Author Topic: EQ Gold Settings Photo  (Read 6030 times)

Mike2

EQ Gold Settings Photo
« on: January 18, 2019, 09:53:57 PM »
Here is a JPG photo file. Takes a few seconds for it to open. Hope this helps. Soundpacks is updating their web page for the next few days.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Wim NL

Re: EQ Gold Settings Photo
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
I don't understand  why 400Hz to the right of 3.6kHz.
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:50:37 AM »
I don't understand  why 400Hz to the right of 3.6kHz.

Wim, does not matter which position you use a frequency. It is a parametric digital eq, which means you can change any of the given frequency channels/bands with any frequency, Q and gain.
You can reorder/sort them by frequency band, nothing will change in final sound :) 

Cheers,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
This deserves a sticky, it works that well

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 02:14:05 PM »
315Hz 400Hz 560Hz
So close to each other, why such a big Q factor?
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »
Boosting 32Hz by such a huge amount (12dB) sounds like a fairly extreme EQ setting ... if you had a good subwoofer, you'd maybe blow it out?!  Or is this setting particularly good for those that own the Yamaha Genos speaker system (and not good PA speakers/subs etc.)?

Thanks  - just wanted to understand where this fairly extreme looking set of EQ settings is most useful to use ...

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Bachus

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 04:27:19 PM »
Boosting 32Hz by such a huge amount (12dB) sounds like a fairly extreme EQ setting ... if you had a good subwoofer, you'd maybe blow it out?!  Or is this setting particularly good for those that own the Yamaha Genos speaker system (and not good PA speakers/subs etc.)?

Thanks  - just wanted to understand where this fairly extreme looking set of EQ settings is most useful to use ...

Jim

Actually with most of us oldtimers (and i am a young oldtimer) the low end and high end of our ears works lesser with ageing, so the boost should overcome that...

32khz is below what most cheaper speakers and subwoofers range..

Mike2

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »
I have the Lucas Nano 300, and when I'm playing in my home, especially with the different accompaniments in my 12 x 14 ft. room, the EQ gold is great. The Lucas nano sub I use is not that huge, but the sounds are clear and the bass is good. One thing I noticed, is when I play at Liturgical functions, using mostly free style play and soft strings, oboe, and piano, I get a better sound changing the EQ from EQ Gold to the Powerful setting, and leave compressor at natural, always. This works for me.

Reg

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 08:51:29 PM »
How do I find the screen  on the Genos that has the EQ Gold settings?  Regards, Reg

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 10:30:39 PM »
There is sometimes confusion about what the Q value means. The letter Q stands for "Quality." A high Q affects a thin spike at the chosen frequency. A low Q affects a much broader range on either side of the chosen frequency. Think of Q as another word for "slope." The uploaded pictures are demonstrations of a 5 dB increase at 200 Hz with two different Q values - one at 1 (Low) and the other at 12 (High). On the outer edges of the Genos EQ window, there is no setting for the Q. I believe these are low and high shelving values, which require no Q value. Clear as mud?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:34:34 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: frozzers

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 10:33:17 AM »
Q calculation,

"A fully parametric EQ offers continuous control of the bandwidth, which determines the range of frequencies affected, or control over the Q, which is the ratio of the center frequency to the bandwidth. "
Source:
https://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/What-Is-a-Parametric-Eq

A bit more detail

Mathematically, it is the ratio of bandwidth to center frequency, with bandwidth being defined as the difference between the lower and upper frequencies where the level is 3db down from the center frequency.

John
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:36:10 AM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »
Good explanation, John.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 08:00:41 PM »
.......the low end and high end of our ears works lesser with ageing, so the boost should overcome that...

32khz is below what most cheaper speakers and subwoofers range..

I agree, just accentuate that the loss is more pronounced in the high range.  If I apply a steep filter that removes anything above 10 kHz  I no more can hear any difference. I can still hear the effect of a filter that takes out low requencies,  which with age tend to starts to become a disturbing growl.

As to 32 Hz,   that was the lowest tone the church organ in my small home town church could produce. Really big organs can produce 16 hz and some even 8 hz.  50 or 60 hz is the sinewave hum you get from mains and you definitely hear that as a  clear tone.  But the 32 Hz felt more like a vibration than a sound so I gues that is what "good vibration" are in a disco, you feel them.

Pleaase look at Lee's illustration. If the Q  has a big numbe the + 12 would not have much of an effect, but if Q is a small number the + 12 HZ will affect sounds also in a much higher Hz range. It is a bit confusing  small Q number = large spread of frequencies affected , high Q numer = narrow spread of frquencies affected. (One would think it is the other way round  ;D)

As to the GENOS Golden EQ
I if you choose the Golden EQ and then play with the + 12 dB setting at 32 Hz you will hear a clear change in the bass, but that does mean 32 Hz are coming of of your speakers as Bachus correctly points out the speakers we mostly use cannot produce 32 Hz properly.   The non ajustable Q must by default be set to a low number = large range. Thereby you change the boost in frequencies in the range of the bass in your accompaniment.
I always have my  Genos transposed upwards to F  as my singer prefers that and still the  32 Hz  +12 boost changes the sound quite obviously.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 12:34:16 AM »
Hi - lots of good and interesting info on this thread!  One thing I read once, is that when very low frequencies are boosted, it makes an amplifier do a LOT more work to reproduce them ... if the speaker can't really produce much around/below 32Hz, I wonder if this makes the amplifier do "excess" work that is somewhat wasted?

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff