Author Topic: Four Questions Regarding the PSR 2000  (Read 7164 times)

Skeezix

Four Questions Regarding the PSR 2000
« on: February 25, 2019, 04:38:44 PM »
In 2002 I bought a new PSR 2000 keyboard. Up until around 2012 I visited the P2K forum quite often, and I downloaded quite a few utilities, styles, etc. Then things came up and I had to quit the P2K and the forum for it. Now I have the time to resume where I left off with the keyboard and am in the process of going through my documentation. I have 3 questions:

1. I notice that the forum for the P2K has recently been flushed out and there are only 2 messages in it. Is there a backup for that forum that I can view?

2. What is a ".PRS" file?

3. One of my style files (Cherry Blossom & Apple Blossom White.sty) is 87 Kbytes. This style will not load onto my P2K due to its size. What is the maximum file size for a style file when used with a P2K?

4. I had saved 40 styles to my FD. When I load them now, the tempo is the same for all styles. The Tempo Lock function is "OFF". I turned it on but the tempo in the 40 styles is still the same for all styles. Where can I find more information about how to use the Tempo Lock function?

Thank you in advance for your help!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:50:03 PM by Skeezix »

Offline Toril S

Re: Four Questions Regarding the PSR 2000
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »
Hello Skeezix :)
I have the PSR 2100. I can answer your first question: The board was trimmed down due to an accident when we moved to a new server. It has not been possible to retrieve the posts. So now it is ut to us with the old keyboards to write some more posts :)
Sadly, I don't have the answer to the other questions, but I guess others will chime in soon.

I am curious: Do you still use floppy disks, or have you installed an emulator?
I still have the floppy, but I rarely use the 2100 any longer, as I have two newer keyboards. But the 2000/2100 are fantastic keyboards with good sound, and they are built like a tank, sturdy as can be. I will never part with mine. When my S970 suddenly broke down, the 2100 served me well again for some months! Good luck, and take care of the 2000!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 08:27:17 PM »
Hello again :)
Here is a link to an ecplanation of what the style file endings mean :)
PRS means Pro.

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/software_12.htm
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 09:25:09 PM »
Hi my friend.
If you have the tempo lock function in OFF position then the styles should be playing with their original tempo.
Turning the tempo lock function to ON position all styles should be playing the same tempo you are at the moment.

.PRS file as Toril explained is a style file(accompaniment file/rhythm for Yamaha keyboards) eg a valse style,a hard rock style,a disco style etc.

.VCE is a file for playing a voice on the keyboard e.g a piano sound or a violin sound etc.

You can download styles for the psr2000 from here, in case you missed that page:
https://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/psr-2000.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:28:33 PM by panos »

Skeezix

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 10:53:13 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

>>I am curious: Do you still use floppy disks, or have you installed an emulator? <<

In 2012 I bought a little gizmo from a person named "Trung". It was supposed to replace the FDD with a USB interface. I installed it into the P2K but never really figured out how to make it work right. Something to do with using the emulator's two buttons to select a style... that was seven years ago and I can't recall exactly what the problem was. I wound up sending the emulator back for a refund.

Before I bought the emulator from Trung I downloaded some info about an "HxC2001" emulator but didn't buy it. That was in 2012.

Are you using an emulator? If so, what brand? Do you like it?

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 08:27:20 AM »
No. I use the floppy disk drive. But it is becoming difficult to get diska!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 09:26:55 AM »
I have been using the 'Trung' emulator since 2009 and still do so today in a PSR 2000 for students. (each has his own virtual floppy)
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950