Author Topic: PSR MIDI Receive Settings: EXTRA PART 1–5  (Read 2957 times)

chikitin

PSR MIDI Receive Settings: EXTRA PART 1–5
« on: February 02, 2019, 08:36:44 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering how these parts can be used. Specifically:

1. Is it possible to have a DAW such as Cubase to send real-time system messages to PSR using these extra parts?
2. How is that possible to use PSR as 32-channel multi timbral tone generator ( please see below)? Can anyone give me a concrete example?

In the manual we read:

EXTRA PART 1–5: There are five parts specially reserved for receiving and playing MIDI data. Normally, these parts are not used by the instrument itself. The instrument can be used as a 32-channel multi-timbral tone generator by using these five parts in addition to the parts.

Best,

CS

SeaGtGruff

Re: PSR MIDI Receive Settings: EXTRA PART 1–5
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 09:13:08 PM »
Since I don't have either model, someone will need to correct me if I'm wrong, but...

(1) Yes.

(2) A DAW or other MIDI software should be able to see two MIDI IN and two MIDI OUT ports for the keyboard. Note: I don't know if you need to be using MIDI cables connecting one set of the MIDI IN/OUT ports to an interface in addition to a USB cable, or if the USB cable carries both sets of ports. Anyway, open both MIDI OUT ports in the DAW and you can send 16 channels on each one, 32 in all.

chikitin

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 03:09:57 AM »
Since I don't have either model, someone will need to correct me if I'm wrong, but...

(1) Yes.

(2) A DAW or other MIDI software should be able to see two MIDI IN and two MIDI OUT ports for the keyboard. Note: I don't know if you need to be using MIDI cables connecting one set of the MIDI IN/OUT ports to an interface in addition to a USB cable, or if the USB cable carries both sets of ports. Anyway, open both MIDI OUT ports in the DAW and you can send 16 channels on each one, 32 in all.

1) Do you know how?
2) My DAW shows only one input port!

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 03:59:15 AM »
How are the keyboard and computer connected together? And how are the MIDI ports and channels configured in the keyboard's settings?

See page 124 of the Reference Manual:

"The instrument can receive MIDI messages over 32 channels (16 channels x 2 ports) by USB connection."

So if you have the keyboard and computer connected together via USB, you should be able to send 32 channels of MIDI data from the DAW to the keyboard.

I'm not familiar with the menu options of the PSR-S775 and PSR-S975, and the information and pictures in the Reference Manual are a bit sparse, so I can't really help you with the MIDI settings.

And I don't know whether you need to have the USB-MIDI driver installed in order to see both sets of ports on the computer, but you might want to install the latest version of the driver to be on the safe side.

Nor do I know whether you need to do anything special in your DAW. Some DAWs don't require you to set up MIDI ports and MIDI devices; they simply display whatever MIDI ports they've detected and let you use them. Other DAWs require you to configure the MIDI devices and ports that you want to use for input and output before you can actually use them in the DAW.

I'm also unclear what you mean by "real-time system messages" in the context of your questions. System messages are not channel messages; they apply to a MIDI device's system as a whole and do not contain channel numbers the way that channel messages do. So in that context it doesn't make sense to talk about sending real-time system messages to one or more of a MIDI device's channels.

The following users thanked this post: YeeL