Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 5630 times)

Offline Milamber

Hello All
« on: January 17, 2019, 12:07:49 PM »
Good afternoon [my time] from the UK.  My name is Maurice and I am 74 years old, but completely new to "making music." on a keyboard. My musical taste is pretty universal but, if I had to choose, then it would be Latin.  I really enjoy the rhythms.  I have taken delivery of a Tyros 5/76 and am looking forward to learning.  I will spend a fair time studying the lessons and, doubtlessly, will end up, perhaps, asking "noob" questions with obvious [to some :) ]answers.  Regards.

Maurice.

Offline Del B

Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 01:09:17 PM »
Hello Maurice & Welcome to the forum,
I am too from the UK and have a Tyros 5/76, the forum is here to help people get more enjoyment out of their keyboards so asking questions about your great keyboard
is not a problem there will be someone here who will be able to answer most questions you have relating to your keyboard.

Just a bit of advice... try and get some sleep because you will be amazed and enthralled with your instrument and time will just fly by without you knowing :)
Happy playing

Del

The following users thanked this post: Milamber

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 02:23:41 PM »
Welcome Maurice. I have just got a Tyros 5 /61. Del is righr, sleep is a real problem😀 Have fun!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline peter-s

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 02:44:08 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Forum Maurice.
I'm sure that you will like it here.

Peter

Peter

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:40:20 PM »
Welcome Maurice.
When you say completely new to making music on a keyboard, do you mean first time using an arranger, or that you never played any kind of keyboard before? If so, do you have musical background on another instrument? I ask because knowing what you know might help us to give some advice about how to get started. The Tyros by itself is a pretty daunting piece of technology and if you are simultaneously learning to play a keyboard, you need to start with very simple steps. Otherwise there is a danger it will overwhelm and you will give up.
Mike

Offline Milamber

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »
Mike, thanks for your response.  I have [very badly ;)]  played rhythm guitar and, equally badly drums, the latter being more than 50 years ago!  I have a very basic understanding of music notation and my grandson has a much smaller keyboard but a greater understanding of music, playing Sax and Bass Guitar.  I have had a Roland - cannot remember the model and it's in the loft which I used with chord generation software more than a decade ago.  I have used only Cubase on Atari - how long ago was that!  I have a sound knowledge of "electronics" and PC's having made my own for over 30 years ie 8086 through to today's water cooled i7 @ 5GHz.  I have no worries concerning what I might be able to achieve as it's only for me.

Thanks to all for the welcome.  Best regards all.

Maurice.

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 07:43:08 PM »
Wellcome to the forum Maurice!

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 09:56:42 PM »
Hi Maurice,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a great deal about your new Tyros 5 keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend Peter (XeeniX), which presently contains almost 73,000 song titles in over 2,000 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page