Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 14619 times)

Offline elad770

Is this normal?
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:16:58 PM »
When I play piano (I only checked piano sounds)
One of the keys , literally only one is making some distortion sounds when reaching a high peak. I was wondering If someone encountered this issue. I will try to attach a sound file and repeat what I was Doing that caused it

Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:30:09 PM »
I have experienced this too. Please tell me what note your'e hearing the distortion on.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline elad770

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:06:28 PM »
Oh....my Goodness. Thanks man
I thought something is wrong with my brain. I was literally hitting on different key for an hour!

See the image, I think it's one of these black keys.
For sure it's a black key. Tonight I will confirm

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline elad770

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:10:30 AM »
I think that the most important thing for me to do when I come home tonight is to plug my headphones and see if this happens again. Then, record a sample and see if there.
If it's not there the only option is that the speakers are unable to perform at that level, but remember guys: I experience this with only ONE key. Yes, one key!
This is a major concern because its annoying,  especially now, when I know about it and aware of it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:29:14 AM by elad770 »

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 03:01:07 AM »
I'll check which key it is on mine. I use two Bose Compacts. Good idea about cross-checking with good quality headphones, which I have. My distortion is in a different range and is a white key. Let me check...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:03:45 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline elad770

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 04:58:24 AM »
Ok, I'm uploading the video to youtube and I really hope that you can hear it.
This is for sure
- not a setting problem because this happens Only on 1 key
- The speakers are fine but I switched them to eliminate the possibility
- Something structurally is making this annoying thin buzzing sound as if a spring is being vibrating
- When I manipulate the modulation wheel the buzzing sound takes different tones to it and when the wheel is turned all the way to the left it's gone but moved to the other note!

I feel terrible right now because I just got this a month ago!

Can you check and see if you are able to duplicate this on your Genos. Please?

https://youtu.be/7MjZjnaTex0

Bachus

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 05:40:57 AM »
Ok, I'm uploading the video to youtube and I really hope that you can hear it.
This is for sure
- not a setting problem because this happens Only on 1 key
- The speakers are fine but I switched them to eliminate the possibility
- Something structurally is making this annoying thin buzzing sound as if a spring is being vibrating
- When I manipulate the modulation wheel the buzzing sound takes different tones to it and when the wheel is turned all the way to the left it's gone but moved to the other note!

I feel terrible right now because I just got this a month ago!

Can you check and see if you are able to duplicate this on your Genos. Please?

https://youtu.be/7MjZjnaTex0

There is something resonating on the frequency of that note..
when you use the joystick to pitchshift, it chamges to another note, prooving its not key related but frequency related.. 

I tried on my Genos, can’t hear anything on the G#3 key with headsets on(to early to play witouth)
It could also be a mechanical part of your particualr Genos

meriam

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 05:46:03 AM »
Hi eladd
Yes this is normal, its called a HARMONIC
in fact its not only the piano samples that have these harmonics
but also any acoustic instrument too,
such as sax,guitar,brass,strings.

the inperfection of tonal harmonics is what makes acoustic instruments sound realistic.
heres some links to help explain this phenomenon .
Meriam x

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inharmonicity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/268568/why-are-the-harmonics-of-a-piano-tone-not-multiples-of-the-base-frequency

Offline elad770

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 06:31:15 AM »
It would have been a normal phenomenon if other keys will produce that but its literally this specific key.
I think I know what is the cause of this.
Cheap mechanical design together with cheap plastic.
I will post tomorrow because its 1:30am and I spent 2hr trying to figure this out. I can reassure you though: it's not Harmony to my ears its annoying and it's not part of the intended sound its a design flaw.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
I think is screws of case or inside. Definitely is about frequency and nothing about samples. Try other piano sound which sounds appropriate to that used in video. If the same noise happened with that G#3 or possible another key, that means is a frequency range which cause plastic case or a component inside which is not screwed well to generate that noise.
It is annoying, but is not a big problem in my opinion. There are big problems which we hope Yamaha will solve, much bigger than this one  ;D

