Author Topic: PSR-S957 Drivers  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Brian 007

PSR-S957 Drivers
« on: March 04, 2019, 03:54:34 PM »
hI aLL,

What drivers are needed to play midi in to Cakewalk  on a computer from a Yamaha PSR-S957
There seems to be two , 1/ a midi driver and 2/ Steinberg  Driver  any help would be much appreciated

Brian007

SeaGtGruff

Re: PSR-S957 Drivers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 08:21:34 PM »
I don’t think you need a driver at all, because the PSR-S975 is “class-compliant” and isn’t supposed to require a driver. But if you want to install a driver (which can help with some computer systems), you want to use the first one— the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver. The other driver— the Steinberg USB driver— is for models that have a built-in USB audio interface, which I don’t think the PSR-S975 has. (It’s not the same thing as being able to record audio onto a USB drive.)

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:22:20 PM »
Hi Brian --

I just plug in and go. The latest models are MIDI class compliant and don't need a specialized driver.

As Michael mentioned, there are reasons to go with a particular driver (e.g., low latency audio). I have an aversion to loading extra drivers and have somehow geen able to get away without them. Why invite trouble into the house?  :)

All the best -- pj

P.S. I use both Cakewalk and Cubase.

Offline Brian 007

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 07:34:50 AM »
Hi Michael and PJD.

THanks alot for the replies, will do as you say and try it without and see how I get on,

All the best,  Brian007

Offline NASAMike

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 07:28:14 PM »
Just one thing to note, to get full control of the 975 from Cakewalk you need the proper instrument definition file.  I can't find one for the 970 which I have (or 975) so I've been using my old 910 ins.def, which mostly works well but it doesn't have many of the new voices defined.

Thx,
NASAMike

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »
For the couple of minutes it takes to download and install, just go get the proper Yamaha USB-MIDI driver. Relying on generic drivers from Microsoft? I wouldn't if there was an alternative.

No real reason to have an aversion to installing the correct drivers for a device. They're written specifically to work better than the generic ones.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Brian 007

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
Hi All,

I have download the windows 10 64 bit midi driver and it works well

Brian007