Author Topic: PSR S950 error - incompatible or unsupported USB device  (Read 23710 times)

kboardrey

PSR S950 error - incompatible or unsupported USB device
« on: July 30, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »
I am trying to connect Apple Mini Ipad to my PSR S950 to establish a connection in order to send chord progressions generated by Yamaha Chord Tracker App to send to the instrument.  I am using the USB cable for my Ipad.  Did not want to buy the suggested Wi-Fi adapter yet . I prefer a direct cable connection instead of wifi.  Error message says:  Incompatible or unsupported device connected to instrument.  Need help how to send generated chord progressions from Chord Tracker to my PSR S950.  Why is Ipad Mini not compatible? I am aware that my instrument is not listed among chord tracker supported instruments but a guy said he have successfully connected chord tracker to PSR S950. Following instructions he suggested but I cannot even get past the connection of my Ipad to the PSR S950. Help.

Offline Ed B

Re: PSR S950 error - incompatible or unsupported USB device
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 02:34:30 AM »
Hi
The link below provides Yamaha's instructions for connecting your ipad to the 950:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/6/725646/iphone_ipad_connect_en_om_j0.pdf
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Bill Frizzell

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 07:10:14 PM »
it is most likely the patch cord. Apple wants you to pay lots of money for there cords. Try changing to a approved patch cord and see if the warning goes away. Worked for me many times.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 01:22:01 AM »
I am trying to connect Apple Mini Ipad to my PSR S950 to establish a connection in order to send chord progressions generated by Yamaha Chord Tracker App to send to the instrument.  I am using the USB cable for my Ipad.  Did not want to buy the suggested Wi-Fi adapter yet . I prefer a direct cable connection instead of wifi.  Error message says:  Incompatible or unsupported device connected to instrument.  Need help how to send generated chord progressions from Chord Tracker to my PSR S950.  Why is Ipad Mini not compatible? I am aware that my instrument is not listed among chord tracker supported instruments but a guy said he have successfully connected chord tracker to PSR S950. Following instructions he suggested but I cannot even get past the connection of my Ipad to the PSR S950. Help.

Hi kboardrey,

you did obviously try to connect the iPad to the "USB to DEVICE" jack of the S950 (by using the "Power" cable of the iPad (USB A plug to lightning connector).

This does NOT work! You have to use the "USB TO HOST" jack of the S950 and a "USB type AB" cable ("printer cable"):

Connect USB B plug of that cable to the S950's "USB to HOST" jack and connect the other side (USB A plug) to the iPad, via a "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter".

I recommend to use the original Apple "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter", because you can connect the Power cord at the same time, when using this adapter:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91&fs=f%3Dadapter%26fh%3D4588%252B45b0

You can also use the "old" "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter", which has only a USB A jack (but NO Lightning jack to power the iPad simultaneously):

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=91&fs=f%3Dadapter%26fh%3D4588%252B45b0

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:39:15 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)