Author Topic: Confused about the flash memory upgrade  (Read 3654 times)

Synthfan

Confused about the flash memory upgrade
« on: February 19, 2019, 04:11:17 AM »
I have a Tyros 5 and my current understanding is, if I want to download any new styles, or any new instruments (for example I want more/better Rhodes electric pianos) -- my Tyros 5 needs some special Flash Memory Expansion Module?

Considering the high price of the Tyros 5, why didn't Yamaha just ship all Tyros 5 keyboards with this mysterious Flash Memory Expansion Module already included?

Offline frankmusik

Re: Confused about the flash memory upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 07:24:05 AM »
A lot of users, just play and never need additional Flash for new voices ...
You donīt need id for styles/regs/songs ..

So THEY would pay more...

It is like the glas --half empty  half full :-)

Also a lot of people buy flash - but never use it .... just "to have" ..

greetings from germany
frank

PS: I am one of the 2 guys foreced mutec to build the 2 GB Flash .. :-)  on the day of T5 promo I said  1GB is to small ....
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »
For T5, you do need the flash memory for expansion pack voices, installed via YEM, which are entirely optional.

You don't need flash memory for new styles that only use the inbuilt voices. So you don't need it for the thousands of style files available for download on this site. Many expansion packs come with custom styles, which use the voices from the pack, so for those you do need the flash for them to sound right.

@frankmusik: My T5 came with the 1GB module installed. If it wasn't so expensive I'd swap if for a 2GB module .... but only Mutec make it so they can charge what they like!

On your last point - Genos does come with 1.8GB expansion memory built in, so it seems Yamaha have decided to ship it as standard now.

And worth just repeating the point, if you haven't downloaded any styles from this site yet then there's nothing stopping you doing it.

Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
There are 1Gb and 2Gb memory boards being sold at very low prices by people who have bought Genos. Take a look on E-Bay

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
There are 1Gb and 2Gb memory boards being sold at very low prices by people who have bought Genos. Take a look on E-Bay

I can only see new 2GB boards at Ģ331 on EBay, I've probably missed the boat on that one.
Genos

Synthfan

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »
Thanks guys -

just to confirm: If I want a wider selection of Electric Pianos (for example) on my T5, my only option is Expansion Pack voices, yes? Or is there another source of multi-sampled EPs?

Roland

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:21:55 PM »
Yamaha's MusicSoft is a good place to start - they have tons of material. I would also check out CMS Sounddesign - they do fantastic work - see http://www.cms-sounddesign.de/page168.html.

Cheers, Roland

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 10:53:29 PM »
YEM can also work with soundfonts, though result s can vary.

There are a number of free soundfornts available online, if you run a google search.

You still need the flash memory for these though, because that's where expansion waves are stored.

But it's worth a try - you might find something you like. Let us know!
Genos