Author Topic: Self test Genos  (Read 9663 times)

Bachus

Self test Genos
« on: January 06, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »

On korg keyboards there is a selftest which can be initiated by pushing 2 panelbuttons simultanously when switching the keyboard on..

It tests all hardware..

Is there such a test on Genos..
I am probably picking up a Used Genos this week..
So i want to be prepared..

Kaarlo von Freymann

Re: Self test Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 09:42:52 PM »
On korg keyboards there is a selftest which can be initiated by pushing 2 panelbuttons simultanously when switching the keyboard on..
.....Is there such a test on Genos..
I am probably picking up a Used Genos this week..
So i want to be prepared..

Hi Bachus,
I am not aware of a a "self-test", but there is the "player reset" and then there is a  "service reset" which actually helped me. It is not intended for consumers though. That reset is meant for service technicians and it checks everything, took up to 40 minutes on my Genos and of course you have to make a back up of all your settings. I have stored what you have to do, cannot find it right now and would not want to put it here as I got it from the importer for my personal use. But if you are interested, please send me a message  v.freymann@welho.com and  I will try to find it. But there actually is this very nice guy on this forum who is tops at giving valuable advice for difficult things and seems to either be a - or have excellent connection to a YAMAHA technician, maybe he will see your request.  If  my memory serves me right he calls himself zionip.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:26:10 PM »
This test is for qualified engineers to use as they know how to read it and is not recommended for general use as it serves no purpose at all. Yamaha certainly do not recommend it.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 11:40:53 PM »
My PSR-S900 has the same method to get into a 'test mode' as the Tyros4, so I suspect the GENOS may be the same, but the internal tests may differ. The service manual for the Tyros4 can be found at https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_tyros4_trs-ms04_sm.pdf/download.html

Some tests will check RAM and ROM. Others may check button and knob/control functions.

Test modes in other manufacturers keyboards can produce unwanted results which affect functionality. I don't know about Yamaha, so just be careful what test you might initiate.
As Eileen stated it is more for a test engineer or tech for troubleshooting, so use with caution.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:43:12 PM by MarkF_48 »

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Good luck in your Genos testing.

Thanks,
Paul

meriam

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 04:25:21 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Thanks,
Paul

Thanx Zionip
ill pass this info image, to the studio guys,so that they
can run a check on the suspected faulty master comp.
Meriam x

Bachus

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Thanks,
Paul

Thanks Paul, great find, exactly what i was looking for..

And about the keyboard i will test..
It only has a minor artificial dent at one corner..
Adbout 2 cm long and 1 cm wide and 0,5 cm deep..

If i run this test...
And make sure the bottom plate is straight and not bent, i sould be okay..
Also called yamaha, and the damage is not something that would void excisting warranty..
There is still 2,5 years of warranty left.. and only damage caused by the incident is not covered..

Even for me a price difference of €1000 with a new unit is really worth considering..
And when i am done with the small dent, noboddy will even notice it..

Really looking forward to the genos now...
But if i have any doubt, i will not buy..

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 05:25:33 PM »
Is the guarantee  with Yamaha its self as they only give one year in many places. The shop it was bought from will usually add the further time. Have you checked that they will extend it to you.

Bachus

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »
Is the guarantee  with Yamaha its self as they only give one year in many places. The shop it was bought from will usually add the further time. Have you checked that they will extend it to you.

Well, this is another one, when yamaha sells things in Holland, they have to live up to dutch customer protection laws... those laws say that customers are entitled warranty for  a reasonable periode... buying a € 4000 keyboard, its save to asume that one can expect the unit to work atleast 3 years fault free...

Strange thing, in dutch law its not the brand that needs to ensure the customer gets what he has paid for, but the resaler. 

Also the first 6 months, with a broken product thesalesman needs to proof you broke it..or he has to pay for the damage...  after 6 months, the customer needs to proof, he didn’t break the product..

When buying used goods, the new owner gets the same rights as the orriginal buyer...

Fun thing is, dutch law offers much better protection for customers the the (extended) warranty many brands offer.  However, claiming that protection is much harder and takes more effort from the customer then claiming official warranty..

Even apple gives 3 years warranty on phones in Holland.. but they have build in tools that allow them to proof a phone was dropped, or drowned in water...  but i have quite possitive experiences with claiming warranty from apple..  i don’t see why this would be different with Yamaha..

Bachus

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 12:44:06 PM »
Make note, this test works xtremely well.
It tests everyhing, memmory. Cpu audio out, stick screen, keys

I am now and xtremely happy Genos owner
“Driving home with Genos”

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS !!  Have fun.  :D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
Why not just get on and play with the Genos
You will know soon enough if something is wrong!! 8)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline valimaties

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 02:41:29 PM »
Why not just get on and play with the Genos
You will know soon enough if something is wrong!! 8)

Funny  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 06:52:48 PM »
Congratulations!!! So happy for you! Have fun!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline pjd

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »
Make note, this test works xtremely well.
It tests everyhing, memmory. Cpu audio out, stick screen, keys

Hi Bachus -- That's great news! Congrats! -- pj

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 02:24:06 AM »
Hi Bachus -- That's great news! Congrats! -- pj

HI Everyone,

I am also happy for many reasons:

- Being right when I posted  zionip will help Bachus, I would have been very disappointed if he had not. 
- Bachus is happy and will repair the small damage. With to-day's 2 component stuff that is not beyond a handy person.
- The service check helped me.
-  zionip's posting  will help others, it can be understood even by someone who is not a YAMAHA PROFESSIONAL tec.
- I do agree with Eileen that it is perhaps not for everyone,  kind of last resort but very useful.

Cheers

Kaarlo

beykock

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 05:04:54 AM »
Hi Bachus,

Congratulations with your Genos.👍

I am looking forward to reading your Genos first impressions and comments etc. very soon.

What makes you think a Genos is so much better than the Tyros5 (  your previous Yamaha arranger keyboard you have sold in the past, right ? ) and your Korg PA4X ( sold too ? ) ?

Thank you ! 😀

Babette
A happy Ty5/76 owner
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:16:47 AM by beykock »

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 10:56:47 AM »

Congratulations!  :D
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 12:34:08 PM »
Hi Babette,
  You can't really compare Genos with a Tyros 5 although a good keyboard. It is a whole different animal.
Have you actually played one.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »
I played a Genos at the store. Tes, it us good, but not a whole different animal in my opinion. When people post songs here I am hard pressed to hear any dufference between Tyros and Genos!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:00:13 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »
I played a Fenos at the store. Tes, it us good, but not a whole different animal in my opinion. When people post songs here I am hard pressed to hear any dufference between Tyros and Genos!

It is a different animal, no doubt.  8)
But, if users do as best as they can to transfer / import 'old settings and registrations' without take the time to edit or make the settings from scratch, it will mostly sound the same as before.
Genos has the legacy soundsets from former models as well as the new stuff. To make it sound 'You & Genos' when load earlier stuff, some work has to be done.
I don't import old settings, but use the opportunity to find onboard styles that fit songs before seek and load any other style from rest of the archive. Most stuff loads and play OK, but do not take full advantage of the new sounds and drumsets automaticly. (Even PSR9k styles play real nice, but don't sound as 'Genos'.)
Lot's of fun when take the challenge to experiment a bit, swap sounds and drumsets.  :D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Antonio

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »
Very happy.....

1000 thx

Bachus

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 05:20:16 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Congratulations with your Genos.👍

I am looking forward to reading your Genos first impressions and comments etc. very soon.

What makes you think a Genos is so much better than the Tyros5 (  your previous Yamaha arranger keyboard you have sold in the past, right ? ) and your Korg PA4X ( sold too ? ) ?

Thank you ! 😀

Babette
A happy Ty5/76 owner

Yes both keyboards where sold, Tyros 5 a little more then 2 years ago, because i was ready for a chnage and wanted to try out the pa4x.. and it was a great financial opportunity.. i could buy a pa4x for €2600 and sold my Tyros5 for €3200...

The change back to Yamaha and the Genos was because i really missed a lot of things from the tyros 5 that made it a great keyboard (performance memmories, ensemble voices, organ world,  sa2 voices, yamaha’s huge database of user styles) and because withrecent drop in price of genos and pa5x not yet released i could make a change to Genos financially attractive. Sold the Pa4x for €2300 and was lucky to get my hands on a Genos for €2800 (yes it has a deep scratch on a side, but you can only see it if you look for it.). .....  just do the math and you realise i made €100 by switching from tyros5 to Genos, and gotto experience the pa4x for 2 years to broaden my view..

Having the Genos at home for over 24 hours made me realise quite a few things..

First the obvious things i allready new..
-the new touchscreen interface and live controlls put this keyboard in a league of its own, its so intuitive
- the dsp power goes trough the roof, making it sound incredible
- the new sounds in the Genos, are truely a step higher then many of the old voices, love the kino strings, and finally there is an acceptable piano and much much more
- buildquallity feels improved..
I have allways liked most of the natural sounds on the yamaha better then the korg, but up till genos, korg had its nose in front for acoustic piano and b3 organ.. somehow the genos b3 sounds better then the T5. But that cou;d be just me, i have no firect comparisson..

