Author Topic: Post fill crash cymbal  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Luluc

Post fill crash cymbal
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:38:20 PM »
Hello all Genos-philes !

After playing a drum fill, it is often customary to strike the crash cymbal as a kind of musical punctuation.

On the Genos, how does that work ?

As a Genos newbie, I am not aware of the whole knowledge of the styles subtilities, but I don't get a crash cymbal after a fill when I change of variation from A to B for example, with the function Auto Fill enabled.
But I get a crash cymbal hit after a fill when I go to an Ending, for example variation C , fill C to ending.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline DrakeM

Re: Post fill crash cymbal
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »
This is a perfect example of LEARNING to customize your song styles.

All you have to do is copy and paste a FILL IN with the crash cymbal into the FILL IN slot that you want it to occur in. Then SAVE the customize style onto your USB stick with a NAME.

You will find that Yamaha styles are there for you to do just this sort of thing. MOST all the Yamaha styles are not built to play a full song all the way through as some part of the style is missing for the song or over embellished so you can do what I just explained. That is a good thing as they are giving you thousands of PARTS to work with creating your own styles.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:33:51 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Luluc

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 07:59:04 PM »
OK Drake : Will have a look to experiment the changes of a style. Much work in perspective...
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:41:59 PM »
Hi Luluc,

If you want to modify a style to add a 'crash', or increase the volume of an existing one, then it would be easier to just use the keyboard's Style Creator to add the note to the Rhy2 channel, rather than use the 'Assembly' function to copy a different fill. This method retains the original drum pattern for the fill.

The Rhythm channels record in 'overdub' mode, so you just need to find the correct note to play for the crash cymbal, start recording the channel, and play the note at the appropriate time.  This will add the crash to the existing pattern on that channel.

You could also add the crash, or increase the volume of an existing one via the 'Step Edit' display, after setting the Rhy2 channel to record.

However you would need to do this for every Fill, in every style, that you want to have the crash!  This could be a lot of work!

A possible less onerous alternative could be use a foot switch/pedal (such as Yamaha FC5) to play the crash on demand!

To do this you would simply assign the 'Percussion' function to one of the pedal inputs.

When you select this function you will be able to select the drum kit used, and the sound to play.  Once set, each time that you press the pedal, your selected sound will play, in your case one of the crash cymbals. You can then crash away whenever you like!

On Genos (unlike tyros and PSRs), the foot pedal settings are stored as system settings, so once set they will remain in place through power off/on cycles.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:46:49 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 10:21:46 PM »
Tyrosaurus, I don't think the assembly function will retain anything from the existed pattern.
It will replace it.
He just have to choose fiil in A and not Main A for example to replace the RHY2 fill in.

As far as I see, many players don't always use all 4 mains to play a song.
So taking a pattern from another part it may not be such a problem for the variety of the song.

All structure of Yamaha styles Luluc, is from less organs playing to more organ playing gradually from main A to main D.

Cymbals in fill ins are at 001:4:1900 time of the pattern of RHY2 at the step edit menu of the style creator so we can hear them when the same Main or the next Main comes in.
So you can add there a cymbal sound as Tyrosaurus allready said.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:24:04 PM by panos »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »
Ian

The fill in with the crash cymbal in it, is most likely in the style in either the MAIN C or D slot fill in. So to copy and paste that into where it is needed will take 30 seconds to do. ;)

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 11:06:57 PM »
Hi Drake,

Even if it took no longer to use Assembly to copy the drum fill, it would still replace the whole pattern in the fill, rather than just adding a crash to the end of the existing pattern. It depends how appropriate the copied pattern is for the fill being modified.  They do tend to be most appropriate for the main variation that they are associated with, so the drum channel pattern from say, Fill In D may not be appropriate for Fill In A.

@ Panos,  of course using Assembly to copy a different fill will completely replace the existing pattern in that channel.  This is what I meant in my previous post.  As I said to Drake above, the copied fill drum channel pattern may, or may not be appropriate for the fill associated with a specific main variation.

However what I was really wanting to do in my reply was to point out that there are more ways than one of adding a specific percussion sound when playing, and if Luluc finds that he needs to modify many styles to incorporate a crash, he might be better off using a pedal to play the crash manually.

Of course at the end of the day, it's up to Luluc as to the best way to achieve his aims.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:10:55 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 11:12:20 PM »
Sorry Ian, I misunderstood my friend :)