Author Topic: Genos + Bose Pro 8 speakers  (Read 2227 times)

Genos + Bose Pro 8 speakers
« on: November 01, 2021, 08:55:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a very positive experience. For the past 9 years, I’ve been using two Bose Compact speakers for my shows. They’ve served me well but at nine years old, I decided to trade them in for some new speakers while the Compacts are still worth something. I opted for two Bose L1 Pro 8 speakers. I won't dive into the specs but they are a redesign of the Compacts and sound absolutely stellar.

One thing I learned from this is, the styles on the Genos are VERY full, which is a good thing. Virtually all the styles within my registrations have been pruned way back because while it's great that Yamaha packs a lot of background instruments into their styles, it does tend to clutter things up for live performances where you have a guitarist, an extra piano, and a singer. It's great the way Yamaha made these styles because obviously you can turn off the stuff you don’t need. I can't wait to try these new speakers out on a live show. I have one coming up on November 19. Canada is doing well with the vaccines, so I’m hoping more shows will start to appear in the new year.

As a side note, I tried to find a dealer in the Toronto area for Fishman speakers because I've heard pretty good things about them. I went on the Fishman site and sent a Contact Us note asking about dealers in the Toronto area. I never heard backs from them, so I guess Canadian customers and their money are of no interest to them.

Here is a link to the Bose Pro 8 speakers. They aren’t cheap but they sound amazing!

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/speakers/portable_pa_speakers/l1-pro8-portable-line-array-system.html#v=l1_pro8_black_us

- Lee

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 08:56:19 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Amxf5

Re: Genos + Bose Pro 8 speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 06:02:46 AM »
Lee,have you tried the LD systems
Maui speakers? They sound amazing at a considerable savings at Amazon...

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 12:48:06 PM »
Hi Amxz5,

Yes, I've heard the Maui speakers and the are very good too. For such a specialized purchase, I feel better going through a music store versus Amazon. For one thing, Amazon doesn't take trades. I'm not sure if they'd take them back after me putting them through their paces?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Mike2

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 09:33:57 PM »
Lee;  I have tried the Bose Compact, the Bose L1 Model 2 and even with the higher end, I can't understand not having stereo with Yamaha, especially the Genos. The Bose L1 Model 2 had great sound but doing gigs, no one new where the sound came from. I am glad you are enjoying your new speakers, but like Eileen mentioned to me a few years back, sound is very subjective. Enjoying your instrument and playing takes priority over opinions...right?

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 11:08:44 PM »
Lee
Congrats on your new Bose system . . . . the specs look great and you already tested . . . they must be really wonderfull sound .....

You mentioned that you traded-in your previous Bose Compact's . . . so, did you purchase at a local store and they took them in as a trade in . . . . . ?   can you talk about the differential in price after the trade ?

Just looking for info, maybe could do the same here in San Diego, CA.  since i have two Bose Compacts . . . .

thanks and enjoy your new sound system.   
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 12:24:52 AM »
Hi folks,

I'm glad to share the financial details but first, we must distinguish between the L1 Model 2 in mono and two Bose speakers of any kind.

Before I bought my two Compacts, I brought a single L1 Model 2 home to try with my Yamaha piano, It sounded absolutely horrible. I don’t think the L1 Model 2 or the L1 1S (one step down) are keyboard friendly speakers, especially in mono. I think those units are more for human voice reproduction in various size venues. They can amplify a piano but even in stereo, the sound is not good. The Pro 8 speakers are a whole new generation. Each one has a three channel mixer. I only have one at the moment because the second one is out of stock, but running the L and R Genos outputs to Channels 1 and 2 of a single Pro 8 sounds amazing! The stereo imaging is lacking of course but essentially, a regular patron wouldn’t really know the difference.

My second Pro 8 is due in tomorrow so I’ll have two of them, just like my Compacts. This new generation of line array speakers from Bose is a total redesign from their previous generation. They are a lot smoother and have lots of headroom at high levels, and yet they purr at low levels. A home player could use a pair but the price would be outrageous.

Speaking of price, for those non-Canadian members, we have a music store chain in Canada called “Long and McQuade.” I have bought a lot of gear from them. I trade in my old gear for their new gear, which saves me dealing with the “tire kickers.” I look after my gear very well and receive top dollar on trade. They are allowing me $800 trade for my two Bose L1 Compacts, which are nine years old. The Pro 8 model sell for $1,570, so my upgrade will cost me about $2,600 tax in. It's a fair chunk of change but my Compacts have served me well for nine years and I want to trade them while their still worth some money. My money figures are in Canadian dollars.

I looked at other makes like Fishman, HK Audio, and Maui. They are cheaper but so are their specs. None of them cover the same physical area as the Bose. Weight is another factor. Ironically, the generation of musicians that is most financially capable of buying this stuff can no longer lift heavy gear. For me, anything over 35 pounds is not on my list of prospects. I looked at the Maui speakers but to match the Pro 8 specs, I need to lift 60 pounds. Not for me.

So, there you have it. I’m looking forward to more gigs with the Pro 8 speakers. Our Covid and vaccines numbers are very encouraging. After we come through this winter, hopefully, there will be more chances to play out.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 02:27:24 PM by Lee Batchelor »

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 09:15:13 PM »
Lee;  I have tried the Bose Compact, the Bose L1 Model 2 and even with the higher end, I can't understand not having stereo with Yamaha, especially the Genos. The Bose L1 Model 2 had great sound but doing gigs, no one new where the sound came from. I am glad you are enjoying your new speakers, but like Eileen mentioned to me a few years back, sound is very subjective. Enjoying your instrument and playing takes priority over opinions...right?
Absolutely correct, Mike2 (and Eileen). I've heard some stellar players who use old Yamaha and Roland pianos held together with duck tape, are transported with no keyboard bags, and have seen more snow and rain than my driveway. These players make their keyboards talk, regardless of the old gear. By the same token, these same players sound even more amazing with good gear.

The extra high-quality gear really helps you get a professional sound. The one rule I've always lived by is, "If you sound terrible on stage, you won't play well."