Author Topic: Midi template for attaching second keyboard to create an organ type set up  (Read 7711 times)

Offline MIKEP

Leigh Wilbraham wrote an article for Yamaha Club magazine about how to attach a second keyboard to Tyros 5 to create an organ setup. Has anybody attached a second keyboard to their Genos as the midi menu is different on the Genos. Any help with the settings and template would be appreciated.
Mike

Offline zionip

Hi Mike,

I went with a software called V-Console for Genos, which runs on a Windows 10 touchscreen tablet, to combine Genos and another keyboard into an organ:
https://www.tyrosmagic.com/v-console

V-Console for Genos is not cheap.  I paid £399 for the software only (delivered by downloading).  This software comes with pre-configured MIDI templates that saves us a lot of time to configure Genos, a lower keyboard, and a MIDI bass pedal properly as an integrated organ.  The developer of V-Console, John Beesley, a skillful organist himself, is very knowledgeable.  John is very responsive in supporting users of V-Console through phone (for UK users) and emails. 

Genos, the upper keyboard, communicates through USB connection with the Windows 10 touchscreen tablet through USB2 channel 8.  The lower keyboard communicates either through USB or MIDI channel 1 with the Windows 10 tablet, and the MIDI bass pedal through MIDI channel 3.  All sounds come from Genos, and we can trigger chord changes on both Genos and the lower keyboard.

Here is the latest hardware configuration of my V-Console for Genos (Genos, Korg Kronos 2 88 on Jaspers KR-170-4-150S keyboard rack, JG3 24-note MIDI bass pedal):

BTW, the Jaspers KR-170-4-150S keyboard rack is the most versatile and sturdy keyboard stand I have ever used for home studio setup.  It allows very flexible placements of Genos and the lower keyboard so that Genos can be tilted at the preferred angle without blocking the control surface of the lower keyboard.  Each tier of this keyboard rack allows individually adjustable front to back placements, particularly suitable for an organ type setup.  This rack also allows direct mounting of near field monitors, laptop stand, microphone, monitors, additional keyboards and sound modules.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: gio

Offline MIKEP

Managed to sort the template thank you. The lower keyboard is set to the Left voice. However, the problem I now have is that the style is triggered no matter where I finger the chord on the lower keyboard. Preferably I want the style to be triggered on the left hand side of the lower keyboard. As far as I can see the split point is correctly set, but obviously I am missing something. Can anyone explain how to get the style to trigger only on the left of the lower keyboard.
Mike

Offline EileenL

As far as I remember you set the split point to the very last note on the keyboard.

Bachus

Managed to sort the template thank you. The lower keyboard is set to the Left voice. However, the problem I now have is that the style is triggered no matter where I finger the chord on the lower keyboard. Preferably I want the style to be triggered on the left hand side of the lower keyboard. As far as I can see the split point is correctly set, but obviously I am missing something. Can anyone explain how to get the style to trigger only on the left of the lower keyboard.
Mike

There is one easy solution for this..

Thats a PC program called V-console
Which works for both the T5 as well as the Genos

Its quite expensive tough.

to do what you want manually takes some decent knowledge of midi..

first of all, you need to assign a splitpoint on the added keybed..
This is something the Tyros/Genos can not do for you.

And then you need to set up the Genos/t5 so it recieves those midi channels on the song parts, and then use song parts 1 and 2 for assigning voices to left and right.
but it will never offer what the V-console offers you...

just check the link Paul provided.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:35:15 AM by Bachus »

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline MIKEP

According to Yamaha Tech Support it is not possible to separate style and left voice on the lower keyboard. Does anyone have an alternative solution to this?
Mike

Offline jwyvern

I do not know what alternatives you have tried, but you can connect your 2nd KB midi out to Port2 midi in of Genos. That gives you options depending on the choice of channel, if you look at Receive section in the All Parts Template. For instance Ch1 let's you use the KB in the same way as if you were playing the GENOS KB.
Other channels are allocated to individual panel voices.
Is there something here you can use?
John

Offline MIKEP

Hi john
I have just re-visited the suggestion you made. Changing port 2 channel 1 to Left means the lower keyboard just plays the Left voicei which is what I wanted. I still have to trigger the style from the Genos though I can live with that! Another question beckons from this. Is it possible to add say the R1 voice to the Left on the lower keyboard?
Thank you.
Mike

Offline jwyvern

Quoting Mike,
"Is it possible to add say the R1 voice to the Left on the lower keyboard?"

