Author Topic: Latest arranger keyboard always the best ?  (Read 13767 times)

beykock

Latest arranger keyboard always the best ?
« on: March 03, 2019, 06:26:45 AM »
Hi,

I wonder why one wants to own the latest/newest arranger keyboard.

Questionnaire
01.Not happy with her/his present instrument ?
02.Does one believe the newest keyboard is
      much better than its predecessor ?
03.Does one want to have the latest technology ?
04.Does one think/hope he/she will become a better player ?
05.Another reason why to upgrade ?

Babette
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:45:42 AM by beykock »

Offline Toril S

Re: Latest arranger keyboard always the best ?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 08:22:57 AM »
I think it is yes on all four😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 08:46:23 AM »
After a long break I decided to buy keyboard again. I had an idea of what is "good enough for me" and so, my friend Youtube convinced me to get PSR-S670. The fact, that S670 is bottom of the line Yamaha arranger, didn't bother me at all -I'm not a snob and price was just perfect. Yes, I was very happy with S670 capabilities and quality. Still, just after few months I decided to buy S775... because display on S670 is just darn too small. And also having such low resolution, it's almost unusable for working (arranging) with it. Yeah, nobody mentioned that important fact on web.
Almost double priced S775 however, has great display.. But all buttons are made of rubber (imagine $130 Casio) -because of that, buttons "wobble" freely when pressed. And because there's no "click", it can (and does) happen, keyboard recognizes single push as pushed twice. Rubber is also harder to clean, though. S670 is premium keyboard in this regard.

Ok, why newest (better) keyboard?
Because there might be things we just can't live with (see above) or, when we exploited capabilities of keyboard we currently have. In both cases, when looking after successor, we pay most attention to avoid "flaws" our current keyboard has. Again, usually we get the best we can afford.

Yes, Genos has "real" buttons, however it has another flaw: too expensive for me :)
On the other hand, when Genos II arises, some current Genos owners will say "At last -that's the keyboard I was after since my birth"  ;D
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »
I also really hate rhose rubber buttons!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

beykock

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »
It looks new upgrades like e.g. S775 and S975 are not always such a commercial success.

It seems the present features of both
new arranger keyboards do not convince S770 and S970 players enough to upgrade.

As far as I know present S770 and S970 owners prefer to wait for the new S775 and S975 successor.
They are expecting more Genos features ( e.g. a better sound etc. ), I have been told.

Apparently the Genos is a commercial success for Yamaha.
Most Genos customers are ex Tyros players.

The present Genos owners seem to be very happy with their upgrade due to a better sound, a touch screen,  the larger internal memory, the colour and the weight of the Genos.
Even the new Genos price has convinced many players to upgrade, I guess.

Like before, I believe the Genos2 will first of all be bought by present Genos owners and probably also by Tyros owners.
I also expect Korg PA4X owners might come to the Yamaha fold.

As usual, I will not be surprised future Genos2 owners will tell the world the Genos2 is so much better than the Genos.
A very natural reaction, I guess.😉

Bye for now,
Babette

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 01:38:02 PM »
I wonder why one wants to own the latest/newest arranger keyboard.......

Questionnaire replied with my very personal point of view. :)

I've always been very happy with my keyboards, but there often was some new things it would be 'nice to have'.

02.Does one believe the newest keyboard is much better than its predecessor ?
        Yes, in many ways, and I believe there is new sounds, new styles and updated technology.

YESS! So fun and interesting to explore the progress and what it has to give in addition to what's already there.

Not at all, but when time goes by, I get more experience and added hours of learning and practise that make me better. Hopefully.

