Author Topic: 2nd USB Port?  (Read 8568 times)

a1gene

2nd USB Port?
« on: February 27, 2019, 04:39:51 AM »
I see that Genos playlists on a USB drive won't work if a second drive is installed, so what's the purpose of that second USB port?

Offline Bill

Re: 2nd USB Port?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 11:14:15 AM »
Hi A1Gene

The playlist will work in any of the three USB Ports.  However the Registrations etc that the Playlist calls up MUST remain where they were when the playlist was set up.  ie.  If the Registrations etc were on the second USB Stick they will not work if you have switched the KB on with only that stick inserted. 

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

a1gene

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 04:08:21 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Bill. I see in the ReadMe.txt that comes with the downloadable bonus playlist, "Make sure no other USB storage device is connected to Genos." I had a blank Genos formatted drive in the port underneath, and it caused the playlist to be nonfunctional on the Genos formatted drive inserted in the front panel port, even though it was inserted before the keyboard was powered up. It worked fine after I removed the lower drive. Does this seem right? Could I save the data from the upper drive to the lower drive and have it work properly? The lower drive is a pain to have to remove regularly. Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:09:32 PM »
Hi im in a meltdown trying to get bonus playlist to work, ive downloaded it to my computer. ive copied and pasted to the stick under the keyboard. the files show up but when i try to load i get a notice file not found. i have no other stick inserted , i havnt altered the files in any way. help.

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 07:00:21 PM »
Hi im in a meltdown trying to get bonus playlist to work, ive downloaded it to my computer. ive copied and pasted to the stick under the keyboard. the files show up but when i try to load i get a notice file not found. i have no other stick inserted , i havnt altered the files in any way. help.

Make sure that you also put the folders with the registrations where they should be. Make sure that you have not put the folders within another folder.

The file path needs to be the same as the original.

Bill
England

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:29:01 PM »
Hi ,I didn't alter any folders ,I just copied and pasted the heading,bonus playlist.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 08:11:49 PM »

George,

I have the playlist working on my Genos, so it can be done.

First, the downloaded file is a zip file, so you need to unzip it. Have you done that?

Second, the folder PlaylistForGenos must be the top folder on your USB drive. On my Windows computer, when I let it copy the zip file to the USB drive, it set up the folder structure properly. So maybe that's all you need to do. Erase the USB drive, then start over.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 08:44:41 PM »
Thanks ,I'll go back to scratch and give it another go.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 11:50:46 PM »
I loaded the playlist file to my 64Gb USB along with lots of other folders and files I wanted to keep in my Genos and then placed it underneath the keyboard and secured it. On switch on this USB now reads as USB.1 which is what the playlist wants. Just make sure that on switch on you don't have any other sticks plugged in. Once the keyboard is on if you plug in another USB it will read USB 2. This is fine. If you want to use playlist then all you do is tab to USB 1 and it will work fine for you. Remember to remove extra sticks before switch off.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 12:24:31 AM »
Hi Eileen, I did that and I have no other sticks, it recognises the folders then the named regs but when I press load it show cannot find file, I’m wondering if I haven’t unzipped it properly, i think I will delete the folder and try again from scratch.

Offline Bill

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »
Hi Eileen, I did that and I have no other sticks, it recognises the folders then the named regs but when I press load it show cannot find file, I’m wondering if I haven’t unzipped it properly, i think I will delete the folder and try again from scratch.

Hi George

There is something not quite right in what you say, or at least I'm not fully understanding what you are saying.

If you are staying in the playlist feature how do you know it it recognising the Reg?

You must have unzipped it otherwise you would not see anything on the KB.

We need to be a bit more detailed in the explanations.

First a question.  Does the playlist work with the EXAMPLE One in the Preset folder.
If that works go back to the Bonus Ones and select one. Does the line with the name go GREEN.  It must go green to make a selection, the name being just highlighted is not enough.
Once it goes green, do the Reg lights change. Make sure you then push Reg Button 1 if it does not start automatically.

Now EXIT the playlist and push the name of the registration at the top left.
It should show the name of the registration that matches the Playlist Name.
Also check the file path which will be showing in the bottom left hand side.

Bill

England

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »
Hi all ,success I deleted the playlist and carefully reloaded it with instant success. I obviously did something wrong along the way. Thanks to everyone for the input,now for the fun part, trying them out. Once again thanks.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 12:10:06 PM »
Don't forget when you select a playlist folder to press Playlist again to access the songs in that folder.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »
Don't forget when you select a playlist folder to press Playlist again to access the songs in that folder.

Or, press the exit button, or tap on the X.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 08:06:20 PM »
Hi all . I’ve just spent an hour and a half trying out regs on playlist, I’m quite impressed, I feel I’ve been missing out. There are some good regs and some not to my taste, on the whole I’m happy.

a1gene

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 09:39:36 PM »
Just make sure that on switch on you don't have any other sticks plugged in.

Doesn't this necessity of having only the one USB drive plugged in render the USB port under the keyboard almost useless?

Roland

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 09:57:38 PM »
Not really - because it all depends on how you want to make use of your keyboard. Some folks who gig like the port underneath to make sure the USB stick doesn't "grow legs". Others just playing at home use it as their first and only USB port - and then use the other ports to copy stuff around.

What matters is which port you use the FIRST TIME you plug-in a USB stick. Because as said before, the port sequence starts there. And using more than 1 USB stick can be done if you know exactly what you do. But if you're unsure how your files are interlinked, then using multiple USB ports at the same time can throw you a wrench for sure.

Cheers, Roland

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 10:35:18 PM »
In example, if there is any USB stick permanently i the 'bottom' usb slot, that will always be USB1 as long as you dont have any other connected.
If connect USB at the top while USB bottom is connected before power on, the one on top will be USB1. That is very good if have permanent USB at bottom, because if run a software update, you don't have to take out the bottom USB first.

Personally, I have a USB permanently inserted at bottom, but never have any other connect before power on. That way it always work as intended.
Copy and paste from one stick to another works great, and the Musicsoft Downloader also works between PC and Genos.
(But that software Yamaha could easily update a bit and make it more up to date.)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

The following users thanked this post: Peppexpo