Author Topic: Importing a style that Yamaha does not have!  (Read 4874 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Importing a style that Yamaha does not have!
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:35:49 AM »
Versatility is one of my necessities as a musician.
A while ago I had asked about a beat for Hava Nagila , to which I received no responses.

Now yet another style/ drum beat, came up just last month. On a memorial gig, a drummer out of the blue started playing a James Brown beat. I quickly realized Tyros has no such beat or style, and Yamaha music soft also has no such beat to purchase. I have purchased $500 of Styles and MIDI songs from Yamaha Music Soft.. but no luck with James Brown which is essential for some audiences.

So the general topic of importing at the very least, a drum beat / style into T4 is the question.

Since I am known to be rather slow in understanding the electronic and computer side of keyboards,, I got lucky and found a keyboardist who is knowledgeable of these areas.

With this in mind, now that I have a smart helper... can anyone provide various or best  means of
eg a located James Brown drum beat... how to import it into t4?
What format for this drum sample or MIDI version of a drum beat, should I be searching for?
My helper will be reading this reply.
Thank you
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:39:36 AM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

The following users thanked this post: fredo

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Importing a style that Yamaha does not have!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 02:52:51 AM »
Versatility is one of my necessities as a musician.
A while ago I had asked about a beat for Hava Nagila , to which I received no responses.

Now yet another style/ drum beat, came up just last month. On a memorial gig, a drummer out of the blue started playing a James Brown beat. I quickly realized Tyros has no such beat or style, and Yamaha music soft also has no such beat to purchase. I have purchased $500 of Styles and MIDI songs from Yamaha Music Soft.. but no luck with James Brown which is essential for some audiences.

So the general topic of importing at the very least, a drum beat / style into T4 is the question.

Since I am known to be rather slow in understanding the electronic and computer side of keyboards,, I got lucky and found a keyboardist who is knowledgeable of these areas.

With this in mind, now that I have a smart helper... can anyone provide various or best  means of
eg a located James Brown drum beat... how to import it into t4?
What format for this drum sample or MIDI version of a drum beat, should I be searching for?
My helper will be reading this reply.

The best way is to post a request here. You just say "has anyone got a style for this song: ..." and you’ll almost always get a helpful response.

Identifying the song is the best trigger.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 02:59:21 AM »
I've attached a James Brown Style for you to try, Sugarplumsss.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, peterm, sugarplumsss, Denn, pethep, wersianer, ppkeyboard

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 03:05:31 AM »
T4 is not with me at present... at a friends house, but I will audition the style ( James Brown )  as soon as I can.. Thank you.

Still, the principle of finding beats I really like and then "importing" them to t4, intrigues me.
I suspect there are some industrious people here who know the method(s) that I should  check out.

Drum beats minus all the other elements of a style file, has always been important to me, since I seldom use the complete style, but only the drum part
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:06:37 AM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

The following users thanked this post: Leading Edge

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:15:49 AM »
sugarplumsss. If you find a suitable midi file you could use PADMAKE-from Midi to get a usable drum beat.

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/padmakermidi.html
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 09:44:34 AM »
sugarplumsss. If you find a suitable midi file you could use PADMAKE-from Midi to get a usable drum beat.

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/padmakermidi.html

This seems like a feasible route. I know Addictive Drums had some very authentic, useful James Brown drum beats. I do not understand computers etc well enough to know where I should search for loops, such as found in Addictive Drum app.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
So I can import these drum loops into the Pad section of t4?

One limitation with Pad function.. once pad number 1 is on, it has to be turned off before pad 2 can be used. This interupts the flow. Is there a work around affording greater freedom with Multipad?
Thank you

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
One limitation with Pad function.. once pad number 1 is on, it has to be turned off before pad 2 can be used. This interupts the flow. Is there a work around affording greater freedom with Multipad?

That's not correct. You can easily have all four multipads running at the same time.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 12:30:35 PM »
I turn on pad 1... then turn on pad 2..  Now I have 2 pads "playing".  But I do not recall being able to turn off eg  pad 2, without having to turn off pad 1 as well!
I am glad to be mistaken on this. Unfortunately I  cannot test the multi pads, as t4 is not available for another week or so.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »
As you say, if you briefly press and release the MP 'STOP' button, then all pads that are playing will stop (the pads actually stop when you release the 'STOP' button).

However when multiple pads are playing, you can turn off any specific pad by holding down the 'STOP' button and without releasing the 'STOP' button, pressing the button of the pad that you want to stop.  In this case the pad will stop as soon as you press it's button. You can stop more than one pad at the same time if you want.

When you release the 'STOP' button any pads still playing will continue to play.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss, Gunnar Jonny