Author Topic: Correcting a Misplayed Note in a Midi Recording ?  (Read 4244 times)

Reg

Correcting a Misplayed Note in a Midi Recording ?
« on: January 27, 2019, 01:58:06 AM »
  I searched through the Genos manual and Reference manual but have not found an actual description of how I can correct a wrongly played note that was recorded in a midi file on my Genos.  I am able to do this with a program like Cakewalk but wish to make the correction on the Genos screen. In Cakewalk  on my computer I am able to bring up the notation in the score where the problem occurred and change the note there.  Is this possible on the Genos?  Thank you.  Reg

Offline Ed B

Re: Correcting a Misplayed Note in a Midi Recording ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:24:14 AM »
Hi
Yes it is see page 82 of the Gernos reference manual.  Here is a link to download the manual if you do not have it.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 11:33:41 AM »
Go to Song Record and select Multi Track. Now press New Song and select your midi. Now select Step Record and at the top of the screen on the left you will see Ch1 in green. Press this and you will see a drop down menu of which there are three pages. Select the track you want to correct and OK it. Now you will see all the events of that track. Find the wrong note and select the one it should have been. If you have used more than one track then you must correct them all. Once you are happy with it then Re-save.

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 01:24:33 PM »
Good point, Eileen. Also, make a copy of the song that has the error. Work on the copy instead. Never work on the original! If you do something really wrong and save it, it doesn't matter. You still have the original with only the one error. After the copy is correct, you can remove the original, and then rename the corrected copy.

That's a trick we technical writers use all the time ;).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 02:02:12 PM »
Hi
The best thing  for correcting notes is to go and get Cubase basic and do the correcting in the piano roll. Bandlab is free and you can try that (that was Sonar Platinum Producer).
So much easier than fiddling on the keyboard itself. No different from a lego building set.
If you have a computer and want to be adventurous go for Cubase 10 Pro and learn that. I am finding this program unbelievable the more i delve. The Genos works great with it
You can even move blocks of notes, alter volumes ,pan etc. also much more that you can only dream about.
The only thing to get over is the frustration of learning and making a load of mistakes.
Yes , you can completely destroy your good recording ,but then you can go back to your original if you save first copy and have another go until satisfied.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:09:54 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 02:12:35 PM »
I agree, John. For ultimate editing, use a DAW of some sort. You'll find more errors than just a note here and there!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 03:26:05 PM »
Hi John
There are a lot of people that do not want to use external devices for this and it is for those that I wrote my answer. Most things can be done on your keyboard, also some members are not that computer savvy.

Reg

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 04:52:53 PM »
  Thank you Ed, Eileen,Lee and John.  Helpful tips much appreciated.  Reg

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »
Agreed, Eileen. Your reply is very good for those who just want to make small modifications to a MIDI score. It's amazing how much you can fix right on the Genos. A DAW is complicated but for more flexible. Stay well...

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:23 PM »
Hi Eileen
I am 67 and still love to learn, but i do agree that some people do not want the hassle of computers.
Saying that a computer is a huge bonus alongside the GENOS.
I am only giving my take on how to correct notes and a whole bunch of other things that also can be done.
I still pratice every day to get more dexterity, so it is not all computers
The more you can play the less the computer has to do. But it helps.

all the best
john :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:37:51 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »
Well John I am coming up to 83 and although I use a computer I much prefer to keep it separate from my keyboard. Most things can be done with keyboard which is all part of the fun owning one.

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 03:48:30 PM »
John - one thing you can’t do on the computer is to correct it by playing. I have always found this pretty easy. You just select the track with the error, set the recording to drop out and back in at convenient points - usually a complete phrase. Then re record and play the corrected part. You can even play along with the whole thing and it will only re -record the corrected section.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 06:31:12 PM »
You can do this on keyboard with Punch In and Out.

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »
Yes, Eileen,  that exactly what I was saying - you can’t do it on the computer but it’s a piece of cake on the keyboard.
Mike