Author Topic: Different music script: KlavarSkribo, a perfect easy music notation!  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Denn

Hello, Came across this on my travels. Strange system but I suppose it could be of some use. KlavarSkribo, a perfect easy music notation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIoIvxunihA

Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline andyg

Re: Different music script: KlavarSkribo, a perfect easy music notation!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 05:42:54 PM »
It's been around longer than I can remember, and I started in music in the late 1960s!

It does work, but personally, I think it's a dead end street, as if you learn to play using Klavar, that's all you'll be able to read and play. You'll be missing out on all the music that isn't available in Klavar format.

Our conventional staves and notes have been around ever since Guido d'Arezzo wrote that first red line to mark a definite pitch, and then went on to develop the musical staff - around 1000 years ago. Nothing's replaced it or bettered it, IMHO!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:04:06 PM »
I saw also other methods of showing music.
My favourite one is the midi files were you can listen and see on keyboard's keys what is shown on those lines which I am still having problem to memorize the basic notes. >:(
All lines look so similar to me :o

Offline Denn

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:44:49 AM »
Hello Andy, Yes, it was invented in 1931 in Holland. My problem with the system is that you would need a sheet 88 notes wide for some of the Classical pieces. I tried to work on it as in the video but did not come to terms with it. Regards, Den.
Thinking of it, it may be the basis of the punch cards used in the big street organs (Draaiorgal). Den
Love knitting dolls

Offline loendersloot

I happened to come across this entry about klavarskribo. I've been playing music in klavar for almost 40 years and with a lot of pleasure. It has given me the opportunity to play much more difficult music than in Classical writing. However, there are disadvantages. The availability of more modern music is a problem. The self transfer is a possibility that is easy to do with special software and is not really difficult. I have included an interesting article from someone who uses the traditional notation and writes about his experience with someone who was brought up with klavarskribo.

Jos

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Denn

Groeten Jos, Looked at the link that you posted. I have also downloaded information from the net; but what happens when you have an arpeggio from middle C to the top of the kbd? I wrote before "you would need a sheet 88 notes wide". What is shown on your PDF link is only a narrow section for the middle of the kbd. Again, what about left hand chords, minors, diminished and augmented? I am not criticizing your post, I am really interested.
Regards, Denn
Love knitting dolls

Offline loendersloot

Hi Dennis, good questions and you are not the only one.

The next translated statement is from a Dutch forum with a simular question as you, and I hope this answers your question as well.

“I read you your question about notating notes in higher and lower octaves in Klavarskribo music notation. That's just like traditional music writing with guides. But the octava-character is also often used, such as 8va and 8va bassa and 15ma. This means that you do not get very wide staves. Klavarskribo also uses most musical signs such as dynastic signs and articulation signs from the notation, but also all tempo indications up to accelerando and ritardando. “

If you want to learn more about klavarskribo here are some links:

Some interesting links: https://www.klavarskribo.eu/en/ (the official klavarskribo Publisher site)
http://www.musicalfossils.com/wpmf/notation/

https://youtu.be/sk2ON3XT6qk (link to trial lessons, in Dutch, but you can get an good idea how it works I hope)

I hope this information is helping you to understand a little bit better the advantages of klavarskribo. If you have anymore questions, don’t hesitate, I will try to answer them to best of my knowledge.

Regards Jos