Author Topic: Used PSR recommendations?  (Read 3574 times)

randelph

Used PSR recommendations?
« on: February 23, 2019, 11:53:06 PM »
Hi, new to this board.

I just found out today that the PSR EW400 (the EW410 is the latest) that I ordered from Guitar Center was sold to another customer.  Big bummer!  It didn't have all the features I wanted, but at $150, 24 watts of speaker power and 76 keys, I would have been happy.

So- here I am again, trying to figure out what I can get used that has a lot of bang for the buck.

I recently had my Casio MZ-X500 stolen.  Other than not having 76 keys, it was my ideal keyboard for taking to sessions.  But I don't have $1,100 to replace it or even $900 for a used one.

My budget is $300-$600, possibly a little higher.  I figure this is the place to ask about used PSR's that are a definite step up from the PSR EW 400/410.

My must-haves:
- MIDI jacks
- Audio input
- Mic input
- Powerful speakers
- Decent keybed that plays well towards the back of the keys

My would-like-to have features:
- 76 keys
- Knobs / sliders for real-time adjustments
- Lightweight (15-20 pounds)
- Friendly user interface for the basics
- Hopefully not over 10 years old unless known for reliability
- Expression pedal input, not just sustain
- Very good sounds

Of course there's alot of used boards out there, but a recommendation would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

Offline jtrue

Re: Used PSR recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »
Still happy with my PSR-S910, if you can find one.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 07:08:54 PM »
All psr s series older and newer models, got 61 keys as fas as I know.
You want to sing so its got to be an s9xx model I guess.
There are some function for singing on s9xx compare to 6xx and 7xx which are much cheaper.
Also only the new ones of psr s got sliders/knobs.
Keybed is descent.It is a keyboard not a digital piano.
Don't know about how many pedals they support.
I can see 2 foot pedals inputs on my s750.
So I guess it is automatic. No clutch input  >:(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:13:08 PM by panos »

randelph

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »
Thanks for recommendations!  The obvious didn't occur to me, to look at the s9xx boards in particular.  The higher end boards are usually better made and would likely hold up longer.

@ Panos,
So are you making a joke about no clutch input?  Otherwise I don't get it.

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 09:08:00 PM »
Yes I tried to make a joke about the pedals.
It wasn't successful though.Never mind  :)

People who are singing prefer the s 9xx.
But will you able to find a cheap one? It is hard.

Moving from a 1000$ keyboard to psr E series maybe you won't be that satisfied with the overall sound but they are much cheaper.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 09:21:12 PM »
Keep in mind with used keyboard, 10 -12 years is about all you are gonna average. And I think it is anything over 5-6 years old and you will not be able to find the parts to fix it when something goes wrong with it.

These keyboards are made of circuit boards and plastic (ie not meant to last forever).

Purchasing used is a crap shoot from Ebay. I started out that way but new is really the correct way to go and take care of your equipment.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:23:09 PM by DrakeM »

Offline jtrue

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »
I agree with Drake that purchasing on eBay carries substantial risk.  Conversely, I have both bought and sold keyboards from/to members of this site with satisfaction all around.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

randelph

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 01:12:51 AM »
Yeah buying used is always a risk.  However, even on ebay there are online retailers, like Music 123 that offer 30 day returns and the like.  Also, buying from Guitar Center used is pretty fantastic- you have their nationwide inventory to choose from, they'll ship it direct to your house or the nearest GC, PLUS a 45 day return!  And if you don't like it, you don't have to ship it back, just return it to a local store.  They're the first ones I check out.  Unfortunately I tried to buy a PSR EW 400 ($150!),  but even after placing the order I was informed someone else bought it, turns out its not entirely uncommon for two buyers to be after the same purchase.

Yeah, buying older boards carries a bigger risk, which is why I would think its generally safer to get a higher end board, probably better made in the first place.  Which is why I was asking for recommendations.

I checked out your for sale section on this forum- it's close to 90% for Tyros, Genos and s9xx boards!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 01:14:26 AM by randelph »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
Yes. This forum is connected to the main site,PSRTutorial, which was originally started in order to help with using the high end Yamaha PSR keyboards and expanded to cover the two newer models that you have noted over the years. In the last 2-3 years the forum has expanded to now included low end Yamaha keyboards.