Author Topic: Tyros 5 modification to the MS05  (Read 3828 times)

spike

Tyros 5 modification to the MS05
« on: January 08, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »
Hi Everyone
For those who regularly gig with the Tyros 5 (and probably applicable to earlier models) you may, like me, find it a nuisance to keep connecting that ridiculous tiny 8-pin din plug at the back of the woofer. The pins are easily bent trying to locate it perhaps in dim light not to mention the Heath Robinson design of the cable loom.

To alleviate the suffering I have modified the rear of the woofer so that there is only audio-in and speaker-out sockets which use ordinary cables. I have kept the audio-in to 6.3mm jacks and the speaker-out to RCA phono. The original cable loom
is used however I always keep a spare loom anyway. The original set-up can be returned easily if necessary.

I did think of putting these sockets into the rear panel but the layout inside makes this impractical.

Parts required are;-
2 x RCA phono sockets (one white and one red)
2 x 6.3mm audio sockets (identified red and white)
1 x Project box ABS plastic 100 x 150 x 55
6 x Cable ties
1 x P clip
2 x 4mm screws, 8mm long
2 x RCA cables, male to male - length as required
2 x 6.3mm audio cables, male to male - length as required , identified white and red
Total cost under £10 plus cables

First cut holes in the base of the box to clear the master volume knob and the original connectors plus 2 x 4mm holes for the attachment screws. Drill the 12 x 3mm holes for the cable ties - see photos.

The original cable loom was then cut approx 6" from the rubber connector having identified with red or white tape the wires to the speaker and audio-out plugs - IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THIS IS DONE - YOU MUST NOT GET THEM MIXED UP (especially the audio-out 6.3mm plugs).

Drill the lid of the box with the appropriate holes to accommodate the sockets, insert the sockets and solder the cut wires to the appropriate socket. Secure those wires with the P clip screwed to the lid.

Drill 2 x 1/8" holes in the back plate of the woofer and tap with 4mm tap. Easier if you remove the plate first and you can also remove any swarf from the drilling.

Tip - grease the end of the drill and swarf should stick to it.

Scew the box to the backplate and Plug the 2 connectors into their sockets in the backplate, then coil the cable loom around the inner walls as shown in photo and secure with cable ties. The lid can now be fitted to the box.

Ensure the speaker sockets are identified white (left) and red (right).

If at any time you wish to revert to the original set-up just remove lid, unplug the 2 plugs and unscrew box.

Note -  I set the Master Volume at full before attaching lid and use the keyboard master volume.

The photos attached should illustrate the connections but if you have any questions just ask - the RCA connectors are to the speakers, the jack sockets from the audio out of the Tyros

Spike

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:50:21 AM by spike »

Offline Toril S

Re: Tyros 5 modification to the MS05
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 02:25:06 PM »
Do you gig with the speakers and woofer? Why not use a PA system like the Bose L1 compact? I agree about the contact with the pins. Not easy to connect without vision!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

spike

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 02:31:11 PM »
Hi Toril
For the smaller gigs in the care homes I use the woofer and the 2 satellite speakers connected as per this modification. Larger venues I use a Turbosound iP2000 column array system (1000W output) - similar to the Bose, controlled via Bluetooth from an iPad, from the audio out.
Cheers
Spike
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:33:48 PM by spike »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 02:34:56 PM »
Hello Spike! How do you place the satelites?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

spike

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 02:49:27 PM »
They are fitted on top of the Yamaha speaker stands about 10ft apart behind me with the woofer just by the keyboard . Although they are often sited according to the space available. If space is tight they are fitted to the keyboard. I have a spare set of satellite speakers which can be connected  to face me like a monitor.
Spike
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:00:29 PM by spike »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 02:55:01 PM »
Thanks Spike! The sound of this system is good, so maybe I should try gigging with it.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:20:50 PM »
Hi Everyone
For those who regularly gig with the Tyros 5 (and probably applicable to earlier models) you may, like me, find it a nuisance to keep connecting that ridiculous tiny 8-pin din plug at the back of the woofer. The pins are easily bent trying to locate it perhaps in dim light not to mention the Heath Robinson design of the cable loom.

To alleviate the suffering I have modified the rear of the woofer so that there is only audio-in and speaker-out sockets which use ordinary cables. I have kept the audio-in to 6.3mm jacks and the speaker-out to RCA phono. The original cable loom
is used however I always keep a spare loom anyway. The original set-up can be returned easily if necessary.

I also use that solution on gigs, but I have the 8 pins connector allways attached and made sure it doesn't fall off during transportation or handling. On bigger events, I use Bose1.

spike

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »
Hi Ingar,
yes I thought about having it like that but decided on this way as it meant I could have any length of speaker and audio in/out cables.
Thanks for your response
Cheers
Spike