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »
There are big problems which we hope Yamaha will solve, much bigger than this one  ;D

Oh not sure I agree with you there Vali - I suspect that everyone feels that the particular problem affecting them is the most urgent one :)
Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 12:58:30 PM »
Oh not sure I agree with you there Vali - I suspect that everyone feels that the particular problem affecting them is the most urgent one :)

I agree with you Derek about "user feeling", but now we speak exactly what is speaking on "So many bugs" thread, about number of users encountering a problem. He is the single user which post about this problem. In a stack with problems we talked here on forum, I think is the last position. Registration saving problem I think is the biggest problem, and after that are others about touch controls, etc...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
I have just tried mine and really hit it hard to produce loud volume and it is fine. I normally would mot play my keyboard with volume full on though. It sounds like that pitch is vibrating something.

Offline elad770

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »

Spot on my friend.
I actually don't feel the impact of the other bugs (yet) because I'm at the beginning of my journey with genos.
But when you play Piano and one of the keys sounds distorted, how is that not a big issue? Well....its bug for me and for my Bank.
When someone purchase the best he's naturally sensitive to things that in different scenario won't matter. That applies to all those who feel certain bugs bother them. We expect more when we invest more. Common sense.....
A lot of members are devoted yamaha users that purchasing the Genos was Obvious and trivial for them. Me? I've been waiting 7 years to finally be able to afford a "once in a life time" purchase. So excuse me if I sound paranoid or picky.
I'm actually not and the buzzing sound as if plastics and components are not properly connected is an Issue for me

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »
In this and most other cases Yamaha are the people to speak to and if necessary inspect the keyboard.

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »
I must disagree, Meriam :). You are correct about harmonics existing in all acoustic instruments. If you were correct, all Genos keyboards would be making the exact same sound because they are all made from identical parts, and the voice samples are identical. Something is wrong.

Along your lines of thinking though, it's possible the sound is being triggered as a resonant frequency in the Genos speakers because the volume is set too high. It could be distorting through the amplifier/speaker combo at that frequency. It's not mechanical in nature because it's being produced in the speakers. If it were mechanical, you would hear the sound with the Genos turned Off.

The keyboard is under warranty. Take it back for a full diagnostic. (Good idea, Eileen!)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:49:42 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »
I heard it Elad. Of cource it is a big issue! But Eileen is right, Yamaha must be contacted. I am curious. Have you tried to put the Genos on a different stand or surface to see if the buzz will change?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Sergey Kadyrov

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
I didn't understand from the text if headphones showed the same result. If it was fine in headphones, then, I guess, the problem is within the speaker itself. Maybe there's something loose there.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
Good point, Sergey. Yamaha needs to be consulted. I wouldn't live with that sound - not for $6,400. That has nothing to do with one's perception of annoyances. I has everything to do with spending big money for a defective product!

Bachus

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »
I didn't understand from the text if headphones showed the same result. If it was fine in headphones, then, I guess, the problem is within the speaker itself. Maybe there's something loose there.

No, not necessarilly..

It can be any part of the Genos resonating at that frequency..
it can be a screw, a component on the mainboard, a knob.. resonating in that exact frequemcy..

In his case since he chnaged the speakers and the problem insisted
It can’t be the speakers

Offline Stijn

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
I too think that this particular frequency makes something 'sing' inside the casing.

What happens when you remove the speakers from the keyboard and position them about half a meter away from the Genos?
Do you still hear it?

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 11:31:29 PM »
He is the single user which post about this problem.