You mean you want the existing left voice plus R1 voice to layer together when the left side is played? I can't give you a foolproof way to ensure that it works under all playing conditions, but you can connect the port A midi in and out via a midi cable. You can now set in the All Parts Template for only note data to be transmitted from the Left channel. (cancel ticks in cc, pc, pb and at columns). In the Receive part of the template change Port1 Ch4 from Song to R1. Also make sure only note data will be received for this channel. This is to ensure that settings and voice changes do not cause chaos by being duplicated on the other channel. Using the above setup I was able but only as a quick trial to set up different voices in Left and R1 and hear them layered when playing on the left of split point.
As hinted above if you want to follow this up it will probably take time to work with and customise it, fine tune those midi settings and be happy to accept it as a routine setup.
John
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:07:58 PM by jwyvern »

Offline MIKEP

Thank you John for a quick reply. I will explore this.
Mike

Offline MIKEP

Re-visiting this project and without going to the expense of a V-Console can anyone else give a solution i.e. How to layer say R1 voice with the Left voice on the lower keyboard (NP32), while still retaining the R1 voice on the Genos top keyboard. The Left on the lower keyboard is achieved by changing the All Parts template Port 2 Channel 1 to Left. I have tried various ways to achieve my goal but without success.
Mike

Offline gio

Hi Mike,

I went with a software called V-Console for Genos, which runs on a Windows 10 touchscreen tablet, to combine Genos and another keyboard into an organ:

V-Console for Genos is not cheap.  I paid £399 for the software only (delivered by downloading).  This software comes with pre-configured MIDI templates that saves us a lot of time to configure Genos, a lower keyboard, and a MIDI bass pedal properly as an integrated organ.  The developer of V-Console, John Beesley, a skillful organist himself, is very knowledgeable.  John is very responsive in supporting users of V-Console through phone (for UK users) and emails. 

Genos, the upper keyboard, communicates through USB connection with the Windows 10 touchscreen tablet through USB2 channel 8.  The lower keyboard communicates either through USB or MIDI channel 1 with the Windows 10 tablet, and the MIDI bass pedal through MIDI channel 3.  All sounds come from Genos, and we can trigger chord changes on both Genos and the lower keyboard.

Here is the latest hardware configuration of my V-Console for Genos (Genos, Korg Kronos 2 88 on Jaspers KR-170-4-150S keyboard rack, JG3 24-note MIDI bass pedal):

BTW, the Jaspers KR-170-4-150S keyboard rack is the most versatile and sturdy keyboard stand I have ever used for home studio setup.  It allows very flexible placements of Genos and the lower keyboard so that Genos can be tilted at the preferred angle without blocking the control surface of the lower keyboard.  Each tier of this keyboard rack allows individually adjustable front to back placements, particularly suitable for an organ type setup.  This rack also allows direct mounting of near field monitors, laptop stand, microphone, monitors, additional keyboards and sound modules.

Thanks,
Paul

This is the setup iv been dreaming to have!
Your studio is heaven!   Thanks for sharing a picture

Offline musicman01

Dear Mike,
to answer your question, it is only possible if the second keyboard has its own split setting!
To give an example: Nord Electro or Stage, these can set their own split.
In my case I have a fantastic Korg PA4x 76 "Musikant" as a second keyboard or vice versa.
I can play like with an organ, with a bass pedal connected to the Korg.
I also have the V-console but it is an expensive option with some issues such as PC compatibility.
The only problem I have is transposing.

Argento

Hi Mike,

Thanks,
Paul

******* amazing studio you have there Paul!! superb!, congratulations!

tyrosman

hi all im having a problem with trying to get a walking C Bass can any body show me there midi template settings for a Genos twin set because when i switch on the bass pedal,s i get a piano sound the bass pedals i have is the Hammong XPK 130 G

Offline overover

hi all im having a problem with trying to get a walking C Bass can any body show me there midi template settings for a Genos twin set because when i switch on the bass pedal,s i get a piano sound the bass pedals i have is the Hammong XPK 130 G

Hi tyrosman,

there are several different methods to assign a MIDI Bass Pedal to a Yamaha keyboard like the Genos.

The easiest way is, in my opinion, to use either the LEFT Part or the RIGHT 3 Part for the Voice played by the Bass Pedal:

- Connect the Bass Pedal to the DIN MIDI IN B socket. Then open the MIDI display (Menu > MIDI) and make sure that the Preset MIDI template "All Parts" is selected.

- Go to "Receive" tab, scroll down to "Port2  Ch1" and select the Keyboard Part to be played by the Bass Pedal. (If the Pedal doesn't transmit on Channel 1, you have to use the line of the correct Channel.)

- Touch "Save" to save your changed MIDI template in User drive. (Use a meaningful name.)

- Make sure that your User MIDI template is selected now.

- Finished! :)

Another Method is to use an internal SONG channel for the Bass Pedal Voice:

- In this case connect the Bass Pedal to the DIN MIDI IN A socket and use the Preset MIDI template "All Parts". Make sure the Pedal transmits on Channel 1.

- Now you should hear a Piano Voice when playing the Bass Pedal.

- To change the Bass Pedal Voice just make some little MIDI Song files:

- Load the desired Bass Voice in the RIGHT 1 Part.

- Use "MIDI Quick Recording" to record just one single note with that Bass Voice.

- Save the MIDI Song file with a meaningful name in User drive or to a USB stick

- When you load this MIDI Song file later, the recorded Voice will be set for the SONG Part 1 (which is assigned to Channel 1l, and you can play the Voice by the Bass Pedal.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:08:22 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)