Author Topic: Overall sound on Genos  (Read 10347 times)

golfer

Overall sound on Genos
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:25:58 AM »
Hi genos keyboard player's I play a Tyros5 can't afford to change to a Genos, i'am trying to help a very good friend he is 80 plus excellent club organist he now plays kn7ooo he has a Genos keyboard and thinks the sounds are weak no get up go in them. As I play a tyros5 i'am not much help he doesn't have a computer or the Internet is there any demonstration on how to change the EQ to lift the keyboard.He is that disappointed with the keyboard he is putting it up for sale. Hope someone can help Many thanks Bill.

Offline EileenL

Re: Overall sound on Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
Hello Bill,
  There is plenty of get up and Go in Genos. There are some great new styles and voices, but as we all know you have to adjust things to your own liking. If using the Genos speakers you must make sure the back volume knob is full on. Try some of the preset EQ settings. You could try a few of your Tyros 5 registrations in Genos as they work very well. Your friend needs to give himself time with his new keyboard as we all do. 

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
Hi Bill. Eileen is 100 percent correct.

A few months before I bought my Genos, someone posted some new EQ settings for the Tyros 5. I tried them on mine and immediately said, "I don't need a Genos. My Tyros 5 sounds better than it ever did."

Fast forward several months when I had dealt my Tyros 5 for a Genos. Fresh out of the box, the Genos EQ settings were factory set at Flat. That's normal. Even at the Flat setting, the sound blew my Tyros 5 out of the water! Fast forward to today. Someone recently posted some EQ settings called EQ Gold. I use them for all my gigs now. The Genos sounds like a CD!!

Ask your friend to open the Mixer-->Master tab-->EQ settings. Try the various Yamaha presets. If he is still dissatisfied, use the EQ Gold settings shown later in this post. (For the 32 Hz setting, I use 5 dB instead of 12 dB.)

I suspect that at 80 years (and with all due respect) he is suffering from some high frequency hearing loss. The EQ Gold settings will bring the Genos alive for him. Keep us posted.

EDIT  Notice how the EQ Gold settings affect the frequency range of approximately 300 Hz to 5,000 Hz? Professional studios pay very close attention to this area because it is where most of our musical listening perceptions are best. Frequencies above and below this range are merely "icing on the cake."

- Lee

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:03:27 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

golfer

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:12:29 PM »
Hi Eileen and Lee thank you both for the information and how to change the EQ many thanks Bill

Bachus

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 03:36:57 PM »
Hi Bill. Eileen is 100 percent correct.

A few months before I bought my Genos, someone posted some new EQ settings for the Tyros 5. I tried them on mine and immediately said, "I don't need a Genos. My Tyros 5 sounds better than it ever did."

Fast forward several months when I had dealt my Tyros 5 for a Genos. Fresh out of the box, the Genos EQ settings were factory set at Flat. That's normal. Even at the Flat setting, the sound blew my Tyros 5 out of the water! Fast forward to today. Someone recently posted some EQ settings called EQ Gold. I use them for all my gigs now. The Genos sounds like a CD!!

Ask your friend to open the Mixer-->Master tab-->EQ settings. Try the various Yamaha presets. If he is still dissatisfied, use the EQ Gold settings shown later in this post. (For the 32 Hz setting, I use 5 dB instead of 12 dB.)

I suspect that at 80 years (and with all due respect) he is suffering from some high frequency hearing loss. The EQ Gold settings will bring the Genos alive for him. Keep us posted.

EDIT  Notice how the EQ Gold settings affect the frequency range of approximately 300 Hz to 5,000 Hz? Professional studios pay very close attention to this area because it is where most of our musical listening perceptions are best. Frequencies above and below this range are merely "icing on the cake."

- Lee

Wow, i just tried these...
That makes a huge difference with all standard settings..

To us over 50 it elevates the high end amd the low end..
Makes the Genos sound rich and brilliant to my ears..

What compressor setting are you using with it?
To me natural works quite well

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »
Good to hear, Bachus. The EQ Gold was a real eye (ear) opener for me :)! For the Compressor setting, I use the Natural.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 03:57:56 PM »
Glad to help, Bill :).

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:16:50 PM »

Do you have a quick link to those settings Lee?
Genos

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 04:47:11 PM »
Hi Derek,

If your referring to the new EQ settings for the T5, I'd have to do a search. I'll see if I can find them...

