Author Topic: one more try,song recording.  (Read 3188 times)

Robfind

one more try,song recording.
« on: March 14, 2019, 04:45:45 PM »
I will try to be as clear and precise as I can so we will not misunderstand each other.This is not my first rodeo,I have had a few Yamahas in the past 40 years the last one was s950 before this new one s975.I am not a musician,I do not read music but I have a good ear and sing in tune that is all I want or need.Now with this machine I can sing live with SHURE 20 headset 1/4 inch jack(only option) nice and clear either karaoke style with mp 3 loaded in USB AUDIO PLAYER or left and right keyboard played with chords and all.
The problem is I cannot record my singing performance with either recorder the one on the right and the song recorder on the left of the keyboard,now let me tell you I have read and reread the 100 pages of the owners manual and the reference manual both in french and english,I have youtube on my 55 in tv so I have watched for hours and hours ALL the chanels relating to yamaha keyboards even the tyros and genos for the last 4 months.Plus I got all the tools to search internet on either a pc or a tablet or smart phone.
I live on the sixth and last floor of 103 aprtments for older folks so I use headphones at all time but I like my voice(MIGHT BE THE ONLY ONE THAT DOES)but i DON'T CARE.I spent $3000 this machine and I dont know what Im doing wrong.
I think I read or heard that recording cannot be done on this machine but I doubt it since it was so easy on the S950 to record on a USB pendrive or stick .I did reach to one member he replied the same day and I might have written in mandarin because he did not address my microphone problem at all,so that is why I was a little upset in the other post.
i
this time I took my time to explain the best I could.so please dont ask me to watch you tube,or go to the one store in this small town or read the instruction,been there and done all that.
maybe one of you will put a finger on EXACTLY what I missed.

Thank you
ROBFIND,Bob Findlay

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: one more try,song recording.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »
Apologies if I have misunderstood, but from your post, it sounds as if you are trying to record USB Audio, at the same time as playing pack an mp3 audio file on the keyboard's player!

I don't think that you can do that!   As far as I know, the USB Audio function can only be used for either playback or recording at any one time, not both together!

A solution to your problem might be to use an external mp3 player (e.g. a computer or portable audio player) with it's audio output (or headphone socket) connected to the 'AUX IN' sockets on the rear of the S975.

Both the signal from the 'AUX IN' and the 'MIC/GUITAR INPUT' will then be recorded by the USB Audio function.

Regards

Ian 

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:55:06 PM »
Bob
I think now that you have been clear about what you are trying to do, someone will advise. You can of course record both audio and midi on a 975. I do not have a PSR975 so cannot be certain, but Ian might be right that you cannot simultaneously download an MP3 from a USB and record back to that same USB. I am sure a 975 owner will chip in and confirm or offer an alternative.
However you should definitely be able to record voice over chords and accompaniment played on the keyboard, so if that is not happening you must be doing something wrong. First thing to check is if that works, and if not, are you trying to record midi instead of audio. You cannot record vocal on a midi.
We will work through this.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:27:16 PM »
You will have to use a mid file for your backing. Then set up your Audio recorder. Press Record on Audio and then press play on midi song and then just sing along to it. Your voice will then be recorded along with the midi backing. You can of course play your keyboard while you sing along but you can not play back  Audio or MP3 files whilst recording in Audio. This applies to all Yamaha keyboards.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:02:53 PM »
Let me try to provide you with a similar scenario. For example, lets say you have a digital, stand alone recorder/player with a mic plugged into the input. At this point, you turn on the player and begin playing an MP3 or .WAV file with the player. Now, you can sing into the mic, along with the player, you can hear your voice coming over the headphones, and all this is just fine. However, because the recorder/player is in the play mode, YOU CANNOT record at the same time. If you were to press the record button, the device would switch to the record mode and could no longer play the MP3 or WAV file, thus it would only record your voice.

The same is true with any recorder other than very expensive, multi-track recording devices, or multi-track recording software, such as Audacity, which will allow both playback and record to operate simultaneously.

The S975 recorder/player is a stereo recorder/player, but not multi-track. Therefore only a single function is permitted per operation. However, you can do as Eileen suggests, which is to create a midi file, which can then be played back using the onboard midi player/recorder, which will then be fired through the sound system and allow you to record everything coming from the keyboard's audio system and save it as a .wav file. The same would be true if you played the song live, during which time you would be recording the entire contents of the keyboard's audio system.

The only other option you have is to use a multi-track program such as Audacity, which can be downloaded for FREE. It's a great program and very easy to use.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »
Rob, were you able to do what you want on a previous Yamaha keyboard?
Genos

Robfind

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »
This time y'all understood what i was trying to do!
And since it's been 10 yrs since I had the s950 I just realized I had no kar  files back then.

Thank you all very much for your time,I will have a phone conference today with a fellow Canadian.
ROBFIND Bob Findlay

Robfind

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »
This time y'all understood what i was trying to do!
And since it's been 10 yrs since I had the s950 I just realized I had no kar  files back then.

Thank you all very much for your time,I will have a phone conference today with a fellow Canadian.
ROBFIND Bob Findlay

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 06:54:57 PM »
Bob
Not sure what you mean by ‘this time’ we understood. I looked back at all your posts and this is the first time you have asked this question. There were previous questions about hooking up TVs, what kind of mic to buy and how to store files in registrations. But this is the first on recording difficulties.
Mike