He might be the only person to post about it here, but I have seen posts from other users on other forums complaining about this same issue— but with different keyboards, such as a DGX-6xx model. The common theme seems to be that it’s always regarding an Acoustic Piano voice and always occurs with a specific key (frequency) but none of the other keys. My suggestion to the other people was to try turning down the Reverb Depth, because Yamaha typically sets a fairly high Reverb Depth on some voices. They said it did help, but didn’t eliminate the noise entirely. Having read all of the comments in this thread, I’m inclined to agree that it’s some part that’s vibrating in response to a given frequency, perhaps more so when that frequency is reinforced by certain harmonic overtones.

Offline Helmer dk.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 11:45:22 PM »
just one idea, i had a similar problem but with more keys and my solution was to turn down the volume for the microphone!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 05:55:29 AM »
... I’m inclined to agree that it’s some part that’s vibrating in response to a given frequency, perhaps more so when that frequency is reinforced by certain harmonic overtones.

I agree with your assessment. It sounds like there is something (in the keyboard) resonating with the frequency of that particular note.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »
Hi Elad,,

Sorry to hear about the key distortion and thanks for the video showing the issue in depth.
Have not yet come across that yet on my machine, but since it has become as issue will investigate that piano and keys at a later
time.
Do hope it gets resolved as Yamaha has a good reputation for solutions or fixes.

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline EileenL

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 01:31:53 PM »
The speaker frets will sing if main volume is full on using the Genos speakers when certain notes are played. It would happen on Tyros as well. It is never recommended that you use full volume and at home you should not need it. Mine is always set to about 1 oclock for home use.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 01:38:09 PM »
The speaker frets will sing if main volume is full on using the Genos speakers when certain notes are played. It would happen on Tyros as well. It is never recommended that you use full volume and at home you should not need it. Mine is always set to about 1 oclock for home use.

I agree Eileen. I don't think either Genos speakers (or Tyros) to be used like gig speakers. If you want a bigger sound level, use bigger sound system.
I also have the same question as Stijn, did you removed Genos speaker from its places and do the same noise?

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »
This reminds me of something that happened to a friend some years ago.  I helped her choose an electronic piano to use at home for her singer-songwriter work.  We chose one (I think it was a modest-priced Roland).  It sounded quite good overall.  After she had it home for a few days, she called me to say that one or two notes didn't sound right.  She was worried she either had a "bad" unit, or that she made a bad buying decision on this particular Roland piano.

I went over to her house, and it was a lot like what you're showing/describing here.  There was a buzzing sound on 1 or 2 notes but no others.  It became more prominent as the volume was increased.  I could tell right away that it sounded mechanical (i.e. the problem was not in the sample).  The sounds were fine (clean) via headphones.

Turned out is was her music stand; she had pens and pencils, etc. on it.  When we took everything off her music stand, the sound problem was completely gone.  It was a physical resonance created the certain pitches, in the physical environment. 

She felt a lot better after I showed her this!  :-)

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Murat

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 04:11:45 PM »
It is all quite usual. My music stand and/or keyboard stand does it sometimes, intermittently makes the buzzing sounds; sometimes something on the other side of the room might start buzzing depending on the frequency of the notes being played! Or sometimes my wife starts shouting when I play the keyboard too much!  :D

Offline Toril S

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 05:08:52 PM »
Or the neighbours😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Murat

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 05:15:59 PM »
The only person (or thing) who doesn't mind my playing is my cat Nini, seriously, she come close when I start playing and looking at her face expression, she seems to enjoy my playing, really.

Offline elad770

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 08:21:40 PM »
Ok, I've found the cause and I have Good News and Bad News

I will be posting another video tonight!

Thank you all for your feedback. You are all amazing!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 08:26:24 PM »
I had a buzz on my Tyros. Turned out to be the thumb drive in the front socket that vibrated. Solved it my using an extension cable. Good that you solved it!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »
Ok, I've found the cause and I have Good News and Bad News. I will be posting another video tonight! Thank you all for your feedback. You are all amazing!
I can't wait. Don't keep us in suspenders too long :).