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 04:56:07 PM »
I tried doing a search on the T5 forum using the Advanced Search. Strangely enough when you use the words, "Tyros 5," you get an error message because the "5" is not greater than two characters. The error message is "Each word must be at least two characters long." What a dumb message to get!!!!

I give up trying to do a search on any forums. It's usually a dog's breakfast. Perhaps Joe can find my original post :(! Life's too short. Sorry I couldn't help, Derek. All I can suggest is to edit the parametric EQ settings on the T5, if it has such a function, so they are the same as the Genos EQ Gold settings.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:58:23 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »
I tried doing a search on the T5 forum using the Advanced Search. Strangely enough when you use the words, "Tyros 5," you get an error message because the "5" is not greater than two characters. The error message is "Each word must be at least two characters long." What a dumb message to get!!!!

I don't use the site search either. It's dumb to me too.

I just use Google, and specify "site:psrtutorial.com". That limits the search to just this site.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »
Golfer,

A lot of the Genos sound is dependent on what you use to hear it.

The most accurate sound I hear is through a good set of headphones.  Almost everything sounds good that way.

However, each speaker I use gives a bit of a different sound to Genos....since the speaker is the final link in the sound chain.

So, first I listen to Genos through my Sony headset, then I try to reproduce that sound using Genos EQ  in the speaker referencing the sound I hear in my headset
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline andyg

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 06:27:06 PM »
@ golfer

It's also possible that he's trying to 'drive' the Genos like a KN7000. In other words, he's trying to mix the same settings, sounds etc to 'recreate' what the KN7000 did. I've lost count of how many times I've come across that in 48 years in the business. It was exactly the same with home organs in 1971!  "My XYZ 456 doesn't sound as good as my old XYZ123!"

Just last week I visited someone who was saying the same sort of things about his new instrument. Turned out he was using what were effectively GM voices, like the one that said just 'Flute', instead of using the much higher quality 'native' sounds like 'Orchestral Flute' or 'Jazz Flute'.

I'm not saying that's definitely what's happening, but it's more common than you might think! So, if it is, see if you can get him to re-imagine and rework the settings he's using, and yes, change the EQ - I'll try that EQ gold later in the week!

The KN7000 was a very fine keyboard but its samples were short, compared to what we have today and a wee bit 'sterile' or 'fixed', if you get my meaning. Now we have instrumental sounds that are simply more realistic and that need to be played a little differently to get the best, like the SA2 voices. Hopefully you can get your friend over the initial hurdle to enjoying his Genos.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 06:32:06 PM »
Thanks Fred. The SimpleMachines forum software is excellent, especially compared to the software used for the Honda Odyssey car forums ::). It seems strange that such slick software has a major glitch in the Search function. Glad it's not just me and my aging brain :)!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »
I give up trying to do a search on any forums. It's usually a dog's breakfast. Perhaps Joe can find my original post :(! Life's too short. Sorry I couldn't help, Derek. All I can suggest is to edit the parametric EQ settings on the T5, if it has such a function, so they are the same as the Genos EQ Gold settings.

Thanks anyway Lee. I think the Genos equalizer has more bands than the T5 so I can't use them exactly as-is.
Genos

Offline panos

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »
This the adress for EQ Gold but currently is off or something.

SSL_ERROR_INTERNAL_ERROR_ALERT

https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos

I see preset settings,styles and voices of any advanced keyboard just as basic bricks to build a house (or a skyscraper :D ) as you wish.
Using the tools is not always easy but learning to play piano/keyboards wasn't easy too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:29:07 PM by panos »

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 08:43:46 PM »
This the adress for EQ Gold but currently is off or something.

SSL_ERROR_INTERNAL_ERROR_ALERT

https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos

I see preset settings,styles and voices of any advanced keyboard just as basic bricks to build a house (or a skyscraper :D ) as you wish.
Using the tools is not always easy but learning to play piano/keyboards wasn't easy too.

SoundPacks is refurbishing its WEB, according to an email I got as a customer (I bought their Genos Strings pack)

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline frozzers

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 09:30:01 PM »
to search for Tyros 5 in this forum, use double quotes ie "tyros 5".

