly bad, this is the stuff that only the player might notice, and even then more down to personal preference than good or bad.
Mike

beykock

« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »
Hi Don :

Thank you for your reply.
Nice to share your gigging experiences.👍

Babette
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:43:39 PM by beykock »

Offline pjd

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2019, 12:13:59 AM »
Very down to earth statement don .LOL .. But only true if you already do the basics well - like pick suitable songs, sing in tune and play competently - as you and Gary definitely do :D
 I'll bet that no one has ever told either of you the performance sucks because you overused the DSPs or because the styles are not well written, or because you need to tweak the equalizer. Unless it is amazingly bad, this is the stuff that only the player might notice, and even then more down to personal preference than good or bad.
Mike

Amen! Most of the comments that I get from people is when the music moves them emotionally. They could care less about the actual technology.

-- pj

Offline StuartR

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2019, 04:15:49 AM »

All the best -- pj

P.S. I like the Wurlitzer EP, too. It totally nails "What'd I Say".

I bought the PA1000 last year and use it for impromptu jam sessions as it has a 60w/ channel amp and speakers. Sounds pretty good too but of course the keyboard doesn't compare to the Genos.

DonM

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2019, 06:35:06 AM »
Mike

Thank you Mike.  You are one of the few on this forum who have actually seen me play and croak in person.  :)
When you comin' back?

Offline mikf

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2019, 04:00:30 PM »
Hi Don
I would love to come back and see you, but since I retired I have not been back to your area. Its quite a treck from Houston, but you never know.
I spend almost half the year outside the country now, and am in Scotland at the moment, until end September. Of course if you are ever in the Houston area during the winter months you must come and see me, we can play a little golf.
Mike

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2019, 04:49:42 PM »
Hi Kaarlo,

.....I would like to know why you finally have decided to buy a Genos ?

.....Do you regret this decision ? 

.....What are your plans for the near future ?
......Is it your intention to sell your Genos and replace it ?

Dear Babette,
had a gig yesterday. I enclose a photo from the Tapiola Golf Club to avoid being told I do not have a Genos and that my playing is so bad I  am incompetent to evaluate  the best keyboard ever created    ;)  .   

The reasons I finally bought the Genos were very present:
weight and size :)   Mi wife 79 and myself 84 were able to  put the Genos  leftt to right against the collapsed rear seat of my Range Rover (My T 5  could not be loaded that way)
The sound was (for me)   excellent as on T5, the drums IMHO better. 

Also the things I  strongly dislike were very present. 
[/color]
Even with the shield you can see in the photo for me it was very difficult to see  the display due to being outside on a bright day.  (No direct sun on the screen) But I have been told  "stop complaining, only a fraction of of giggers play outside"  So I must be the great exception as I have for decades in summertime had many outdoors gigs.
The unfortunate   black color
made the pollen in the air at this time of the year very visible,  it also made the temperature of the  case go to 38 C.  The metal finish T 5 never did that.  Before someone asks how I know let me just point out I have a  pro infrared  instant measurement device just as I have a pro dB meter. (Expensive items, not purchased for Genos but for my military remote controlled target projects)
As always there were errors in the registration banks.
  The display shows what you programmed under each button, the Genos feels entitled to disregard what you see on its screen. I posted a lot about that but gave up as I was declared incompetent to critisize Genos.

I have no plans for the future. I will continue to gig with the Genos as long as people are willing to pay 500 € to our president's childrens relief fund for hearing me sing and play.  The reasonalbe assumption is it might soon all be over.

Even if the competition came out with a perfect replacement for the Genos
I doubt I would want to learn a different system, and I beleive that is the case even with younger buyers of the Genos. And that is the reason why manufacturers can treat us the way they do, use us as guinea pigs with OS versions that do not function  (Genos 1.1), leave our mails unanswered - of course I am the only one  ;)  that has that experience  - and once they got our money  leave us out in the cold.   

Cheers

Kaarlo

beykock

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2019, 06:44:06 PM »
Hello Kaarlo :

Thank you for your reply.

I want to present my deepest respect for your volunteer work. Wonderful and very noble !

I feel very sorry and sad to hear you are not happy with your present arranger keyboard.

Hopefully the next update ( June 28, 2019 ) will bring you the answer you are looking for ?
I am afraid it will never solve all your problems and frustrations though. :'(

I understand you prefer to stay with Yamaha since you are used to Yamaha's system but why not go for another arranger if you are absolutely not pleased ?