Offline elad770

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 04:08:51 AM »
Here are my final conclusion and finding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tXMx2BqjVA

Sorry for the mess, Basement is undergoing some construction

For those who don't want to watch the entire 14min:

The speaker produces vibration at a specific frequency. How specific? 1 key Specific!

It's a mid-range frequency that somehow takes some extra effort from those speakers. Though the distortion is NOT from the speaker, However the frequency produced is powerful enough to vibrate the cheap plastic and other components
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:20:35 AM by elad770 »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »
Hi elad.

It's good to see you found the "glitch" which provokes plastic distortion.

But, sincerely, I'm not agree with sound volume level, even it's high price, even it's preset voices. I payed 1000 euros on RCF ART732A (one piece) and I tell you, on a high volume (maximum set) and some frequencies its giving me a noise on front metal protection. But I cannot use them as this high volume because it causes me 🤢🤮 , believe me! I cannot sing in this conditions and, really, I sing (with my band) on weddings with 200-500 persons, which means largest rooms.
Yes, indeed, there is some anger because of price you payed for, but really, it's plastic, and cheap one. As I said, if you want a loud sound, you have to buy HS7 or HS8 or other studio monitors which indeed are made of high quality plastic. I don't like Genos sound system at all, I did not bought them because I knew on some level there are not good for what I want. And definitely, I bought HS7.
MO.  ;) ::)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline elad770

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 02:34:01 PM »
 *** !

You won't believe what i just found out.

Take a look:

https://youtu.be/kfcbmQ10U-0

Guys, try this on your own keyboard. Even if you don't have any issues, it's good to familiarize yourself with this phenomena
Place your hand on the left side of the keyboard and feel the vibration on the plastic, Then undo the speaker latch and see how this effect the keyboard's frame

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 03:08:17 PM »
"Plastic Fantastic Made In China" was my first impression when unbox and handle this machine. Chassis feels a bit cheap.
Anyway, what worries me most, is if it will bow down at the middle after some time permanent placed at the keyboard stand.
Time will show......  ::)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2019, 03:23:00 PM »
A sagging Genos!! I got some very disturbing pictures in my mind! Who is game for a bend test?😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

gerarde

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2019, 03:40:04 PM »
This is harmonic resonance.
It is a resonating frequency.
An example, when I am in an empty shower stall, and I sing a range of notes, I eventually sing a note that is noticeably louder.
Or you can be in a gym and hear the same thing
It would have been good if Yamaha had checked this out, and could have fixed it by adding a little damper material inside the chassis to prevent this from happening.

Gerard
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 03:42:33 PM by gerard »

Offline elad770

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2019, 03:55:07 PM »
This is harmonic resonance.
It is a resonating frequency.
An example, when I am in an empty shower stall, and I sing a range of notes, I eventually sing a note that is noticeably louder.
Or you can be in a gym and hear the same thing
It would have been good if Yamaha had checked this out, and could have fixed it by adding a little damper material inside the chassis to prevent this from happening.

Gerard

That's basically my point.
When you buy a premium product you expect attention to details.
and i agree with Gunnar and can only quote the bible:

"In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth, All the rest is made in china"    LOL  :) ;) :) :D ;D

Offline panos

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
Elad, look at it this way.
From now on when your ears will hear the Ab note they will recognize it immediately
You have Yamaha 's Education Suite on your keyboard.
Lucky you!  ;D

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »
A sagging Genos!! I got some very disturbing pictures in my mind! Who is game for a bend test?😀

Well, never as bad that it's not good for anything. It may result in real 'waterfall' keys......
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »
*** !

You won't believe what i just found out.

Take a look:

https://youtu.be/kfcbmQ10U-0

Guys, try this on your own keyboard. Even if you don't have any issues, it's good to familiarize yourself with this phenomena
Place your hand on the left side of the keyboard and feel the vibration on the plastic, Then undo the speaker latch and see how this effect the keyboard's frame

We can bash Yamaha for missing a self-resonance on their flagship arranger... But perhaps the test conditions are not the same they used when testing for those (and I guess they did!)

