Author Topic: Search functionality on t4 or maybe Genos?  (Read 6180 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Search functionality on t4 or maybe Genos?
« on: January 14, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »
I wish there was a search function in t4. I believe there is one in MF but nowhere else. Am i correct in my assumptions about the lack of search in registrations?

Do t5 or genos have this possibility?

Is there a slick work around?

Thank you

the ghost of sugar ray robinson   ;)
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Search functionality on t4 or maybe Genos?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
I wish there was a search function in t4. I believe there is one in MF but nowhere else. Am i correct in my assumptions about the lack of search in registrations?

Do t5 or genos have this possibility?

Is there a slick work around?

The T5 has the same search capabilities as the T4 (ie, none). My workaround was to create a list (of styles, for example) in Excel where I could search there.

The Genos, however, has search in most menus. It's a godsend. I use it mostly to find styles where I know the name, but don't know where it is. Search will find it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:14:55 PM »
Thanks Fred. Alas, no search? Life is hard... I really miss that on my keyboards too!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:50:54 PM »
Thanks Fred. Alas, no search? Life is hard... I really miss that on my keyboards too!

Another reason to upgrade to the Genos.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Denn

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
HELLO again, I copied ALL the on-board styles to my H/D. They come up in alphabetical order so I can locate them. Also saved them back to  USB just in case. Also have the imported styles in other folders in alpha order. Watch for the limit in a folder. All the onboard styles need two or three folders, max in one folder is 500. Regards,Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 08:17:56 PM »
The Genos, however, has search in most menus. It's a godsend. I use it mostly to find styles where I know the name, but don't know where it is. Search will find it.

Hi Fred,

Does  the Genos search function only work with preset files, or does it also work with user files of all types (styles, voices, etc), and on all drives (including any connected USB).

I thought I had seen that it only works with presets, much like 'favorites', but it would be great news if I am wrong about this!

Regards

Ian

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 12:47:46 AM »

Does  the Genos search function only work with preset files, or does it also work with user files of all types (styles, voices, etc), and on all drives (including any connected USB).

I thought I had seen that it only works with presets, much like 'favorites', but it would be great news if I am wrong about this!

It works on all drives, and there is a search function for all file types.

For example, I'm working on La Vie en Rose, and am looking for an appropriate style. I have the PSRTutorial song styles on a USB.

I simply type in "Rose", and it displays all styles which have Rose in the name -- presets, User drive, USB drive, etc.

I use it all the time, even for presets, as I can't stand the fact the presets aren't in alphabetical order.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 01:52:52 AM »
Hi Fred,

That's great news!   This is long overdue on Yamaha arrangers, especially with the maximum files per folder increased to 2500 on Genos.

As you say the order of the preset styles is not helpful when looking for a specific one! Preset Multi Pads are the same.   I have copied all the preset styles and multi pads on my Tyros4 to the hard disk, where they are listed in alphabetical order.

I am starting to weaken about getting Genos, although this is more out of frustration with Yamaha than anything else.  I was disappointed with the Tyros 5, and so decided to wait for the next  one which (eventually) was Genos, which I am also not particularly excited about.  Maybe the expected firmware update will give me another nudge! 

Unfortunately though, it won't be able to fix the non tilting screen, or the 'jumping' sliders, which according to some of the posts that I have seen are even worse in this respect on Genos than Tyros! At least on Tyros we can use the buttons instead to make changes without the jumps! 

Thanks for confirming the search function details.

Regards

Ian

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 03:18:57 AM »
That's great news!   This is long overdue on Yamaha arrangers, especially with the maximum files per folder increased to 2500 on Genos.

As you say the order of the preset styles is not helpful when looking for a specific one! Preset Multi Pads are the same.   I have copied all the preset styles and multi pads on my Tyros4 to the hard disk, where they are listed in alphabetical order.

I am starting to weaken about getting Genos, although this is more out of frustration with Yamaha than anything else.  I was disappointed with the Tyros 5, and so decided to wait for the next  one which (eventually) was Genos, which I am also not particularly excited about.  Maybe the expected firmware update will give me another nudge! 

Unfortunately though, it won't be able to fix the non tilting screen, or the 'jumping' sliders, which according to some of the posts that I have seen are even worse in this respect on Genos than Tyros! At least on Tyros we can use the buttons instead to make changes without the jumps! 

Thanks for confirming the search function details.

Ian,

The non-tilting screen hasn't been an issue for me, but I know it's not for everyone.

The jumping sliders are an issue for everyone who uses registrations. However, on the Genos, as opposed to the Tyros, we have an alternative to use the on-screen sliders which are updated by registrations.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