Author Topic: MIDI transmit channels - Genos  (Read 3027 times)

Offline svpworld

MIDI transmit channels - Genos
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:28:58 AM »
I want to be able to control my Yamaha MODX which is a multi part synth (each part having its own midi channel) from the Genos.  To use the Genos as a master keyboard, I want to be able to transmit the keyboard on ALL midi channels 1-16 so to play all of the parts of the MODX performance/voice.  I can't seem to be able to do this, the best I've managed so far is to layer voices R1/R2/R3 and have those transmitting on midi channels 1-3.
Assuming it's not possible, does anyone know of a small box I can buy that would do this?   i.e. be able to convert a midi input on a single channel to output on several or all midi channels?

Many thanks
Simon

Offline andyg

Re: MIDI transmit channels - Genos
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »
MIDI Solutions - http://midisolutions.com/products.htm - do all sorts of boxes doing all sorts of things, and if they don't make one that does precisely what you want, ask them for it. I did and they made a custom box to meet an exact, slightly unsusal, requirement.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »
I want to be able to control my Yamaha MODX which is a multi part synth (each part having its own midi channel) from the Genos.  To use the Genos as a master keyboard, I want to be able to transmit the keyboard on ALL midi channels 1-16 so to play all of the parts of the MODX performance/voice.  I can't seem to be able to do this, the best I've managed so far is to layer voices R1/R2/R3 and have those transmitting on midi channels 1-3.
Assuming it's not possible, does anyone know of a small box I can buy that would do this?   i.e. be able to convert a midi input on a single channel to output on several or all midi channels?

Many thanks
Simon

It can’t be done...
As on the Genos you can only assign a single midi channel to a single Genos part..
And the modx can only accomodate a single midi input channel for each of their channels..
So using Genos as the master you could never play more then 3 sounds on the modx as once..

There is an easy way around this.. if you have an ipad..
There are quite a few apps that allow you to route midi..

I could advise apematrix, audiobus, and espepescially keystage to do just this..
There isprobably also some free apps that can dojust this..

Personally i have chose the other way around...
I am using the modx as the masterkey.. this offers much more options..
If i need to controll styles from the modx, i use channel 15.. have set up the genos to listen for chords on channel 15...  i do use the Genos as midi clock master...

Another tip.. i connected the genos audio out to the Modx audio in..
This allows you to use the beat of genos as the source for the envelope follower..
This way you can for example keep arps in beat with an mp3 song..
Or just use it for EDM purposes..

Offline svpworld

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 02:42:28 PM »
Thanks all the suggestions. I checked out the midi solutions products, neat but I think the one I would need is a bit pricey.  Still quite a handy gadget for midi processing. Actually I've since discovered on the MODX there is an option under the advanced settings to receive on all channels - so this kind of solves the problem. Of course it's not ideal as you can no longer control other parts from a sequencer, so it might be that a custom midi solutions type box is the only option if I want to do clever stuff although a cheap laptop and midi interface might do the same thing with a free DAW......   I'll keep experimenting.

Simon

Bachus

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »

Another tip.. i connected the genos audio out to the Modx audio in..
This allows you to use the beat of genos as the source for the envelope follower..
This way you can for example keep arps in beat with an mp3 song..
Or just use it for EDM purposes..

This works better the other way around..
The modx audio out has dsp and master eq settings
And they are part of a performance (registry setting)

If you route audio trough modx, it changes with every performance

With the Genos not affecting audio in at all, it works better to connectmodx audio out to Genos audio in... (offcourse its also possible to use a mixer)

Side note :

Its interesting to see how the structure of these pro instruments(modx, montage and also kronos) is quite different from arrangers...  where in arrangers a huge amount of things are still used globally (master eq/compressor being part of that)...
Thats where in these instruments as much as possible is being part of the performance

So where is arranger land everyone seems to agree master eq and compressor are to adapt to your environemnt/speakers/headset..  and on these instruments its part of the performance as a general dsp section..

Took me some time to figure out why? Well the answer is simple.. these instruments are meant to be used on stage, where a pa/mixer/audio controll is the latest stage...  and thats where the live sound gets mastered..  where arrangers are build as stand alone, with sound often going directly into the speakers..

Nowi am wondering why i didnt see this before, its actually so simple to find these reasons