Author Topic: How to find settings for a voice in a Midi  (Read 3540 times)

rogerc

How to find settings for a voice in a Midi
« on: February 09, 2019, 04:22:06 AM »
Was playing around with a Midi song file that I downloaded for Unchained Melody.
It had a Saxaphone sound that I just loved and sounded very different than any of the Sax on my presets.
How can I find the settings of this sax in this Midi file?
Or better yet is there a way I can just copy that voice and save it to USB voice folder?
Thanks
RC

Offline andyg

Re: How to find settings for a voice in a Midi
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:07:04 AM »
You'll have to examine the MIDI file. Look for the track that has the sax. At the start, there should be two numbers for 'Bank Select'. These are CC (continuous controller) numbers 0 and 32. The numbers that follow will determine which sound bank is used. Then there will be the Programme Change number for Saxophone. Now, as it's a downloaded MIDI file, there's a good chance that it will use the most basic type of sax available in the GM (General MIDI) soundset, and if so, those first two numbers may not be there at all. The Programme Change alone will select that sax.

Now, do be aware that this sax is probably the worst sax on the keyboard! It's what the person who created the MIDI has done with the sax that probably makes it sound good. A poor sax can be made to sound very good with a lot of careful programming of sound parameters that you can't use (or can't easily use) when playing live. So playing that sax normally will probably be disappointing! It's not a patch on any of the 'prime' saxes on the 970 and 975, which are designed for live play.

If you want to find that old sax, you'll find it in Legacy>GM and XG.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:30:46 AM »
Was playing around with a Midi song file that I downloaded for Unchained Melody.
It had a Saxaphone sound that I just loved and sounded very different than any of the Sax on my presets.
How can I find the settings of this sax in this Midi file?
Or better yet is there a way I can just copy that voice and save it to USB voice folder?
Thanks
RC
Can you please send the Midi file. 
I'll see what I can do. 
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

rogerc

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:14:33 PM »
Very helpful replies, appreciate your efforts.

I have attached the midi file. 
I am playing on a PSR S900, I know this could make a difference. Posted in the 975 area because it gets more traffic.
Will be updating to a 975 as soon as I break the wife down (should take about another week  ::) ;)).
Seems like the next best thing for me to do is dig into the Voice tutorials on this site and learn how to tweak my own voices. Seems like a daunting task but probably worth the effort and I like learning about all the different ways to use these keyboards.
Second thing I am going to do is start learning about all the different expansion packs that I will be able to use on my new 975.
Seems confusing to me but I am sure with this sites help and once I get the keyboard in front of me it will make a lot more sense.
Thanks to all the people on this site for your help and guidance.
RC

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, wersianer

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 05:47:08 PM »
You can edit the Voices in the Mixing Console just like you do on the S900.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
Hope I've got something close to what you want,
Regards Norman.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 10:24:17 AM »
Roger on your keyboard press the mixing console button until you see the ""mixing concole song ch1-8"" on top of your screen.
Now press the C button to see the voices your keyboard uses to play the midi file.
If the sax is playing in part 1 press the 1 button under your screen.
Now press "up" down right to the screen to see the folder this sax is in.

If you don't know which channel is playing the sax before doing this,
press """channel on off"" and then press for two seconds the button 1 again under your screen to play "solo".
Do the same with the other buttons until you here the sax in a channel.