Author Topic: Genos Tutorial Books & other models  (Read 6388 times)

Offline karl28

Genos Tutorial Books & other models
« on: February 25, 2019, 10:18:49 PM »
Hi,
I recently went to a organ/keyboard concert & bought two books that were on display - only one word can describe them... AMAZING!
These Yamaha Genos tutorial books have shown me so much that I hadn't even glimpsed in my year of owning a Genos & now I have a completely new instrument at my fingertips.
These are available for other models too🙌
They're well worth investing in.
All details can be found on the company website:

https://www.thekeyboardplace.com/

Regards,

Karl

The following users thanked this post: terryB, StuartR

Re: Genos Tutorial Books & other models
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
Bit expensive though  :(

Murat

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
I also wanted to say 'very expensive' but glad to see I am not the only one. I appreciate that they need to earn their living and it cannot be free but it is too expensive. We don't even know what the books contain in detail.

Would be nice if Yamaha prepared tutorials - in paper form, PDF and online videos.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »
Agreed!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 12:51:27 PM »
That's a good find, Karl. Agreed about the price though. By the time one book would reach my door in Canada, with shipping, duty, and all the greedy tax hands taking their "unfair" share, I wager one book would cost me about $130. It would be worth it if I could learn way more than the enclosed manuals give me.

On the other hand, there is absolutely no reason Yamaha couldn't have included such detailed instructions with the Genos. The manuals are pretty good but don't really go deep enough. Even the Reference Manual just scratches the surface. There is a finite number of things we can do with our keyboards. Whatever that number is, describe them all in a manual. We spend so much time learning how to operate our keyboards that creativity gets lost in the shuffle. Are we trying to be better musicians or computer operators?

Thanks for the post, Karl! The books look very well written. Please tell us more after you've had time to go through your first book.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: karl28

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »
From what I saw on the demo video of audioworks the other day,Genos  functions are similar to the psr s and tyros series.I would say about 95% are exactly the same.
The big difference is the interface/display of those function's on Genos which make them easier to handle on a Genos screen.

Those books look good though with the pictures and photos.
Maybe for those who are not good at all in handling and understanding computer kind of stuff.

Offline GlenC

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »
My initial thoughts were yes finally a decent tutorial on the fabulous Genos as opposed to a reference manual supplied with the keyboard, similar to what we had on the Technics KN series, then I saw the price - nearly £50 for 120 pages of large diagrams.

I can't help thinking if they lowered the price to a more realistic level they would sell a lot more copies.

Unless a lot more people say this is well worth the expense, I will give it a miss.

Glen
Genos 2, Cubase 13 Pro, Helix Floor, Ex KN7000 owner

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
Do they offer the books online? I didn't notice. If they did, they could reduce the price and sell a heck of a lot more. In this day and age, it is archaic thinking to only offer something like this in hard copy. The cost to print all those pictures must be outrageous - no wonder they want a small fortune for the books.

Edit  They also offer free shipping for any two books. I wonder if that only applies to Europe. I doubt they would send them across the Big Pond to Canada and the US for free.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:47:22 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Bud2

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 08:16:52 PM »
The thing is maybe the books do cover things some people may not even think about, in which case they are enjoying their Genos without the books. On the other hand if anyone has any questions they can always ask on here and get the answers from people who do know about these things, I can't say I have ever seen a question not answered  on here to the person who asked it satisfaction.
Bill

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 02:49:25 AM »
The thing is maybe the books do cover things some people may not even think about, in which case they are enjoying their Genos without the books. On the other hand if anyone has any questions they can always ask on here and get the answers from people who do know about these things, I can't say I have ever seen a question not answered  on here to the person who asked it satisfaction.
Bill
Good point, Bill!!

Murat

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 09:41:33 AM »
Bill

I had a question and it was never answered - it was:

Is there a way to keep the LEFT (with or without HOLD) 'on' or 'off' regardless of what is saved in ONE TOUCH SETTING. For example, say all 4 OTSs have the LEFT turned off but while playing a song I might decide to turn on the LEFT and as the song progresses I might want to go to OTS2 but the LEFT will turn off! Is there a way to keep the LEFT staying ON or OFF independent from the OTS?

Yes, the books are too expensive. We need a proper index / contents page to see what the books actually intails. I think they are taking advantage of Genos owners - thinking a person who can afford a beast like the Genos can surely afford these books. It is not about the affordability at all though.

By the way, it is another beautiful day here in sunny Brighton!  :)

DenFran246

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 12:56:53 PM »
Was seriously tempted to buy Book 1, even though it was overpriced, and found the postage to the UK was £4.99.
Total £49.98. I will not be buying at the moment.
Dennis

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 01:02:39 PM »
In comparison KORG provide free video tutorials....Just Saying.
DGX670

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »
Is there a way to keep the LEFT (with or without HOLD) 'on' or 'off' regardless of what is saved in ONE TOUCH SETTING. For example, say all 4 OTSs have the LEFT turned off but while playing a song I might decide to turn on the LEFT and as the song progresses I might want to go to OTS2 but the LEFT will turn off! Is there a way to keep the LEFT staying ON or OFF independent from the OTS?

You can't do this with OTS.

You can do this with registrations. Activate OTS 1, then store the voices in a reg key. Be sure to check the Voice flag and deselect the style flag. You may repeat this for OTS2-4. You will end up with 4 reg keys that will switch RIGHT1-3 voices but NOT the LEFT voice. Apparently it doesn't work when OTS changes the LEFT voice too, but to my best knowledge the Preset Style's OTS always features one single voice for OTS1-4.
Regards, Michael

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 04:08:03 PM »
Quoting Murat
"Is there a way to keep the LEFT staying ON or OFF independent from the OTS?"

It is possible to do this without resorting to registrations if you turn Freeze on ensuring style (only) is ticked in the Freeze settings while using OTS.

John
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:10:29 PM by jwyvern »

khudson7

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »
Hi karl28,
After looking on their site, it appears there is a 3rd book in the works.  Did you find the first 2 books to be consecutive information?  Or is second book just a re-print and updated version of the first book?

Thanks,
Ken

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 10:17:19 AM »
overpriced
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline karl28

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 07:03:31 PM »
Hi karl28,
After looking on their site, it appears there is a 3rd book in the works.  Did you find the first 2 books to be consecutive information?  Or is second book just a re-print and updated version of the first book?

Thanks,
Ken

Hi,
They're completely different, covering different topics. I'm saving up for book 3 as there's so much that can be learnt from them.

Regards,

Karl

The following users thanked this post: terryB