Author Topic: Playing along with styles  (Read 3201 times)

ryeager

Playing along with styles
« on: January 22, 2019, 08:41:23 PM »
Thus far on my Genos I have mainly been downloading free MIDI files online, adjusting the voices, and playing along by printing out the music score from the MIDI via MuseScore.

I'm now wanting to start using the built-in styles.  I've watched youtube videos of Peter Baartmans.  He uses styles, but doesn't seem to be doing just random improvisations.  In many videos he does the same songs over and over, note-for-note.

My problem isn't with hitting notes.  I'm fairly advanced on the piano.  I'm just at a loss on how to learn to play along with styles.  I can do some random chord progressions and do some simple improvisations, but the results are either repetitive or random noise.

I suppose one approach is to use sheet music or lead sheets to get chord progressions.  But what about jazz "lounge music", something along the lines of a trio of piano/drums/bass?  That sort of stuff seems to be mostly improvised, so how to learn to play?

Can anyone offer any advice or resources that can teach me how to get the most from the built-in styles?

Offline panos

Re: Playing along with styles
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:49:14 PM »
I think in this topic people are allready discussing about piano playing along with styles and maybe it will help you?
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,48338.msg378561.html#msg378561

EDIT

"Normally" with styles we play the melody with the right hand and with the left hand we don't play notes but just the chords.
E.g  Gm  Dm  F  C
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:53:43 PM by panos »

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »
Playing by ear and improvising doesn’t just ‘happen’. It takes years of practice. Start by using lead sheets and simple songs and some chord theory tutorials (they can be found on the web) so you learn to recognize and play common chord progressions, and get you ear attuned to what is right or wrong. Then gradually work you way up the scale of difficulty and trying to work out chords by yourself.
Riffs and improvisation is also a learned art. These people you are listening to are experts, with amazing musical knowledge and skills. BTW, you would be surprised at how many pro players still use lead sheets when they play rather than completely trust memory or ear.  In fact that is who they were originally designed for - the basic melody and chord progression laid out for them to invent and get creative around.
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:30:30 AM »
I use the left hand simply to play the chord, and I'm betting most keyboard players do the same. Chords in the left hand, melody in the right. We let the keyboard do the rest.

Most of my time is spent arranging the song (selecting the style, choosing the voices, adding multipads). Playing is pretty simple, but the sound is great.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Ed B

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:51:47 AM »
Hi
Work through the lesson's section  on our main site.
http://psrtutorial.com/lessons/index.html
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline Wim

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 02:11:53 PM »
Hi, Maybe this Youtube video helps a litte and give you some idea. It is in German form Alois Mueller.
Real playing examples start from minute 3.55. Before some info about choosing style etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw__QdUcRdw

rgds Wim
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:14:25 PM by Wim »