Author Topic: Lowering volume of bass drum in a style.  (Read 6732 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Lowering volume of bass drum in a style.
« on: January 28, 2019, 02:32:47 AM »
Can this be accomplished inside the t4 os?
I have looked at style creator, and so far, I do not know where bass drum is... closest page is under tab PARAMETER, maybe?
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Ed B

Re: Lowering volume of bass drum in a style.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:51:11 AM »
Hi
Yes you can do this in the mixer (see page 86) of the owners manual. When you get everything set then you open style creator and save the style.

See the tutorial on the main site:
http://psrtutorial.com/lessons/tune/adjStyle/AStyles40Mixing.html

Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 03:14:17 AM »
Thank you for quick response. I was experimenting some more.. and found a way to lower the bass drum under Latin/ Bossa Nova. ( Am I the only one whose eq or speakers cause the Bossa Nova beat on variation 2, 3 and 4 to be a bit too loud?)
Anyway.  I went into Style Creator
Tabbed over to Edit at the top
and manually lowered every bass drum note.  It worked!
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 04:18:50 AM »
My half way understanding keeps following me.  I figured out how to soften the volume on drum parts ... but there are four variations of a drum style and this has created some confusion. In the mean time... I had to save 4 similar edits of the drum style ( a Bossa Nova ) so I had all four variations of the Bossa Nova.
Obviously  I am not understanding something about the design of the t4... but have a temporary solution. I saved 4 slightly different names for the four variations, just in case I was creating a problem with same name for 4 variations!!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »
If the bass drum is to loud across the style you have to lower every variation if doing in style creator. It takes a little time but is worth it to get what you want

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 02:43:01 PM »
I find the more accompaniments you turn off in a style the more you can hear the bass drum and I quite often reduce the volume. It is as Eileen said, you need to reduce the volume of it in each variation, then save it as a new style.
I sometimes find that just turning down the low frequency for RHY2 on the equalizer tab in the mixer works too, in which case you only need to do it once and it stays the same across all variations and fills etc. You can then just save it in registrations or as a new style.
Pam

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
So the eg Bossa Nova style needs to be edited a total of 4 times... one save per variation.
That is what I did.
I think USER is where Style Creator defaults to when you Save.

Thanks Everyone

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 04:00:37 PM »
You don't need to save each time you edit each variation, you can change them all THEN save. If you start with say variation A and edit that, then tab left to 'parameter' and press the style variation B button, a pop up window will appear to the bottom right of the screen. You need to 'OK' that and tab across to 'edit' and you will be editing variation B. Do the same for other variations, fills etc. then save when you have finished.
You don't have to save to User if you don't want to, you can tab to the hard drive or USB and save there. Having said that the User is a good place to temporarily keep it until you are sure it's how you want it to be, then you could move it to the hard drive or USB.
That's how it works my my T5, I guess T4 is the same?
Hope that helps
Pam

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 05:05:19 PM »
YES!!!!
Thank you keyplayer  for the labor saving suggestion.

This is a related question... I guess.

I want to use more than one thumb drive..  My HD will soon be replaced, but in mean time the three places one can store to... are a jumbled mess..  I have been siding with saving @ the thumb drive though... and a lot of good stuff is there.
The smartest way to duplicate a thumb drive in another thumb drive?  I use  a Mac ... not sure if that is relevant also I bought a window 7 laptop which I never use.. just in case tyros editing needed it!

Any thumb drives models best avoided in USA?
Does size ( smaller is quicker?? ) of thumb drive effect speed of accessing data?  I do have to wait a tad longer than I like... some times... so the question is relevant.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:09:10 PM by sugarplumsss »

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 05:47:04 PM »
I don't know anything at all about using Mac. I use my laptop with windows (I don't think it matters which version it is) to back up my main USB, I save it all on my laptop plus copy it to another USB as a spare - belt and braces that's me!
If you want to use both USB drives on the Tyros be careful. Whichever drive has a USB plugged in when you power on will be USB1. I always keep my main one plugged in at the back so that for me is USB1. I only plug a USB into the front drive if I have downloaded styles etc from the internet onto a 2nd USB stick and I'll transfer them to the USB1 via the keyboard before I use them. I link styles and voices in registrations so it's important to me that it's all on one drive.
I prefer to use the USB drive, not the hard drive, so I know everything is in one place and is easily transferable if I want to change my keyboard at any time, which I did lately, from a T5 61 to a T5 76 - the only things I had to re-load into the hard drive were my expansion voices.
Pam

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »
Sugar,If you want to correct just one drum note and not all drum notes you are at the right place in "Edit" tab.
(lets say the rhy1 part goes "tick-tack" and you want to lower the voice only of the "tick")
But you got to do it individually for all variations if they have different drum patterns.

If you want to lower the volume for all the drum pattern of Rhy1 (both the "tick" and the "tack")
then you are at the wrong place in edit tab.
Just call up the Mixing console to lower the voice of the Rhy1 as Ed B suggested.

Sorry for the ...."tick tacks" I always forget which is which in drummers language (snares,toms etc) ;D

I hope i didn't confuse you :)

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 06:57:25 PM »
Hi sugarplumsss,

you could also use the Windows program "Single Note Changer" (by Jørgen Sørensen) (for both Style files and MIDI files).

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/singlenotevolume/index.htm

First find out (in Mixing Console and in Style Creator) on which Channel/Part (9/Rhy1 or 10/Rhy2) and on which key (note number) the Bass Drum plays.

Start the "Single Note Changer" program. If a message appears about the file "javaw.exe", please refer to this thread:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,48500.msg379905.html#msg379905

Then load your Style file in "Single Note Changer", set the desired MIDI channel and note number, the desired percentage, check "Down" box and press "Go!" button.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 07:31:59 PM »
Though I bought the PC windows 7 laptop, strictly for the t4, I never use it. There must be endless updates overdue on it, not to mention Win 10!
Can I just bypass the win 7 PC and use my Mac 10.11  for the utility?
If pc preferred do I need to move to win 10?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:48:36 PM by sugarplumsss »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 12:57:58 AM »
Can I just bypass the win 7 PC and use my Mac 10.11  for the utility?
If pc preferred do I need to move to win 10?

1. No. The program runs only on Windows.
2. No. Win 7 will work nicely.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons