Author Topic: Thumb drive or KB problem?  (Read 5940 times)

btweengigs

Thumb drive or KB problem?
« on: March 06, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »
Twice on a gig yesterday all audio quit mid song. First time I re-booted...and it happened again. So I turned it off and re-initialized while turning on. From that point on it did not quit, but some of my registrations changed and Vocal Harmony turned on every time I tapped on a new registration. Registrations linking midi or MP3 files were no longer linked.

When I got home, I booted up the KB and could not replicate the problem. Everything worked just fine.
I have two PSR E-970s using s
San Disc thumb drives and it has happened to both of them at different times. It is very infrequent...but a main pain when it happens. My conclusion: Bad thumb drive. I have backups and now using a brand new thumb drive keeping my fingers crossed when I go out on a job now.
Eddie

Offline Toril S

Re: Thumb drive or KB problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »
My SanDisk thumb drive just stopped working on the keyboard. The KB says it is wright protected. This is not the case, and on the PC all is OK. Never had any problems with Kingston drives!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »
Not saying this is likely, but it could be a stealth problem waiting to bite someone someday:  Power or wiring problem(s) at a venue.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:48:17 PM »
If a USB thumb drive (or memory card) is in question, give this utility a try to test it.... 'USB Flash Drive Tester'
https://www.vconsole.com/download

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector

btweengigs

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:39:26 AM »
Flash Drive Tester....  Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
I first tried d/l to iMac...but it is a Windows app.
Giving it a go right now.
Eddie

btweengigs

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 07:18:38 PM »
So far three thumb drives have been tested using Mark's suggestion and no problems found.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »
Eddie are the usb drives 2.0 or 3.0?

VilleGuy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 07:37:04 PM »
Interesting...I have a PSR S970 and during practice the other day I got a couple of freezes that required me to reboot.

btweengigs

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 08:39:30 PM »
Donny.... I have several SanDisk micro thumb drives...they are not marked as to 2.0 or 3.0 so I don't know.  It happened again last night on a fairly big job when I was using an onboard style.  One re-boot and I was good for another hour.

VilleGuy... I think we are talking about the same thing. I never thought of it as a "freeze"... All output sound quits. I can change registrations and styles...but no audio until I reboot.   Maddening!
Eddie

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 09:05:58 PM »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: jerryghr, Dick Rector

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 09:52:49 PM »
I get this freeze on my 975 if I do some operations too quickly. It is normal. The keyboard has a slow CPU i think. And I am an impatient person😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

btweengigs

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »
Donny...
I'm using 3.0 drives.
Now going to change power adapter.
E

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 11:14:22 PM »
You can use 2.0 and 3.0. It doesn't matter. But the keyboard is only 2.0 compatible, so it will not load files any faster. However, the PC will, and we keyboard players tend to have a lot of files, so 3.0 makes it go faster on the PC at least.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 04:23:11 AM »
Ed, I believe you are overloading the power adapter - or it is defective and easily overloads. I had this problem once with the 3000, changed out the adapter and never experienced it again.

It could also be a corrupt file, or a file that is too large to load properly and locks up the system.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

btweengigs

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
Gary... I'm going to use the power adapter from my other 970 and see if that works. Also concerned I may just have too much stuff on my 32 gig thumb drive. Lots of 3rd party styles, SMFs, MP3s and custom settings.
Ed

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 07:46:11 PM »
Ed, that's usually not a problem unless one of the folders has too many files, then this can result in a lock up situation at times. This too happened with the 3000.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

btweengigs

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanks Gary. Got two things in the works.
1. I changed the power supply. Did a short 1 hr gig this afternoon... no problem. It usually doesn't happen in the first hour anyway, soooo
2. I'm in the process of trimming the folders in my master thumb drive by moving portions of large folders to smaller ones. I still have one folder with just over 400 MBs.... but previously it had almost a gig. It sure would help to know the max size of a folder to be on the safe side.
E

VilleGuy

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 04:57:02 AM »
Eddie, my S970 froze twice again today during a practice. After I reboot all is fine, but I'd like to know the cause.

Next time it does I'll try to see if any buttons are responsive, but as I recall nothing responds, which is why I reboot.