Author Topic: Voices  (Read 4761 times)

Offline Oymmot

Voices
« on: February 20, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
Hey all!
I will probably tease some here on this forum after I wrote this about Yamaha's sound across the registry.  >:(
Plays up a style or midi file and at the same time switches and in between EQ: flat, bright and so on all settings.
Then you notice the murmur, confined sound found in the instrument. It becomes much clearer and not as trapped as it is by default when you start at Flat and go up.
Flat is not at all used.
I have had all the Tyros models and now Genos and it is exactly the same embedded sounds in all these models in my ears.
I would appreciate if someone has a good EQ attitude to share.
Tommy  :)
Tommy Ölin
E-post: tommy.sune.olin@gmail.com

Offline Oymmot

Re: Voices
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »
Hi.
Very strange, 117 pages with members about 40 on each page are listed and there will be over 4600 members.
Does it then find none of those who have any point of view on the EQ on their Genos?
Only one has emailed me about their settings! :'(
Hmmm ....
Tommy :-[
Tommy Ölin

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
Hi.
Very strange, 117 pages with members about 40 on each page are listed and there will be over 4600 members.
Does it then find none of those who have any point of view on the EQ on their Genos?
Only one has emailed me about their settings! :'(
Hmmm ....
Tommy :-[

That’s because we’ve had hundreds of discussions on EQ. All you have to do is look through the archives. That’s what they’re there for.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:09:06 AM »
That's what they're there for.  :(
I do not think it was so nice to be so on but it gets the one who wrote it stand for.
Of course I have been and searched the forum for just EQ settings but have not found anything that directly shows in plain text.
A lot of theories are spoken, programs for checking frequencies etc. but not something that directly shows what someone is using for settings to their speakers or equipment.
What I and certainly more with me certainly call for is one of the things that follow below.
Then it is up to each one to listen to and think about whether to use the settings.
Example.
To my Genos I have two Bose Compact speakers and I use these settings that come here and they think I work to my satisfaction.
Then you can tell which frequencies, how to change the different parameters like Hz, Q, and Db. In plain text!
Not everyone is so familiar with all technical settings that you understand what is meant, and certainly not if you have a mother tongue other than English or American.
Tommy
Tommy Ölin

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 11:22:25 PM »
Hi Tommy,

Let us help. I use a pair of Bose Compacts. I love them and have come up with EQ settings that work perfectly for performances. For now, please tell us what you're using for EQ settings with your Bose Compacts.

We'll get you straightened out with all the tech jargon. Please supply a list of words or terms you need help with. Let's start there. After all the complaining and wishes for additional features to the Genos, your request represents the true nature of this forum - to make the most of your Genos, while travelling  down the simplest road :).

Talk to us.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 03:57:10 PM »
I use 2 Bose Compact and when I get so split when I am getting good Eq settings I have chosen to use Bright, one of the fixed settings available.
I chose to use this setting as it removes some of the enclosed sound that is otherwise present.
I am looking for given setting parameters that others think give them good sound.
In plain text I wrote in previous posts!
Tommy
Tommy Ölin

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 01:03:32 PM »
Tommy, I've used the Bright setting too. I found them to be a little too bright for some performances. If you know how to create your own Master EQ settings, then try the following settings. I find they bring out the sounds without being overly loud.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 07:45:30 AM »
Thanks Lee.
I will test tonight and return with my impressions.
Tommy  ;)
Tommy Ölin

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
Hi.
Thank you Lee, now I have tested and when it comes to the sounds in Genosen then it becomes clear better with these settings but ... it also affects the microphone sound which I did not think so much about.
If I were to use these settings, I would also have to start manipulating the EQ on the microphone input.
I also want to comment on a previous post by Lee about the new Geno owner who was assigned new EQ settings before he bought his new Genos.
There was absolutely no fault in that recommendation as it is an enclosed sound in Geno's and all Yamaha's keyboards.
Tommy
Tommy Ölin

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 12:58:27 PM »
Thanks, Tommy. You are correct about the EQ settings also affecting the mic sound. Hence, the term Master EQ. If you are playing outside your home, I would keep those settings and tone down the mic settings a bit to compensate. The mic you are using is a condenser type, and of very good quality. It will tend to sound very bright with those EQ settings. Frankly, I never thought about that!

Question for all members Does the Master EQ affect the mic settings or strictly the keyboard voices? I would think both.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:59:56 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 02:20:52 PM »
Question for all members Does the Master EQ affect the mic settings or strictly the keyboard voices? I would think both.

Hi Lee --

The Master EQ and Master Compressor affect everything post-mix except Audio Song and Aux In. [Block Diagram, Genos Reference Manual, page 124]

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 12:57:19 PM »
Thanks for that PJD! So the mic is affected by ED GOLD (and other master EQ settings). We need to apply further adjustments to the mic settings to compensate, as required.