Exitement, and the hunger to try new stuff.
        (Even if my bankaccount advice me that there maybe is better things to spend the money at that have less economic loss.)  ;) :D ;D 8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
Many people - I would even say most people - buying a new arranger are not upgrading from the predecessor. They may be upgrading from a much lower grade or older keyboard, changing brands, entering the arranger market for the first time, re-entering the market after a gap, or even replacing a worn or damaged instrument. We dont have much information on the proportion of single model upgrades to overall sales, but my suspicion is that it’s not huge on average. There are a couple of releases which may have generated more of a stir than most, but even then I doubt single step upgrades from the predecessor are a big proportion of the total.
There is always a lot of discussion on forums whether the latest model is sufficiently improved to be worth upgrading and that gives the very misleading impression that single model upgrades from the predecessor are the main driver for sales. The facts are that even on a forum of enthusiasts like this, only a tiny proportion of people buy every new model when it is released.
Mike

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 02:46:07 PM »
The REAL answer is you CAN'T PURCHASE an old model once the new one comes out.  ;)

If you are just trading in your old one (PSR, Tyros) for the newest model, then you just have extra cash on hand. It's like cars, some folks can afford to change  while other (as I) keep the one we got until the wheels fall off it (a couple of times).  ;D

BTW always pay cash and purchase the car based on Mileage and not the Year. 8)

Buying a used Yamaha keyboard is like playing the lottery (don't do it).

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 03:01:38 PM »
I just bought a used T5. So far, so good. I had my PSR 2100 in 14 (!) years before upgrading to an S970, that broke down after 10 months. The main reason for moving up was the floppy disk system and the bad screen on the 2100. As for sounds I will tell you a secret, I still prefer the sound of my 2100 to my newer models! The newer models of course have more realistic sounds, but the 2100 has the stable sounds that go good with my ears.
Many of the features on the PSR S975 and T5 i will never use. But the USB and color screens won me over :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

beykock

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 05:20:53 PM »
Like to thank you all for your feedback.👍
Very interesting and different inputs. 😀

Babette
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:22:08 PM by beykock »

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 06:35:58 PM »
I also think Babette that when a new model comes in town it is not targeting to sell to those who have the previous one.
It is just that technology over the years make huge steps and everyone who is selling technology products got to follow.
The s775 & s975 released for those who would buy the s770-970 instead.
They just added some new features,changed some things and sell them at the same price.

Newer keyboards have always advantage of the older ones.
Someone may not find a big difference in sounds or styles between an older and a newer model and  there are new features he is not using or care about but for others these things are crucial like connectivity to PC programs,apps,creating and adding new voices and packs etc.

For example,buy for me or a tyros 4 user all the expansions packs from all style/voice creators.
Thanks for the present but sorry I cannot use them :(

The other day I asked my keyboard to play some arpeggios and the answer was:
-What is that?  :o
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:46:44 PM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 06:49:28 PM »
Hi, the opposite is also possible, I guess ;-)) . I 'downgraded' my keyboard. After 10 years keyboardless and for my own pleasure  I started keyboarding again. I liked the Tyros5 . Bought it,  played it, sold it and swapped to the Genos. Played it for some months, sold it too. Why? They were not the best keyboards FOR MY NEEDS. The price was not a reason at first. For my personal use the Tyros5 was much closer to my needs than the Genos was. WIth the Genos I realised that I didn't use more as 20 %!  of its technique/possibilties. So finally decided to buy a used S770, instead of returning to a T5. And I'm satisfied with this step and the S770.  I discovered that the s770 is a keyboard which has also lot of competence and possibilities. But I accept that as the Genos was 10 times more expensive. So I guess it is sooo personal …. and let it be ;-)
Regards Ton
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:54:57 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 01:09:57 AM »
I upgraded from an S910 to the S970 for the arpeggiator, Live Control and expansion capability.  So for me it was new features.  But the next upgrade will be primarily for MORE expansion memory (I've run out of space for all my packs)

;)   :'(

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:50:54 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »
FOR MY NEEDS.

Amen! There's "want" and there's "need."

The best keyboard is the one that helps you to meet your goals as a musician -- very personal.

Take care -- pj

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 04:15:38 PM »
I have always updated my keyboards to the latest models right from my very first PSR6700. They have always had many more additions and improvements on them and I have never regretted doing this.
  Money wise you always get a very good price against the new one so don't have to find to much to change over. If you keep a keyboard for to long you lose a lot of money and it is harder to change to the new one. When Genos first came out over here all the shops were packed with second hand Tyros 5 keyboards and some shops had to turn away Part exchange deals. In fact most of the people I knew with Tyros 5 swapped to Genos very quickly and are very pleased they changed.
  We all know that having a new keyboard will not make you a better player but it dose encourage you to play it more as you explore all the new features.

