Author Topic: Inserting Transposition to a Midi File ?  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Bob88

Inserting Transposition to a Midi File ?
« on: February 13, 2019, 03:00:07 AM »
   On my Genos  I have created a midi file that I want to insert  a transposition part way through.   I wanted to make the transposion at bar 149 and have it  continue through the rest of the song.   On the screen at the bottom where the function options are listed Quantize, Delete, Mix and Transpose, I selected transpose and inserted the trasnposition
to the proper channels and chose execute then save.   Everything played correctly except when I went back to bar one, the entire track had been transposed..   Bob

Bachus

Re: Inserting Transposition to a Midi File ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:08:56 AM »
For advanced midi edditing, you best use a pc or ipad with sequencing/daw software... or any other tools to edit midi files..

Offline Teknoss

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »
I guess you need to use Sysex.
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 02:36:15 PM »
Hi Bob --

I love this question!

One place to look -- General MIDI RPN (Registered Parameter Number) Coarse Tune (02 02). Genos Data List PDF, page 99.

You may have to insert the RPN event into the Song via Step Edit.

I'm curious to know if Coarse Tune affects the drum channel(s)?

All the best -- pj

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »
It is always best to add the transpose while recording the Midi song. Just make sure your transpose is set to keyboard.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 02:41:56 PM »
An alternative approach is either an XG SYSTEM TRANSPOSE message (Genos Data List PDF, page 99) or an XG MULTI PART NOTE SHIFT message (Genos Data List PDF, page 105).

SYSTEM TRANSPOSE affects all channels (including drums?) while MULTI PART NOTE SHIFT affects a single part (channel). In the case of NOTE SHIFT, each song part would need a NOTE SHIFT message.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline Bob88

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 03:36:48 PM »
    Thank you all for your replies.   I will follow up on your suggestions.   After  a midi has been created the use of sequencing software is probably the simpler way to go.   Regards, Bob

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 06:26:21 PM »
Bob,

Another possibility is to use XG Works, in this software one can cut the piece that need reworking like tranposing, and then save it as a new midi file, easy and fast.

Regards <> Piet
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »
I'm curious to know if Coarse Tune affects the drum channel(s)?

According to the General MIDI specs, Coarse Tuning is not supposed to affect the notes of a drum channel.

Offline Bob88

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
   Thank you Piet.  Bob