Author Topic: using external monitor help  (Read 5070 times)

Offline franksboard

using external monitor help
« on: March 02, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
I occasionaly use my external monitor for using my mp3 cdg karaoke and updated firmware to 1.3 and still crashes.so i have to disconnect it.the problem is when i have family over and want to sing i usually play along with the song and makes it hard for them to read my screen when i am playing.i thought of using a mini camera and mount above keyboard to send to monitor,but can't find one that you can use that close of range less than a foot away from my screen on keyboard
my keyboard is built in a old organ cabinet and want to mount inside of cabinet and need to be tiny and be able to use that close up.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: using external monitor help
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 04:18:24 PM »
I occasionaly use my external monitor for using my mp3 cdg karaoke and updated firmware to 1.3 and still crashes.so i have to disconnect it.the problem is when i have family over and want to sing i usually play along with the song and makes it hard for them to read my screen when i am playing.i thought of using a mini camera and mount above keyboard to send to monitor,but can't find one that you can use that close of range less than a foot away from my screen on keyboard
my keyboard is built in a old organ cabinet and want to mount inside of cabinet and need to be tiny and be able to use that close up.

I use an external monitor all the time, and have never had a problem with it.

What do you mean by "crashes"? What kind of connection do you have?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline franksboard

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:03:57 PM »
The problem i am having is when mp3cdg starts to play the genos locks up with error on screen and have to turn keyboard off,or sometimes the song will play most of the way and gets error and have to restart keyboard.i am using firmware 1.3 latest and usb to vga agaptor the one that is recommended for this keyboard.the adaptor works fine on every thing else midi files with lyrics and genos other screens except on the mp3 with lyrics.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 05:59:45 PM »
The problem i am having is when mp3cdg starts to play the genos locks up with error on screen and have to turn keyboard off,or sometimes the song will play most of the way and gets error and have to restart keyboard.i am using firmware 1.3 latest and usb to vga agaptor the one that is recommended for this keyboard.the adaptor works fine on every thing else midi files with lyrics and genos other screens except on the mp3 with lyrics.

Where are you running the MP3 from?  If a USB, try running it from the User drive, and see if that helps. Many USBs aren’t fast enough to handle MP3s.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 10:53:36 PM »
Yamaha Genos firmware 1.30 still has a bug that when external monitor is connected, the playing of any CDG MP3 files hangs the Genos.  We have to press the power button of Genos to reboot it out of the hanging.

If we want to play CDG MP3 files, you have to disconnect the USB 2.0 display adapter from Genos first before turning on Genos.  Playing CDG MP3 using the Genos built-in touch screen is fine.

Logitech Brio 4K webcam can handle close distance of the Genos screen up to a few inches away, but it requires the use of a computer (laptop or desktop).  I used it in some experiments before on Genos and it worked.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline lut112

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 03:44:09 PM »
For me, after upgrading to version 1.3, playing mp3 + g / mp3 + cdg files on an external monitor runs flawlessly and does not have any jams. The playback errors were in version 1.2

Offline John T4

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 07:27:58 PM »
Well I've tried two different types of adaptor and I am on version 1.3 and it will not play MP3 CDG files it locks up as previously mentioned and the only way out of it is to press the power button
 I understand this wasn't a problem on 1.2 but unfortunately I didn't try at that code level
P. S. Fred I do run these directly from the user drive
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:29:35 PM by John T4 »

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 10:53:20 PM »
My experience is the same as John T4's.

I tested the playing of CDG MP3 files on Genos firmware 1.20 and 1.30 with external display connected to Genos, with the same result - Genos locked up and had to be rebooted by pressing the Power button.

I do not know how lut112 was able to play CDG MP3 files with external display connected to Genos without hanging Genos.  Maybe he has a very specially made Genos.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:54:59 PM by zionip »

Offline lut112

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »
After upgrading to version 1.3, Genos never got stuck. I play files in different order / wav, mp3, mid, mp3 + g / in song dual mode and song list. Everything works fine. My monitor is LG Flatron 2252TQ-PF and i-tec USB Display VGA Adapter

Offline zionip

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »
After upgrading to version 1.3, Genos never got stuck. I play files in different order / wav, mp3, mid, mp3 + g / in song dual mode and song list. Everything works fine. My monitor is LG Flatron 2252TQ-PF and i-tec USB Display VGA Adapter

Then I do not know how to explain why John T4 and I are still seeing our Genos at firmware 1.30 got hung when playing CDG MP3 files with external monitor attached.  The files played, from a few seconds to almost 1 minute, then Genos got hung, and we had to press the Power button for a few seconds to reboot Genos.

Are you sure that you played CDG MP3 files, which involves a pair of CDG file and the MP3 files with the same song name but with CDG and MP3 file extensions in the same folder?  I have not found any CDG MP3 files that do not crash Genos yet.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline lut112

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
I am writing about mp3 + g files. I am playing these files from the directory, where the same name of the mp3 file and cdg file is. I am playing with the pedrive and I assure you that there are no jams as was the case in version 1.2.
I wonder how your colleagues are a problem.
Regards - Anatol

Offline zionip

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 05:58:39 PM »
I am writing about mp3 + g files. I am playing these files from the directory, where the same name of the mp3 file and cdg file is. I am playing with the pedrive and I assure you that there are no jams as was the case in version 1.2.
I wonder how your colleagues are a problem.
Regards - Anatol

I downloaded the CDG MP3 files from here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1F0tqQ1BKBBFDqPfH7bCcOdIl0JJt87Cz

These files played without issues on Genos built-in display screen, but Genos gets hung whenever playing these files with external monitor attached, at firmware 1.30.

This is the thread in which RichardL kindly shares his CDG MP3 collection:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43726.msg345411.html#msg345411

Thanks,
Paul

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 06:05:33 PM »
I think the problem may be with the brand of interface between the keyboard and monitor. I use the same brand as Paul so I will test playing MP3+CDG files and report back.

Regards, Rich

Offline zionip

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »
I think the problem may be with the brand of interface between the keyboard and monitor. I use the same brand as Paul so I will test playing MP3+CDG files and report back.

Regards, Rich

Rich,

I don't think it is the brand of USB 2.0 display adapter.  Genos only supports USB 2.0 display adapters based on DisplayLink DL-165 and DL-195 chipsets.  I tried both, the result is the same - Genos with external display got hung when playing CDG MP3 files.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline franksboard

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »
some times some songs play all the way thru and when i try same ones again some may lock up.i wish Yamaha could get this issue fixed,as some players may need that external monitor if someone wants to do karaoke and not having a singer have to read off your screen. the only solution i know for now is to use a video camera aimed at my screen so you can see it on a external monitor.are there any other solutions ???? i even tried putting them on the built in storage on Genos as i thought it was the flash drive causing the issue.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:23:52 PM by franksboard »