Author Topic: Organising performance banks...  (Read 5044 times)

Bachus

Organising performance banks...
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »

Just got the Genos, and before ending up in Chaos, i started with a good plan for organising my performance banks..

So far i decided on 5 maps..

1sounds
2styles
3songs
4multi step perf (a bank for each of my live performances)
9base settings

The first 3 are to save things i edited and created
4 is the core for performing, a bank for each item in the setlist
5 is for quickly making specific settings, like changing pedals on the fly, or going full keyboard with ai fingered

As time passes, all the folders will get sub folders..

Just wondering how everyone organised his folders?

Roland

Re: Organising performance banks...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:24:13 PM »
That is a very good point: Get organised before you start out!

I organise my set-up's slightly different: First I have folders for all the keyboard "modes" / "features". So that would be Styles, Audio, Multipad, Midi, Registrations, voices, Playlists, etc. Remember that the Genos (and Tyros) is not the same as a Motif synth - it requires a different type of folder structure.

And after that, yes you would use sub-folders. Here I would weigh the depth of the folder structure vs. how fast you need to access stuff.

Heidrun at Soundwonderland put together a really nice folder structure that I find makes good sense. If you head over to https://soundwonderland.de/pages/en/service/help/support-for-genos-players.php you will find some very informative tips. There is also a YouTube video that talks about how many USB sticks to use and where to use them, etc.

If you download the .zip file on that page - there are two very helpful documents included. Just make sure the Web page is set to English (top right corner) so you get the right version.

Hope that helps. Cheers, Roland

The following users thanked this post: JanCK

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:43:32 PM »
That is a very good point: Get organised before you start out!

I organise my set-up's slightly different: First I have folders for all the keyboard "modes" / "features". So that would be Styles, Audio, Multipad, Midi, Registrations, voices, Playlists, etc. Remember that the Genos (and Tyros) is not the same as a Motif synth - it requires a different type of folder structure.

And after that, yes you would use sub-folders. Here I would weigh the depth of the folder structure vs. how fast you need to access stuff.

Heidrun at Soundwonderland put together a really nice folder structure that I find makes good sense. If you head over to https://soundwonderland.de/pages/en/service/help/support-for-genos-players.php you will find some very informative tips. There is also a YouTube video that talks about how many USB sticks to use and where to use them, etc.

If you download the .zip file on that page - there are two very helpful documents included. Just make sure the Web page is set to English (top right corner) so you get the right version.

Hope that helps. Cheers, Roland

I understand why its wise to only use a single usb stick

But dont really see why you shouldnt use the internal storage

Roland

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:57:57 PM »
Remember the hard disk on the Tyros series? That's now basically all on the USB sticks - so there are no more movable components. The internal storage is great for things you currently work on - it's like your workbench. But all that later goes onto your USB stick. Just check the documents I had suggested, this entire process is described quite nicely there. :-)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 11:23:31 PM »
Hello friends! I organize in a similar way. It all went well untill I found out that I store things on too many USB sticks. I thought it was smart to have Mp3s on one, styles on another, and one each for T5 and PSR S975. I even have one for old styles and one for new. It all starts to mill around in my head, so I have to get it down to only two, one for songs and one for styles!
Files, files, files! Sometimes I am sure I mumble "copy" and "paste!" in my sleep :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 11:42:30 PM »
I organize my Genos folders as follows . . . i keep everything in one 64GB USB always plugged into Genos

One folder each for:
- REGISTRATIONS
- EXTERNAL MULTIPADS
- EXTERNAL STYLES 
- EXTERNAL VOICES
- MIDIS
- TEST (stuff I am working on but it is still unfinished)

On these folders i only place completely finished products.  (except for TEST).  For example, there are thousands of styles that you could use. . . but in my master USB I only keep the ones i already selected and they are being used in production so to speak. 

That works for me, i can locate things very quickly.  So far, no subfolders.   

You certainly can use the Genos internal storage or USB.

For me, the idea of using USB only is that in theory you can transfer everything to another Genos right away.  Just unplug the USB and plug it into another Genos, . . . .  plug and play.     For me, the USB has replaced the hard drive. 

