Author Topic: V-console and Windows questions.  (Read 5583 times)

Bachus

V-console and Windows questions.
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »
I am not a windows man.
Atleast not where it comes to music production
Been on my Mac for almost a decade now..

So basically i want to run both V-console and a VST host at the same time..
So i need to know what midi channels does v-console use when connecting with Genos... both in and out..

I want to use other channels to connect to camelot pro..
Which should work fine as a VST host..

I don’t see any problems using both at the same time...
As the V-console does not produce any audio..

Offline zionip

Re: V-console and Windows questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
So i need to know what midi channels does v-console use when connecting with Genos... both in and out..

V-Console for Genos uses the following MIDI channels:
1.  Upper keyboard:  Genos - USB2 MIDI channel 8, both in and out (this is fixed and default, defined by the 'factory' MIDI template of V-Console).
2.  Lower keyboard:  USB or DIN-5, MIDI channel 1, both in and out.  MIDI channel 2, 4, 5, ..., 15 etc works too.
3.  Bass pedal:  DIN-5, MIDI channel 3, just in on the Windows side, out on the pedal side.  Most organ-type bass pedals come with preset MIDI channel 3, some of them have configurable MIDI channels.

For 2 and 3 (lower keyboard and bass pedal), as long as you use different MIDI channels for them, the MIDI channels are OK.  You cannot use the same MIDI channel even on different MIDI interfaces.  For example, if you use MIDI channel 1 for lower keyboard, you cannot use MIDI channel 1 on the bass pedal, even when they are connected through different MIDI interfaces.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:24:20 PM by zionip »

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »
V-Console for Genos uses the following MIDI channels:
1.  Upper keyboard:  Genos - USB MIDI channel 8, both in and out (this is fixed and default, defined by the 'factory' MIDI template of V-Console).
2.  Lower keyboard:  USB or DIN-5, MIDI channel 1, both in and out.  MIDI channel 2, 4, 5, ..., 15 etc works too.
3.  Bass pedal:  DIN-5, MIDI channel 3, just in on the Windows side, out on the pedal side.  Most organ-type bass pedals come with preset MIDI channel 3, some of them have configurable MIDI channels.

For 2 and 3 (lower keyboard and bass pedal), as long as you use different MIDI channels for them, the MIDI channels are OK.  You cannot use the same MIDI channel even on different MIDI interfaces.  For example, if you use MIDI channel 1 for lower keyboard, you cannot use MIDI channel 1 on the bass pedal, even when they are connected through different MIDI interfaces.

Thank you Paul..

Doesn’t V-console send midi on the channels 1 to 7 to?
As i tough it abused the songparts 1 to 8 for the extra voices?

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:34:29 PM »
I think you got confused with Song Parts and MIDI channels.  Song parts can go through multiple MIDI channels, they can also go through just one specific MIDI channel.

By default, V-Console for Genos communicates with Genos through USB2 MIDI channel 8 for both input and output.

Togge

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 08:35:16 PM »
This means that it would not be possible to controll the V-Console and from an organ with 2 manuals and bass pedals where playing on the upper manual would replace playing on the Genos!?

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 10:25:46 PM »
V-Console for Genos software allows us to use Genos as the sound module of an organ, using Genos itself as the upper keyboard / manual of the organ, and an additional keyboard as the lower keyboard / manual.  Both keyboards use Genos as the sound source.

Togge

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 01:22:31 AM »
That I understand.
But I wanted to know if it could possible to use Genos just as a soundsource for an organ, that already have 2 manuals and pedals, through V-console. That could have been an intresting addon for those who have an organ. One problem with making a home build organ with Genos itself as upper manual is that the distance between the keyboards is much larger than on an organ.
But my conclusion from your description of midi channels and connections is that it is unlikely that this can be done because it uses the Genos USB-midi in both direction, assuming this is the upper manual, and how would you get the notes played on the upper manual on the organ through there. Would you agree?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:28:47 AM by Togge »

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 03:19:40 AM »
The documentation of V-Console for Genos indicates the following supported configurations:
1.  Genos only ( USB2  channel 8 )
2.  Genos with a bass MIDI pedal
3.  Genos with second keyboard
4.  Genos with second keyboard and a bass MIDI pedal

V-Console obviously does not support 2-manual organ as part of the V-Console configuration.

You can contact the developer John Beesley at john@beesoftware.com, or call him at (+44) 0151 528 9767.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline loendersloot

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 08:12:13 PM »
Hi, I am just in the process of connecting a Yamaha electone EL70 with Genos using V-console. The EL70 sends midi on

Upper manual on Ch1
Lower manual on Ch2
Pedal keys      on Ch3

In V-console I am able to assign the upper manual to Ch1, Lower manual to Ch2 and the Pedal to Ch3 selecting the Midi interface
connected to the EL70.

The V console midi outputports are assigned to the Genos midi interface. I don't have figured out all the V console functionality yet, since I run into frequent stuck notes. Probably due to the use of an cheap usb midi interface (ali express). I first want to tackle this problem. Advice for a good quality midi interface is welcome.

But my first attempt this afternoon looks promissing for the use of Vconsole in combination with the Genos and EL70.

Further progress will be reported in this thread.

Regards,

Jos   

Bachus

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 09:12:03 PM »
Hi, I am just in the process of connecting a Yamaha electone EL70 with Genos using V-console. The EL70 sends midi on

Upper manual on Ch1
Lower manual on Ch2
Pedal keys      on Ch3

In V-console I am able to assign the upper manual to Ch1, Lower manual to Ch2 and the Pedal to Ch3 selecting the Midi interface
connected to the EL70.

The V console midi outputports are assigned to the Genos midi interface. I don't have figured out all the V console functionality yet, since I run into frequent stuck notes. Probably due to the use of an cheap usb midi interface (ali express). I first want to tackle this problem. Advice for a good quality midi interface is welcome.

But my first attempt this afternoon looks promissing for the use of Vconsole in combination with the Genos and EL70.

Further progress will be reported in this thread.

Regards,

Jos   

Get a used NI komplete audio 6, its both audio and midi, and around €100

Offline loendersloot

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »
Thank you for your advise. I have a Yamaha 01x digital mixer which I don't use right now. I noticed that there are midi connections on this device. So will give this a try first.

Gr, Jos

Togge

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »
Thank you for information.
loendersloot I'm looking forward to know more about how it's goes.