Also use double quotes anywhere whenever you need to find the exact words you want sequentially:

https://www.editage.com/insights/how-to-make-web-searches-more-precise

Chris

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »
Good hint, Chris.

I've known about the double quotation marks ever since the internet came to be. After a short time when Google destroyed all the other search engines, they eliminated the effectiveness of the double quotation marks in searches. It now seems that sometimes they do work. **** computer developers! I wish they would make up their minds and adopt the philosophy of the 1960s Star Trek series, and that was one computer system for the entire planet that worked perfectly with no bugs!!!!!!!!!!! That will happen only when the thirst for profit has been quenched. But once again, I digress :)!!

Offline frozzers

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »
Yes Lee, Google search (and in fairness probably Bing's and the others) is astonishingly effective. It's amazing to see the suggestions appear as you type your query. Almost as though they can read your mind.

I think this is the thread you were looking for:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41147.msg329848.html#msg329848

Chris

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »
For those searching, the Gold settings are on this page further back.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 11:32:06 PM »
Thanks for finding that link, Frozzers!

Derek, that link is the correct one. Take a look.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
Will do, thank you
Genos

hollie

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »
If you go to "Soundpacks" on Google it will show you a picture on eq settings for Genos,its like a new instrument,dont forget to save it and title it.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 05:57:57 PM »
Go back up this page and you will see the Gold settings there in a screen shot ready for you to use.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »
Go back up this page and you will see the Gold settings there in a screen shot ready for you to use.

Here is the link to the screen shot mentioned by Eileen. Scroll down Lee's post that appears, to see it.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,48274.msg378063.html#msg378063

John
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:15:06 PM by jwyvern »

edtek

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 11:58:12 PM »
should that last 400Hz be 4.0kHz?  Seems out of sequence.

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2019, 08:39:54 AM »
should that last 400Hz be 4.0kHz?  Seems out of sequence.

I had not noticed that even if I applied it to my Genos!. I guess that area is specially interesting being around mid keyboard.

Jose
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:13:01 PM by EB5AGV »
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »
I believe the 400hz is wrong too, not because it is misplaced but it does not make sense. The Q value is at maximum of 12 so why boost this very narrow spike of frequencies at 400hz?
My guess is the intention was to give the narrow bandwidth boost to the 4khz frequency ( not 400hz) which is my understanding of the frequency area that gives more sizzle to say kick drums and percussion. You can hear this happening if you turn gain up and down, especially noticeable when playing the wilder rhythms eg. Rock!

John

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 01:08:58 PM »
I never noticed that! It doesn't matter though. You can scramble how the frequencies are displayed. It makes no difference electronically. It's just bad form to display them that way. I fixed them on my Genos so that they're in order.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ed :)!

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »
I believe the 400hz is wrong too, not because it is misplaced but it does not make sense. The Q value is at maximum of 12 so why boost this very narrow spike of frequencies at 400hz?
My guess is the intention was to give the narrow bandwidth boost to the 4khz frequency ( not 400hz) which is my understanding of the frequency area that gives more sizzle to say kick drums and percussion. You can hear this happening if you turn gain up and down, especially noticeable when playing the wilder rhythms eg. Rock!
John
I agree that there are a few odd things about EQ Gold. We must remember that all EQ settings are dependent on the room, speakers, musical genre, voices...there are a lot of variables. I believe EQ Gold was designed to work in one environment with the Genos speakers. At close proximity to those speakers in virtually any living room, they probably work well. They also happen to work well with my Bose L1s and my sub :). I'm going to explore the settings further.

Bachus

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »
I agree that there are a few odd things about EQ Gold. We must remember that all EQ settings are dependent on the room, speakers, musical genre, voices...there are a lot of variables. I believe EQ Gold was designed to work in one environment with the Genos speakers. At close proximity to those speakers in virtually any living room, they probably work well. They also happen to work well with my Bose L1s and my sub :). I'm going to explore the settings further.

As good as they sound on my monitoring (flat) headset..
I would gouche they are created with a headset with a very flat characteristic..

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »

Thanks Eileen, Exactly, all you have to do is snipe it and print it out, but maybe the genleman who is used to the KN 7000 is not a computerfreek.

And as has been rightly pointed out here,  at our age we are used to a certain sound and the gentleman may need to use even more EQ to adjust to his frequency curve which  drops off steeply or may have some serious dents.

Cheers

Kaarlo