You are a free man, it is your money and your life.
Nobody will blame you if you should decide to sell your present arranger keyboard and buy the one you like that offers you the features you want.

" The Yamaha system " is not so important.
The joy of playing an instrument must bring you a lot of fun and the happiness you deserve at your age, IMHO.

Take care !

Best regards, Babette

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:53:38 PM by beykock »

Bachus

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »
Bachus,

In this message I have trIed to tell/explain there is a huge difference ( night and day ) between a commercial live performance ( in- and/or outdoor, in front of an audience ) and  playing ( alone ) at home where the sound situation is perfect without the presence of a critical audience and where mistakes are allowed and always can/will be corrected and/or repaired easily.

Babette

Lets reread your orriginal question...

For the time being it looks like the Genos has only one  competitor : the Korg PA4X.
A Korg PA5X is not expected soon after Korg have presented the PA4X update recently.

Wersi and Ketron seem not to be very active to introduce new arranger keyboards soon.
Is it their intention to launch new highend arrangers during the Musikmesse 2019 ?

Babette

So one needs to be a gigging musician to have an opinion on that question?

I think music making is all about what your ears tell you
And having owned both a pa4x and a Genos(one of the few here) i dare consider myself an expert on the differences between them..   its up to you, to weight my opinion.. i can’t do that for you...

But asking non giggers not to answer a question or have an opinion on your orriginal question...thats a bit narrowminded, don’t you agree?

And yes differen’t players, different needs, thats clear to... different situation different needs, is also clear...  but when having a discusion about styles and the differences between the brands... i don’t see how one needs to be a pro musician to have an opinion on that... 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:18:40 PM by Bachus »

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

beykock

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2019, 10:55:55 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Thank you for your reply but I feel sorry to inform you I am not capable to answer your questions, remarks and/or comments. 😨

I am just a simple home player and love to learn a lot here ...
I am not an expert.

Babette
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:02:06 PM by beykock »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2019, 12:54:09 AM »
Be nice, Bachus. From what I have read, Babette is not saying that non-pro gigging musicians cannot answer the questions - but instead, she is merely stating her opinion, which she has every right to state. Calling someone narrow-minded is insulting and will not be tolerated on this forum. There is no such thing as an expert - just people that claim to be experts. Granted, some have a bit more expertise than others in some fields of endeavor, but no one has all the answers - not even Yamaha, Korg, etc...

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Bachus

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2019, 04:21:45 AM »
Be nice, Bachus. From what I have read, Babette is not saying that non-pro gigging musicians cannot answer the questions - but instead, she is merely stating her opinion, which she has every right to state. Calling someone narrow-minded is insulting and will not be tolerated on this forum. There is no such thing as an expert - just people that claim to be experts. Granted, some have a bit more expertise than others in some fields of endeavor, but no one has all the answers - not even Yamaha, Korg, etc...

All the best,

Gary 8)

Sorry there...

But i am not saying she is narrow minded...
Just that a remark she made comes a cross a “bit” narrowminded..
Thats a world of difference where i come from..

One is an insult..
The other is part of open and honest modern communication..

But if there is an appology in place..
I will certainly appologize as i never meant to insult her.

Bachus

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2019, 04:24:21 AM »
Back on topic...

The Genos is a near perfect arranger for me, nothing else comes close..
While it still lacks as a workstation...  thats where Korg is clearly ahead..

If that makes sense to anyone?

beykock

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »
Apologies accepted, Bachus.🌟

Babette
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:24:44 AM by beykock »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2019, 02:32:41 PM »
I agree about Genos Bachus, I am looking forward to the new update though as I think it will make some operations much easier.

Offline Yinon

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »
I couldn't hold myself and bought a Pa4X ....

Prices are going down in the US and I got a 76 key, new, for $2800.
Before I continue and before the good people on this forum start bashing me I will state immanently - I'm keeping my Genos too  8)

I have it for a week and here are the few things I notices Immediately.

Since this tread has over 70 replies and it is sometimes going sideways, I'm starting a new tread so folks can see focus on the differences between Genos and its biggest US challenger.

Cheers

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2019, 03:48:36 PM »
No one is going to bash you for purchasing a brand other than Yamaha.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline valimaties

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2019, 07:03:10 PM »
I agree about Genos Bachus, I am looking forward to the new update though as I think it will make some operations much easier.

A BIG word you said here, Eileen :)

That's what we look for when we all make/sing music, especially on gigs  :D

Best regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2019, 04:37:47 PM »
No one is going to bash you for purchasing a brand other than Yamaha.

Good luck,

Gary 8)

Gary, you know I highly respect you which is why I always read your posts.  Maybe  Yinon is not going to be bashed, but might earn the honoray title of "Clown"   ;) I found out the hard way what is actually clearly stated, on this site:  you should not write a competing keyboard is better than any YAMAHA model.  This is a YAMAHA site.   I never did compare as I did not have a non-YAMAHA keyboard, I only compared Genos with T 5 and as a standard answer got "Genos" is a completely different animal" which was not very helpful.   I have stopped  writing about IMHO severe problems with my Genos as it seems posters know I am the only one that has them; Let me stress that I have recieved valauble "how to get around" inherent not so good implementations which hopefully are being fixed in 1.4.  But to be honest, I still carry a residual grudge for having been told, Genos was faultless at 1.1. I had never been on a forum before and did not understand the "right or wrong my country" principle was applied.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2019, 08:52:19 PM »
Hello Kaarlo :

" The Yamaha system " is not so important.

Best regards, Babette

Babette

I own a Yamaha Genos keyboard and I understand what Kaarlo is stating when he says that moving to another keyboard (ie. Korg) and learning a new non-Yamaha system seems to be a challenging task.    I am in the same situation.

I am not trying to put words in Kaarlo's mouth, just saying that i understand and relate to his statement. 

I believe Kaarlo stated that he gigs for public.  When you do that and have hundreds of songs/registrations already set up in your keyboard (in this case Genos) it is very challenging moving to another keyboard.  In some cases even from Yamaha to Yamaha.

Because you already have everything setup and ready to go for your gigs.   In my case, in addition to hundreds of registrations already setup, I also have hundreds of PDF's already linked from iPad to Genos.    Some people have external multipads, midis, voices,  etc.   In some cases people have additional hardware already working with the current keyboard.

This means you already have a system setup and when you perform a song, you bring everything up very very quickly: PDF, registrations, key, tempo, style, volume, VH, etc. in a matter of seconds you are ready to perform from one song to another.    At home this is not that important, but when gigging in public This is critical.

Moving all of that setup system and linking it to another keyboard say Korg (or sometimes even another Yamaha keyboard) can be a tremendous amount of time and effort and in some cases bottom line money.   You have to do all of this moving effort and more importantly TEST all of it and everything, every little piece of your system before you can go public with another keyboard.

So, i understand the statement feels like you are tied to a given system and In a way that is the case.  (for some of us anyway)

When i moved from T5 to Genos it was somewhat easier because it is the same family but still had to do a lot of work.  I can just imagine moving to another brand. 

I know you meant well and was actually trying to encourage Kaarlo . . .. . . So, I am not debating or disqualifying just trying to explain why sometimes it is not so easy to move to another system or keyboard/brand. 

I think Korg is an excellent keyboard in some areas better than Yamaha. In some other areas Yamaha is better. 

I have thought about buying a Korg many times. Personally i like Korg a lot and specially their Latin styles which i play quite a bit.    I actually have lots of Korg styles on my Genos they are superb.   But when I realize all the work involved in migrating to Korg I just keep on the Yamaha 'system'.   I am not loyal to a brand, but to a performance system.

On the other hand, for some people might be easier or just about the same playing one brand keyboard or another brand because they do not rely on a setup system. They rely solely on their playing skills.  Skills so high that can easily transfer from one keyboard to another no matter what the brand.   I admire that.

So, i guess is all in what each person relies on.

Thanks and have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

beykock

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2019, 09:53:21 PM »
Hi Al Ram :

You are absolutely right.
Probably my conclusion came too fast.
Sorry ! 😧

Best regards, Babette

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2019, 10:19:13 PM »
Kaarlo, the person that posted that about you was reprimanded for his post, and if I recall, the same person was later banned. The moderators on this site do not and will not tolerate that kind of bashing of other members. This is probably why this site is among the top Yamaha arranger keyboard sites on the entire internet.

PS: I have a white tuxedo that I wore for many formal parties I performed during the hot summer months. Guess I was one of those clowns in a white suit also. ;)

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...