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 05:56:17 PM »
And good luck to you if that is what you enjoy. Life is good when you can afford to do the things that matter to you. Especially in your later years.
Mike

beykock

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 08:05:45 PM »
 I agree with pj. 👍

Some people are always looking for the newest / latest arranger keyboard model.
I fully respect their choice.

But ... I wonder how an arranger keyboard will look like in 5 -10 years from now.

Will it look like a laptop / a tablet / a smart phone ?
Will an arranger keyboard still be called a " music instrument " ?

Time will tell if the future keyboard player will be called a musician or a dj.🐸

Babette

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:21:18 PM by beykock »

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 08:31:44 PM »
You still need to have the keyboard, so it won’t look very different. The stuff from 10 years ago is hardly different at all.  The latest have some more features, bit better sound, - but overall not that much different. 10 years is not long. The PSR 3000 is way more than 10 years old and many people still play and even gig with them.

Offline hammer

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 09:57:23 PM »
I started out with the PSR3000, then I got the Tyros 3, then I went to the Tyros 4.
I also bought the Tyros 5 and the Genos but sold both after about a month with each.  Today I own the PSR S975 which in my opinion is not near the keyboard my PSR S950 was.  I also often wish I had just kept my Tyros 4 because I believe it truly was the best of the lot. 

To put this in perspective. I also have owned and gigged with The Roland E50, E80, The Korg Micro-Arranger, Korg PA1000, and Korg PA4X.  Today my go-to arranger is from Ketron - the SD40 module - I previously used the Ketron SD7. 

I still think the Tyros 4 was at the top of the list.  Perhaps this is only the opinion of one person but I believe Yamaha has added many features to the Genos that most players don't use or want that it has driven up the price beyond what is reasonable.  It will be interesting to see what the next Yamaha arranger will offer.

Deane

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 10:05:01 PM »
....It will be interesting to see what the next Yamaha arranger will offer.

+1 , and also what others there will show up in the TOTL arrangers series.
It's been a exciting ride since jumped on the arranger journey middle of the 80's..  8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Joe H

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Patrick

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 12:10:43 AM »
   Hi all, my S970 is at the repair shop since yesterday; it stop suddenly during playing and it start again and stop on the Yamaha logo! Nothing to do! It's my fist problem with a keyboard from Yamaha and it seems that the new keyboards are not as strong as before! More feature but no more quality made! just plastic; my PSQR S2100 was much better! The buttons on the S970 is like a ordinary toy coming from China! I'll perhaps not buy a new PSR Yamaha but an old Tyros 4 or 5; Well luky i'm buck on my guitars, all the best Patrick

beykock

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 06:16:34 AM »
In the near future we may expect an S775, S975 and a Genos
successor, I guess.

Perhaps in 2020/2021 ?
Only Yamaha can answer that question but there is no doubt successors will follow, as usual.

Again new features and gadgets, updated and new voices and styles etc. will be installed or added, as usual.

Once again we will hear the new arranger keyboards will be so much better than ever before.

Most music instruments are/were made for a lifetime.

It looks like synths and arranger keyboards are made for a few years only.
Their age and lifetime depend completely and entirely on the computer technology, IMHO.

Maybe synths and arranger keyboards should no longer be called " music instruments " but " digital machines to make music ".

The show must go on and will never end.
There is no business like show business.😸

Babette
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:26:01 AM by beykock »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 08:37:56 AM »
My deepest sympathy, Patrick. I also had an S970 that broke down.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
Keyboards will always remain Keyboards. They may change colour from time to time and the facia's may look different. People will always want different things from there keyboards so there will always be plenty to choose from. Some functions will be used a lot and some will not but the variety is  there and the sky's the limit. One thing you must be prepared to do when getting a new keyboard is spend time exploring it and getting used to the new sounds it will produce. With Genos it has a lot of good features on it that allow you to make it your own. The assignable buttons make it so easy to find things instead of searching for them through pages. This makes it faster to operate. If you were used to using Music Finder many were always saying I wish you could save other setting and link other things. Well now with playlist you can do just that. Technology is always moving forward in all things from Phones and kitchen appliances TV's Cars so why not keyboards.