But, what are you using as a support for your Genos?

I would do a fast test: put your Genos on a table so it has all its supporting/dampening rubber pads touching it. Then recheck the problem. If it is still there, I guess something is wrong with your unit construction. If not... well, you can try to modify the way you support your Genos.

Just an idea!  ;)

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2019, 01:33:33 PM »
All Keyboards will resonate at certain frequencies when volume is up, even my 970 will do this from time to time if I am pushing the onboard speakers volume wise. To say it will then bend in the middle is taking it a bit to far.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »
People need to stop wining and complaining about Yamaha and just go buy a Korg or Roland or Casio.

:D

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Toril S

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »
Never!! Yamaha forever!!❤️
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Bachus

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2019, 05:19:41 PM »
People need to stop wining and complaining about Yamaha and just go buy a Korg or Roland or Casio.

:D

Joe H

I agree with you, there is a difference between wining and complaining, and discussing shortcommings and wishes.

People should not say, Yamaha should have feature X from brand Y... but explain why feature X would be great for Genos..

For me, Yamaha could create the perfect instrument by puting everything the Genos does, and everything the modx does in a single keyboard... problem is, they didn’t and it will probably not happen for a decade... so i did what Yamaha expects a loyal customer to do. I bought both.

Some time ago, i bought a modx, and playing it more and more made me realise all the things Yamaha does great.. making easy accesible keyboards with an intuitive interface that mostly sound more natural and authentic then the competition..

And so i ended up with trading in the pa4x for a Genos, the seccond i got a good deal to do so... and now i am exchnaging the modx6 for a modx8..  since i also sold the Kronos, a motif xs rack and my kurzweil pc3x, i ended up with enough money in my pocket to upgrade the Modx with a Montage 2, if such an instrument ever is released..

Point is, people need to find solutions with whats available... sure Yamaha needs to repair bugs and listen to the wishes of the owners.. and i am a strong believer that they will certainly do so for Genos...but you can’t demand things from Yamaha in the fist place, as they weren’t part of the product you bought...but what Yamaha needs to do is repair bugs, even if they are small and only affect a small group of owners.. 

I also think that The current patch is a bit overdue, but it should be here shortly, expecting a small corrective patch this month... or a bigger content patch just before musikmesse, to give sales a new push later this year...

I have come to the conclusion, that Yamaha is less buggy then the competition.. pa4x is still haunted by bugs, there even are complaints on the korg forums telling korg to first repair their current OS before releasing new features..  and ketron really is another sad story, after 2 years features promissed at the sd9’s release are still not available (sampler).. and the 8 year audya is still haunted with bugs... people should realise that the grass is not allways greener on the other side,...  there is no such thing as perfect and bugfree in todays high end electronics/software/keyboards.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2019, 06:11:29 AM »
... Yamaha could create the perfect instrument by puting everything the Genos does, and everything the modx does in a single keyboard... problem is, they didn’t and it will probably not happen for a decade... so i did what Yamaha expects a loyal customer to do. I bought both...

Point is, people need to find solutions with whats available...

As I have posted several times on the forum, I've done exactly what you have done... I bought a Motif Rack XS and found a way to integrate the 2 instruments to work as a single instrument.  Now I have the best of both worlds... a synth/arranger combo that satisfies my needs.

I also have 3 plug-in cards in my MU128 sound module that give 3 different synth engines.  Analog, 6 Operator FM and Virtual Acoustic (horns and other wind instruments played using a breath controller while playing the keyboard). All these sounds are patched through the AUX audio input of the S970 so the sounds can be recorded to the on-board USB audio recorder and blended with the S970 sounds.

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:17:35 AM by Joe H »

beykock

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2019, 07:28:23 AM »
Is there a MODX module ( or comparable module )
available ?🐸

Plse advise. Thanks !
Babette
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:31:54 AM by beykock »