Author Topic: livestream Yamaha schedule for NAMM 2019!  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Al Ram

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

SeaGtGruff

Re: livestream Yamaha schedule for NAMM 2019!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 05:18:52 AM »
Judging by the scheduled events, there is nothing new besides MODX and CP. Of course, I do expect new PSR-E models, but I’m sure they wouldn’t rate any live-streaming events. ;) And I suppose that any PSR-S or DGX models wouldn’t be covered by YamahaSynth, either?

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 01:44:37 PM »
Yamaha issued a NAMM preview press release on January 10, 2019:

Yamaha Keyboards will unveil new additions to product lines from personal keyboards to hybrid pianos, as well as debut an entirely new product category. The Pro Music division will be launching fresh takes on hybrid guitars with cutting-edge technology, plus brand new acoustic and electronic drums along with streamlined and customizable drum hardware. The Band & Orchestral division will also be presenting an array of new wind instruments and accessories.

Yamaha Pro Audio will have a full range of new Steinberg software and hardware offerings on display in its space directly adjacent to the main Marquis Ballroom booth. Line 6 and Ampeg will be presenting their products at the Grand Ballroom located adjacent to the Yamaha main booth.

There's probably a few new products that we haven't seen yet, even if it's new trumpets.  :)

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: Jay B.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 09:59:22 AM »

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: Georgeandmarj

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
That’s the new Yamaha SHS-500. :)

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »
Yamaha's NAMM 2019 page is now open:

https://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/namm/index.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 07:08:52 PM »
Hi friends --

I posted a summary of the Yamaha SHS-500 Sonogenic at:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/winter-namm-2019-yamaha-sonogenic/

Basically, Yamaha took the VKB-100 Vocaloid keytar, threw away the Vocaloid stuff, and add a few more instruments. (The VKB-100 had a dozen or so non-vocal voices.) The sound quality is at the level of an E4xx series arranger. You'll recognize some of the voices, go sure.

The SHS-500 integration with Chord Tracker looks interesting. Chord Tracker (appears to) send scale information to the SHS-500, so happy (maybe drunken) punters can flail at the keyboard with abandon.  :)

For those looking for a keytar, the SHS-500 does have 5-pin MIDI OUT as well as USB-B. $499 (USA MSRP)

I'm glad to see Yamaha go after a new, younger market!

All the best -- pj

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/entertainment/shs/shs-500/index.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:12:47 PM by pjd »

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 07:11:03 PM »
Yamaha also announced a new PSR -- the PSR-E360. It's an E3xx level arranger with wood grain. No kidding.

They also announced a slew of YDPs, an expensive N1X piano, and Pianica.

-- pj

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 07:25:59 PM »
the PSR-E360. It's an E3xx level arranger

Based on its specs, it's basically a PSR-E263 with a velocity-sensitive keyboard and two new sets of clothes. :)

In addition to its "play any note and it will be the correct note" feature, the SHS-500 can be used as a MIDI controller. I guess that was implied when you mentioned the MIDI OUT port, but I'm explicitly mentioning it in case anyone is interested in a new keytar controller with the Yamaha brand name on it. I think it also has Bluetooth MIDI for wireless connectivity. I'm not clear on the size of the keys-- it has 37 of them, C to C, but are they "regular" sized or "mini" sized?

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 09:35:28 PM »
is there more than just the one video? I just see a lady with pink hair getting interviewed. Was hoping to see some keyboard action.

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 09:44:26 PM »
Hi Drake and Michael --

There are two videos on the Yamaha page:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/entertainment/shs/shs-500/index.html

They're mini-keys just like Reface.

-- pj

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 03:08:22 AM »
Yes, once Sweetwater was able to show it on their site I saw in the product description that it has mini keys. I wasn't feeling very inclined to buy it, anyway, but it might have made a nice little wireless keytar controller if it had regular-sized keys. :)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 07:26:43 AM »
My PoV.... toys, toys, toys...

Nothing serious till now...
And i hoped to a new OS version to Genos with this NAMM, but seems Yamaha leave Genos as it is.

Money, money, money...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline voodoo

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 03:36:37 PM »
My PoV.... toys, toys, toys...

That was my impression, too. ;)

The new piano is at professional level, but for me it is the ugly version of a nord stage/electro.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »
Money, money, money...

Amen.  :) I hope Yamaha sell a zillion toys so they can make better products for us, too. Yamaha didn't overprice Sonogenic ($300 USD street) like the initial Reface offering.

WRT the SHS-500 Sonogenic, some of the sounds are taken from the PSR series and are generally useful (e.g., strings, flute). It's almost like a Reface PSR minus auto accompaniment. I could almost use an SHS-500 as a light-weight, battery powered rehearsal instrument.

The integration with Chord Tracker is a different approach to amateur music making -- taking less musical skill than an arranger! People just want to play along with their favorite hits. Chord Tracker sends chord info to the SHS-500 while it plays back the digital audio file. The SHS-500 then selects notes that are consistent with the current chord ("Jam mode.")

More opinions at:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-shs-500-sonogenic-pre-review/

Along with a list of the 30 voices and drum kits.

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: hans1966