The following users thanked this post: Jan-Eve

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
I'm still with the Tyros 2 + NP30 as Twinset. I play it everyday, I learnt to know it inside out and with tweaks it still sounds vibrant. I have the money to change if required...but why if my present setup is giving me daily enjoyment ?.
DGX670

Offline Toril S

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
Indeed, Eileen!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline mikf

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 03:55:57 PM »
I would go a step further and say that it’s not even necessary to know the keyboard inside out, just know how to do what you need to do for your specific needs. Likely there are going to be many things you never need to know.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 04:48:51 PM »
Yes the choice is yours to use what suits you best but it is nice to know that if you suddenly want to explore and do some different things they are there for you to learn how to.

beykock

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 05:09:07 PM »
Graham is right, Mike is right and Eileen is right.

Why should one kill a winning horse, why should one need features he/she will never use and it is absolutely a must one has to take all the time to explore a new arranger keyboard to find out which ( new ) features are better, more useful and needed.

Many musicians are " in love " with their instrument, know all the ins and outs very well and do not like/want to loose
 " their baby ".

Other musicians prefer to follow the latest trends and buy the newest model. Why not if these musicians are happy.

IMHO it is wise to respect everybody's personal opinion, choice and decision.

To say the newest arranger keyboard is always " better " might be a bridge too far, I guess.

I am " in love " with my Tyros5/76 and up to now nobody can convince me to let it go.

I hope and pray I can keep my keyboard as long as possible.  This arranger offers me everything I need.🌹

Best regards, Babette

WolfBack

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2019, 06:52:25 PM »
Nice thought.
I'm really in love with my S770, fills my needs as amateur user and I'm really happy with this.
But what do I need from a keyboard/arranger in 2019?
Easy to use and voices!!! More voices more fun!!!
the only reason I would upgrade my keyboard is to have more expansion memory for my voices.
My whole voices library of 34GBs can fit on my smartphones memory card but not on my keyboard and this is so sad...
If I want to play my whole library on my keyboard I need to install... how many expansion packs? (217,9487179487179)  :o
We live in the era of GB's and TB's and my nephew ask me today: "What is Megabyte?"
BTW, as I say before, I love my S770 and I don't need to look forward for a new fancy keyboard/arranger.
Just one thing I wish for my keyboard: The ability to use arpeggios on my styles.  ;)

Offline Gloria

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2019, 07:22:38 PM »
 I had my S910 for many happy yrs. & it still worked perfectly, but when I heard the sound quality of the new Genos, I thought I would upgrade.  I do love its sound, but it's operating system is so completely different & I don't have a local dealer to help me, I really wish I hadn't purchased it!   :(

Gloria
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

Offline ton37

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »
Interesting to read so many (various) views and that was predictable.  I wish to add a short explanation of what I wrote in earlier post. The meaning of the phrase: 'BEST.. FOR MY NEEDS' includes so much: e.g. ... I just want the newest technique; ... it is my hobby; ... I need it for my gigs; .. I just simply want it; .. it is financial better to trade in on moment x; .. I'm crazy about new things; .. I'm convinced that it sounds better, etc. etc.
And I'm thankfull to those who buy those latest/newest keyboards, for any reason whatsoever and without any value judgement , as they contributes to the survival of the keyboardindustry (and their development).
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Patrick

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2019, 07:58:25 PM »
Hi Toril thanks a lot! I've seen the PSR S975 at the shop; i'm just waiting for the diagnostic for the S970 (if it's the mother board, it's dead!); The Genos will arrive soon in our country so i'll try it soon; all the best Patrick
 ;)

Offline mikf

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 09:28:09 PM »
I think the latest keyboard model probably is always the overall best, but it may not be the best for you - the individual - who maybe doesn’t need the added features, or thinks the sound improvement is negligible, or is not enough to justify the learning curve of a new keyboard.
Mike

beykock

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 09:41:19 PM »
Hi Gloria,

Feel very sorry to hear you have problems with the use of your new Genos.
You need and deserve help and support to enjoy your Genos.

Maybe it might be useful to make a Genos step by step questionnaire and send it to this forum.

Remember B. Shaw's words :  " There are no stupid questions ! ".

I am sure many of our Genos members are ready to help you out.

