Author Topic: Yamaha Genos quick midi recording to share  (Read 4239 times)

Tyros567

Yamaha Genos quick midi recording to share
« on: January 23, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »
I made a quick midi recording, but style uses a revolver drum, and very nice sounds, if I share midi with a friend to use as a general midi he can not get right sound, any suggestion?
how can I save it as a general midi but not losing great sounds?
thanks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:44:06 PM by Tyros567 »

Tyros567

Re: quick midi recording in a Yamaha Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:37:09 PM »
I made a quick midi recording, but style uses a revolver drum, and very nice sounds, if I share midi with a friend to use as a general midi he can not get right sound, any suggestion?
thanks.

Offline panos

Re: quick midi recording
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 09:53:27 PM »
Hi my friend,
you probably have read about people converting styles to be playable for other models too.
In most cases they are changing the original voices of the style and equalize each part again using their keyboard's voices.

Same thing happens with a midi file.
Your friend got to play it on his keyboard and change the voices that his model chooses automatically to play because it doesn't have the original e.g Genos voices.
Then he must add some effects and equalize each part all over again using his ears.

If i were you I would try to record the midi using drumkits and voices that allready exist to previous models avoiding expansion packs,audio drumkits,kino strings,arpegiators and things like these.

Not to forget...
for a midi song to play to any other device(PC) or keyboard must be quantized as possible.
If it is not, then when you change the voices it would sound differently and badly because our playing is never quantized.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:04:09 PM by panos »

Offline Toril S

Re: Yamaha Genos quick midi recording to share
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:11:17 PM »
Good advice Panos. I just experienced this. I made a MIDI file on my S970, but the Tyros wouldn't play the voices. It had the voices, but the ID number had been changed, so the MIDI did not find them. A forum friend adapted the MIDI for me so that I could play it on the Tyros.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Tyros567

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 12:38:37 AM »
Thanks for advice,

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 01:22:50 AM »
You can’t save sound on a midi. The midi contains no sound, only communication data, the sound is produced by the host device. So if for example you play it on a midi player on a computer the sound will be limited to the sounds available on that computer. Same with a keyboard. If you play it on a Yamaha keyboard the midi will select similar voices to the original, so will normally be reasonable even if not exactly like the original Tyros. But not if you play it somewhere else, like a computer midi player for example.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »
You don't say what keyboard your friend has but why not record your song as WAV. This dose record the actual voices being used so you can hear it as it is.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 03:07:51 PM »
thanks.

On psr tutorial there is a program called midi player and it can convert midi files or styles with mega voices to standard midi files (GM). It is not perfect but some times it works very well.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »
What you save it as is pretty well irrelevant, no type of midi has any sound. Its just a set of transferrable digital instructions. The quality of sound is limited to the sounds available on the host.   
Mike

Offline markstyles

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 03:39:07 AM »
If your using ART2 or mega voices in your piece.  He will not get the same effect.  He has to have the exact same patches (a GENOS also).  Mega voices use different velocities to trigger different samples, as well as some very high notes C6 octave to trigger Genos to make changes to sound. 

Yes, MIDI is data only, no sound, it tells the  host to play a certain note, with a stated velocity at a specific time.. With some effort, you can modify the midi files of specific tracks to work with a different instrument. 

The positive easiest thing, would be to stick to the standard MIDI programs. Not using MSB/LSB banks..  All MIDI instruments will respond correctly to the original 128 programs.  So the Strings sound from your Genos, might not sound the same. but it will be a close approximation.