Author Topic: MIDI control from master keyboard  (Read 2736 times)

dhts

MIDI control from master keyboard
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to use an 88 key digital piano as a master keyboard for the Genos. Is it possible to use certain keys to say select which intro or break, and the rest to control the Genos keyboard normally ?

If I set the external controller channel to 2 (which is what my piano is set up for) I can control the functions but it seems to then ignore the receive channel when you set the option to keyboard.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

SeaGtGruff

Re: MIDI control from master keyboard
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:00:17 PM »
Is it possible to use certain keys to say select which intro or break, and the rest to control the Genos keyboard normally ?

I believe this is called "key switching," but I might be wrong about that term. It usually requires software logic to check the Note events to see which ones to let through (play normally) and which ones to replace with other events. If you aren't using a tablet, laptop, or computer to route and process the MIDI then I think you can buy "MIDI boxes" and certain MIDI audio interfaces that can be programmed to do things like convert Note events to other events (including SysEx messages), move messages from one MIDI channel to another, etc.

dhts

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 11:36:23 PM »
Thanks for that. I guess you mean something like:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/midi_solutions_programmable_output_selector.htm

And use the two midi inputs on the Genos.

I wasn't sure whether I was just missing something in the Genos menus which would allow it.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 11:18:30 AM »
That’s one of the companies I’m aware of, but I think the specific type of MIDI box you’d need is one of their Event Processors:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm
or
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

I think another company that might have a solution is iConnectivity, but I’m not certain what event-processing capabilities their MIDI audio interfaces have.

dhts

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
I think another company that might have a solution is iConnectivity, but I’m not certain what event-processing capabilities their MIDI audio interfaces have.

You're right I'd picked the wrong midisolutions box.

I asked iConnectivity the question and their support said they can't split messages based on which key is pressed.

So midisolutions looks like the answer.

Many thanks.

Dave

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 10:53:46 PM »
Just be sure you get the right one for your needs.

As I understand it, the normal one (Event Processor) can process up to 10 events and store up to 2 variables, but I think that if you need to "chain" steps together to get more done then each additional step uses up one of the 10 events.

But I'm not certain that that's how it works, so you might want to speak with MIDI Solutions to find out. You can also download the programming manual for the Event Processor and get an idea of how it works by perusing the manual.

If you need to process more than 10 events and/or store more than 2 variables, the more deluxe version (Event Processor Plus) can process up to 32 events and store up to 8 variables.

So you might want to get the more deluxe version, even if it might be a bit of overkill for your current plans, if only so you'll have "room to grow."