Good luck ! Babette

Offline Gloria

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:22 PM »
Babette, thank you for your kind reply.  :)  I have learned a lot about the Genos on this fabulous PSR TUTORIAL forum, along with the Owners Manual. I am finally starting to play & participate with it more than I have been.

Regards, Gloria
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

beykock

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 10:10:37 PM »
That is good news, Gloria !👍

Thank you, Babette

Offline Denn

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2019, 06:30:37 AM »
Hello,I have posted on most forums MY opinion. There is absolutely nothing that I like about the Genos.So:-

My Tyros 4

I’m so glad that you have answered all my posts

The Genos and the Korg are now just ghosts,

I’ve heard the songs and sounds that you all play

So now, my Tyros 4 just has to stay.

You say the sounds and tones are oh so good

And at the price you pay they really should

But touching screens and toggle sticks are not my way

So now, my Tyros 4 is here to stay.

I have played my alto sax a lot and it is sweet and low

I have tweaked my real strings again and they are oh so slow

They say that “want,” like love, can make you blind

So the Genos and the Korg are not my kind

I’ve seen the pics and heard the sounds that’s all I’ll say

So now, my Tyros 4 just has to stay.

https://app.box.com/s/qjawqqpcyahg178l8bwxvjwnq61lksyq

Regards, Denn

Love knitting dolls

Offline Toril S

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
Great poetic tribute to the Tyros Denn. I agree fully!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2019, 03:46:51 PM »
Hello Gloria,
  Pleased to hear you are getting along and feeling more comfortable with your Genos. The operating system is really the same as most Yamaha keyboards but like with any new keyboard you buy you must spend time with it. You will find as you explore it all the new assignable buttons really do help to find things much quicker than before and it then becomes a doddle to use. Just going through the styles and listening to how much better they sound spurs you on to playing it.
  The main thing is have fun with it. 

1-man-band-berlin

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 11:14:40 PM »
I made the experience, that the new keyboard was always improved.
Ok, I missed some features, for example, in PSR 8000 you could remap drums in styles the way, as Roland Make Up Tools, this feature was dropped in PSR 9000 and later keyboards.
Tyros 4 had a function to remap drums and store the resulting custom kit, Tyros 5 not, PSR S970 and Genos again.
Also sample RAM, Tyros 1 hasn't it, Tyros 2 had it again.
About Genos, beside the Audio Style feature, it seems to have nearly all features from Tyros series.

1-man-band-berlin

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2019, 11:17:39 PM »
I changed from Tyros 2 to PSR S 970, because, this was improvement enough to me, the higher Tyros 5 price wasn't justified, a used Tyros 4 too expensive, a used Tyros 3 has the problem, the more additional sounds, the more boot time and it's horrible, when the instrument loses electricity and I have to tell the people "Sorry, my keyboard needs 15 minutes to start"

Bachus

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2019, 06:49:02 AM »
Hi,

Questionnaire
02.Does one believe the newest keyboard is
      much better than its predecessor ?

Babette

for me its 02 (if you remove the word @much@)
definately 03
and 05 just loves to have new toys to play with..

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
When I upgrade Arrangers, I am reminded how much reprogramming and programming I have to do to get the new keyboard the way I like it.

:)
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline markstyles

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2019, 10:29:17 PM »
I have been pretty pleased with the advances with T3-T4-T5-Genos..  Each one has been a step forward for my purposes.. 

I could certainly see other players, sticking with or buying a used T5.. or another arranger in the Yamaha line.  It of course depends on your needs and budget. 

Yes, there is a certain satisfaction in the 'latest and the greatest'..    I have bought Apple computers since the 80's.. However I can't justify the very high price for their 'top of the line' computer.  Don't think I will need Thunderbolt 3 in the next generation of Mac Pro..  At this point, my dissatisfaction, might lead me to a 'Hackingtosh"  (PC running Mac OS).   To each of us, it's our budgets, what we do with the music, etc.  There is no simple answer

Offline alanclare

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 07:20:21 AM »
If I were entering the market for the first time and someone had directed me to these replies for a reasoned cross-section of informed opinion, I should be asking local dealers if they had any Tyros 4s for sale.

Alan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 11:18:33 PM »
Tyros 5 much better for anyone wanting to use Sampled voice packs as the YEM is a much better idea for these.