But i also noted some other things
- korg styles are much more generic in nature and much less aimed at specific songs.. when playing onboard yamaha styles, you can most of the time(even witouth intro) hear what song it wants you to play. (So if anyone has a good place for more generic yamaha styles, please link me)
- the keyboardsets (group of 4 psnel voices) that on korg where saved as specific items where a great thing, as they came with 100’s of them.. on yamaha, you first need to save them in perf memmories...
Same result in the end, but you need to do all the work yourself..
- the assignable buttons are great.. but allready missing some options
- as expected synth sounds is not Genos strong point, knew this, and aim using ipad for those..

All in all, playing the Genos feels like comming home, i try to enjoy all the possitives, and think i can use the ipad to add most things i miss in it... 

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
Bachus,
you have probably already been there, if not, don't forget to visit :https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

In addition to all the Audiostyles there are 138 T5 styles ready for your Genos.  8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Bachus

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »
Bachus,
you have probably already been there, if not, don't forget to visit :https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

In addition to all the Audiostyles there are 138 T5 styles ready for your Genos.  8)

I didn’t have to, thats about what the previous owner left for me in the user area of the local drive

beykock

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 08:19:33 PM »
Thank you so much, Bachus, for your first Genos impressions.👌
I will follow all your future comments.
They are very important to me.

As Eileen mentioned before the Genos seems to be a different " animal ".

No, I have not touched one Genos key yet but I saw one in a local music shop a couple of weeks ago.

I was rather surprised the Genos looks so different than the Tyros. But the Genos is brand new and is not a Tyros.

I am told the Genos' sound is great and many members of this forum confirmed the new features are impressive.

I must admit I like my Tyros5 so much I cannot let it go and hope to keep it for many years to come. Cross my fingers !

From 2002 until today I owned the complete Tyros family ( T1, T2, T3, T4 and last but not least the T5/76 ).

For me the entire Tyros serie is a very pleasant and interesting musical experience.

The T5 is a very reliable and a nice instrument, IMHO.
I love the sound, the colour and the model.
A great musical instrument for my personal home applications. A real Yamaha legend. 👍

There is no doubt in my mind the Genos is a super arranger keyboard.
But again ... I do not want to loose my loyal friend, called Tyros5.

For the time being I am financially obliged to sell my T5 if I would decide to order a Genos.
I want to keep my Tyros5 as long as possible.
Have absolutely no intention to shoot a winning horse. 😸

Babette

Offline Toril S

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 09:09:17 PM »
Same here Babette. I just got my Tyros 5 and love it!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 10:04:22 PM »
But i thing Gunnar Jonny has a good point. When we play the new keyboards with our old, beloved styles, and it the same way as we always played our old keyboards, the Genos or any other new keyboard will sound more or less like our old keyboard. When I tried the Genos in the store I played the new styles, but just a few, and I didn't try out all the new features. So I guess it is a different animal after all.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 01:03:37 AM »
...... good, but not a whole different animal in my opinion. When people post songs here I am hard pressed to hear any difference between Tyros and Genos!

Hi Toril,
I very much agree with you. But advarsel that does not make you popular.  You will probably be told even people in a noisy dance hall come to tell the performer how much better his new keyboard sounds. Maybe even that your hearing is impaired.
We are all humans and we like to believe what we want to believe, especially when we spent a lot of money.

You will be familiar with the strange effect that when you take your car to one of those professional  "fixers" that car dealers take an old car to to make it look new it becomes an other animal
I do that every spring with my soon 20 year old Range Rover and my  soon 30 (!) year old Mercedes 300. After that they do not only look brand new,   I have the definite feeling they are less noisy and the ride feels smoother and they accelerate better after I spent 300 €. ( I cannot measure the acceleration, but I do have a professional dB meter and it shows the noise level is exactly what it was). 

I made digital recordings in my studio of the same tune on my Tyros 5 and my Genos.  I could not hear any difference but I ran into heavy flak.  Some said I cheated, some said I played the wrong type of music, some said you can only hear the difference when you are performing live. Some even called me a clown. If I remember correctly only Abby Pianoman said he could not hear any difference either.

That said, why did I buy a Genos ?  Because Genos is smaller and lighter and has some improvements like the sliders and knobs. Others may have other reasons like the fixed touch screen while I prefer the tiltable  former screen. Some contrary to me think black is beautiful.  Some said "I always want the latest".  You cannot argue with that.

oppriktige hilsener fra Helsingfors

Kaarlo

beykock

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 07:51:23 AM »
Hi Kaarlo,

IMHO an audience is not interested in a brand name of the player's arranger keyboard. Only players are, I guess.

People want to hear and see a good player, a good singer, a great performer, an artist and the music and sound they like.
They are looking for entertainment and fun.😉

Babette
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:02:06 AM by beykock »