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

The following users thanked this post: JanCK

Online EileenL

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 01:19:56 PM »
Hello Roland,
  You forget that the user section is 56Gb on Genos and takes the place of the hard drive on Tyros 5. Why would you want to keep putting USB sticks in and out when all can be stored here. Would be a waste to only use this as a work bench.
   I have all of the contents of my Tyros 5 hard drive saved to user and still have space left. I also saved all the content to a 64 Gb USB which sits under the keyboard as a back up. I can easily transfer fresh things from a second USB to my user or USB1 so all works well for me.

Bachus

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 04:48:58 PM »
Hello Roland,
  You forget that the user section is 56Gb on Genos and takes the place of the hard drive on Tyros 5. Why would you want to keep putting USB sticks in and out when all can be stored here. Would be a waste to only use this as a work bench.
   I have all of the contents of my Tyros 5 hard drive saved to user and still have space left. I also saved all the content to a 64 Gb USB which sits under the keyboard as a back up. I can easily transfer fresh things from a second USB to my user or USB1 so all works well for me.

Thats indeed what i wondered to..
Whats the reason of having build in storage if people only use USB sticks?

Roland

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
Hello Eileen,

Yes, 56Gb seems quite a bit. But with me, things pile up - and I don't usually delete them from internal memory until I really have to. But in the meantime, I back everything up to USB. This is pretty much my usual workflow on any keyboard. So in a sense, my internal storage is still my "workbench" despite the generous onboard storage or HD space I have available.

Another reason (in my case) for liking the USB method is because I do lots of work in Cubase. And transferring material between keys and Cubase is for me the most effective approach.

The "how many or how much USB" part is easily solved - and it's typically the first thing users do. But next comes "organising folders" which was the original question on here. I remember you had a very good folder structure too back on the Tyros'es :-)

Cheers, Roland

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 06:13:00 PM »
Whats the reason of having build in storage if people only use USB sticks?

Good question. I have 64GB stick permanently at the bottom USB, and use the onboard userarea as 'maindrive' and other USB sticks as temporary if/when needed.
USB connection also make 'Musicsoft Downloader' a good tool to transfer and move / edit files and folders from and to PC.
Filestructure is always a personal taste, but Heidrun's solution mentione above is a good start for those that don't have any much experience.  8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 01:19:45 AM »
Hello Roland,

Dear Eileen,

reading your post I realize I have always forgotten to mention one reason why i bought a Genos.  The user drive on Tyros 5 was far too small for me and  I could not build "my file tree" the way I wanted on the hard disk either though I had 4 partitions on the huge drive. It did not allow for enough levels.
With Genos it is great to never run out of space and be able to have as many levels in your file tree as you want to.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline valimaties

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 07:37:06 AM »
First time, when I have Genos, I used USB to play my custom styles and registrations.
But after a time I did what Eileen did, so I copied all the content I use from USB to User area and now my registrations load from user and also styles are in User area. (I've reassigned styles in registration to fit user path)
In the same time, I think load time of content it is a bit quickly from user than USB, and it is normal.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline metcam

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »
First time, when I have Genos, I used USB to play my custom styles and registrations.
But after a time I did what Eileen did, so I copied all the content I use from USB to User area and now my registrations load from user and also styles are in User area. (I've reassigned styles in registration to fit user path)
In the same time, I think load time of content it is a bit quickly from user than USB, and it is normal.

Regards,
Vali

Same here.

Regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Online EileenL

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
Hi Kaarlo,
  Hard Drives should never be partitioned to work correctly on Yamaha keyboards. They can give a lot of trouble Yamaha will tell you the same.
  All you need are folders for your main events and in these you place Sub Folders. This way you can find anything very quickly. I use the same system on my Genos User Section and it works a treat.
  The one thing I missed when I bought my 970 was a Hard Drive and hated the fact that I had to plug a  USB in to give a concert. Always worried I may loose it. Of course I had backups on my computer but that was no good if lost at a gig.