Author Topic: playing a style from a usb on tyros 5 ok on Genos wontg work  (Read 5516 times)

Offline Musicman123

playing a style from a usb on tyros 5 ok on Genos wontg work
« on: January 06, 2019, 10:16:06 PM »
It hard to find a topic that says it for my problem wich is driving me mad ,   to explain I downloaded a style from the forum Mambo 5
I saved it into my Latin folder on the tyros and it works great , I now have the Genos and I went to my folder to play the song and it does not play , the name is there but it will only play the previous Reg and not the Mambo 5 .  and I cant seem to see where Im going wrong , Infact a couple of Styles wont work on the genos , can someone advise please ,

Stuart

Offline Fred Smith

Re: playing a style from a usb on tyros 5 ok on Genos wontg work
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
It hard to find a topic that says it for my problem wich is driving me mad ,   to explain I downloaded a style from the forum Mambo 5
I saved it into my Latin folder on the tyros and it works great , I now have the Genos and I went to my folder to play the song and it does not play , the name is there but it will only play the previous Reg and not the Mambo 5 .  and I cant seem to see where Im going wrong , Infact a couple of Styles wont work on the genos , can someone advise please ,

Stuart,

You make it difficult for us to help you.

You say you "downloaded a style", "play the song", and "previous reg". So you're talking about three different things: styles, songs and registrations. The problems for each of these are different, and the solutions are different. So you need to tell us which one you're having trouble with. And you need to say more than "won't work", as it doesn't help us pinpoint the problem.

As I did before, I'm betting the problem you have is the registration can't find the style. When a registration can't find its style, it simply leaves the currently loaded style in place ("previous reg" in your terminology).

To troubleshoot, the first thing you do is bypass the registration. Load the style manually. When you find the style on your own, you've solved the first part of the problem.

Next, load your registration. Does it load the style properly? If not, find the style manually, re-memorize your registration, and save it.

In the future, you will get the help you need a lot quicker when you properly distinguish between a style and a registration.

Cheers,
Fre
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:20:44 PM »
Yes as Fred says your message is confusing. I take it that you had made a registration Bank using the Mambo 5 style linked to it. As you say you have the style in a Latin style folder you will now need to re-link the style to  your registration and then save the registration again. Remember once saved do not move the style to a different place or the registration will not find it again.
  The best thing to do is save all your style folders to your User on Genos and then link styles from there.

The following users thanked this post: Musicman123

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
Hi Stuart. Perhaps I can help.

A registration is merely a set of pointers that configures the Genos in a certain way. A registration doesn't contain anything except a set of instructions for the Genos. It has no voices, no styles, no tempos...etc. These are set up for each song you want to play. You can play any song without setting up a registration, but doing so means you would need to set the Genos up for the same song starting from the beginning each time. A registration saves a ton of time. You can even have 10 different setups for the same song within one registration, hence, the ten buttons.

For example, when you save a Registration for the song, "Mary Had A Little Lamb," you would have selected items in the Registration Memory window such as: Voice, Multipad, Transpose, Foot Pedals, Style, and other parameters in the list. When you want to play a song that needs the Mambo 5 style, the style must either reside in the Genos list of styles or be imported to the User area via USB drive or stored on the Internal drive of the Genos. As Fred mentioned, it sounds like the Mambo 5 style has not been brought over from the Tyros 5. The Genos can't find it. To the Genos, it simply isn't there.

Here's an analogy. You go on a trip and check into a hotel (Genos). You want to wear your blue socks to dinner, but you left them at home (Tyros). You will have to wear different socks to dinner. To extend the analogy, you would grab the next best sock color - say brown. The Genos does the same thing. It sticks another style in when it can't find the Mambo 5 style. The same idea applies when there was a custom voice made on the Tyros 5 for that song. It too must be brought across and stored on the Genos. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:24:57 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 01:58:47 PM »
Great analogy Lee!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
A registration is like an accounting spreadsheet, it tells you where all the money is but you can’t spend it.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 05:29:30 PM »
I hope Musicman will let us know if he is still in trouble or needs anymore help.

Offline Musicman123

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:49:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for th help Fred Im sorry Ive confused you So I will try again , I downloded the style from the forum , I put it onto a usb
I then loaded the style into the Tyros 5 and then played the style remembering to press style button I then loaded up the 8 memory buttons with the sounds I wanted I then saved it all into a folder I had , and from then its worked great .
All the info from the Tyros 5 went onto the Genos and all sems well , but not the Mambo 5 , hope thats better info for you , I know Im missing something and will sort it I hope

Regards Stuart

Offline Musicman123

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 10:52:13 PM »
Thanks Ellien , I do get confused with all this but I will get there I will let you know how I get on ,

Stuart

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 10:53:57 PM »
You are not the only one, Stuart! Hang in there! :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »
Hello Stuart,
  The best thing is to load the Style onto your user memory. Now load in the registration you want to use.
Select the Mambo from your user and now resave the registration buttons on the bank with this style. Now resave the bank on your user. It will now work for you but remember never to move the style or the bank won't find it again.

Offline Musicman123

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 12:26:45 AM »
Hi Elline Its doing my head in trying to sort this problem , Im still confused as to the process , I managed to sort a couple out but not sure how I did it ? thats sounds silly but I will explain what I do step by step you might spot what Im doing wrong .
1 I load a style from the usb a style from the forum
2 I load it into the keyboard and the styl works as long as I dont touch the memory buttons if I di it reverts to the previouse music I played .
3 I then fill up my memory buttons
4 I then save it , and this is where I get stuck after saving it I try to copy it to one of my folders in user , but it wont move , I cant go to my folders where I want to paste it , as the move /paste button go dull and wont respond .
5 today I did the process with Hotel california , filled my memory buttons and saved it to the usb , I played it a couple of tim,es and it was great ,I then tryed to play a swing number from a folder but all I got was the Hotel California style no other style wouls work , so I switched off and on again and all was ok , except the Hotel California style I just made was different , ????????? so Im stuck for now . I did notice that on the top of the genos screen it said Hotel Clifornia , but the orange part of the screen when the preset styles show , the did not match .
Hope you undrstand all this I dont

Regards Stuart

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 12:38:00 AM »
Stuart,

Fred has created some very useful registration lessons.  It sounds like you could use some help understanding how registrations work.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Musicman123

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 12:54:48 AM »
Im sure your correct Joe  I cracked the tyros 5 no problem this should be easer , its just me I will check out Freds lessons thanks

Stuart

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 01:49:05 AM »
Hi Elline Its doing my head in trying to sort this problem , Im still confused as to the process , I managed to sort a couple out but not sure how I did it ? thats sounds silly but I will explain what I do step by step you might spot what Im doing wrong .
1 I load a style from the usb a style from the forum
2 I load it into the keyboard and the styl works as long as I dont touch the memory buttons if I di it reverts to the previouse music I played .
3 I then fill up my memory buttons
4 I then save it , and this is where I get stuck after saving it I try to copy it to one of my folders in user , but it wont move , I cant go to my folders where I want to paste it , as the move /paste button go dull and wont respond .
5 today I did the process with Hotel california , filled my memory buttons and saved it to the usb , I played it a couple of tim,es and it was great ,I then tryed to play a swing number from a folder but all I got was the Hotel California style no other style wouls work , so I switched off and on again and all was ok , except the Hotel California style I just made was different , ????????? so Im stuck for now . I did notice that on the top of the genos screen it said Hotel Clifornia , but the orange part of the screen when the preset styles show , the did not match .
Hope you undrstand all this I dont

Stuart,

From everything you've said in your post,  the Style group was not checked when you memorized the registration.

Here's what I've said to others:
When you press the Memory button, stop. Stop and take a breath. Now look at the screen, and make sure that (1) the groups you want memorized are checked, and (2) the groups you don't want memorized aren't checked. Once you're sure the right groups are checked, then press the appropriate registration button.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 03:25:48 PM »
It is as Fred says you must make sure you have a tick in style and Tempo  in your memory. Just press the Button marked memory and you will see what has been saved to work with your registration bank when loaded. It works just the same as it did on Tyros keyboards. The only difference is that you use the screen to set things up.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 09:58:10 PM »
Hello Stuart,
  The best thing is to load the Style onto your user memory. Now load in the registration you want to use.
Select the Mambo from your user and now resave the registration buttons on the bank with this style. Now resave the bank on your user. It will now work for you but remember never to move the style or the bank won't find it again.

Dear Musicman,   Eileen's advice will solve your problem.  After I had tweaked  a great number of styles  (taken by USB stick from Tyros)  to take advantage of the Genos sounds I made the mistake Eileen describes by moving the styles in my user style folder and exactly what Eileen describes happened. I could find the styles in my user styles folder much more  easily as they were now saved in the user style folder in a logical tree, but the registration of course could not find them.

Cheers

Kaarlo