Author Topic: Vocal settings to mute own voice  (Read 2907 times)

Vocal settings to mute own voice
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »
Hi all, here's a question for you technical guys. I've just got hold of a cheapo microphone and starting to play with the vocal capabilities of the Tyros 5 for home use (poor wife!). Now I have a voice like an out of tune, asthmatic camel, so not that pleasant. I have been looking to see if I can set the mic up to record the accompliment voices only without my own voice, but i've not been successful so far. Now before I continue further I wanted to check if this is at all possible? If so, any pointers would be welcome, if not, the next research is to see if I can dampen my voice to make the accompliment more prominent, so any pointers in that direction would be nice.

Thanks all

Steve     
Retired IT

Offline PierreSW

Re: Vocal settings to mute own voice
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
Hi!
Try this youtube.

In Tyros: look into VH there is a knob to adjust between the voice and VH and also one to the correct the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmgVG4hDbsQ&t=8s

// Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 06:35:50 PM »
That sounds good Pierre, thank you :)

Steve

Retired IT

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 07:29:16 PM »
That video is SOOOO miss leading.

Because what is going on really is the guy is playing a very slow tune. He only SAYS the word as he plays the note. Nobody performing has the piano player hitting the note they are singing, except at church. In church the organ player drowns out the choir generally anyway. ;D

What the heck are you going to do for a fast tune to stay in tune?

The part of your question of just hearing the BACKUP harmony without your voice, forget that idea with the VH2 on Yamaha keyboards, it will always sound like a ROBOT with breakups in it to boot.

You have to sing in key with the VH2 and that ability just takes practice.

Maybe a newer Harmonizer the pros use can help you out, I don't know. But I was watching the Rose Bowl Parade on New Year Day and the opening act was a singer named, Chaka Khan. The first part of her song, the Vocal Correction wasn't ON and it was a total JOKE. My wife even commented. "who told her she could sing."

When the KTLA tv showed the replay of the parade, guess what? They CUT OUT that first part of her singing so badly.  ;)

Just pointing out there is equipment that can assist you, I just don't know what it is or how much it will set you back.

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:31:29 PM by DrakeM »

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
Thanks Drake, its good to know that it's not feasible to try recording the backing only, it's not a big problem as the Tyros is only for my own pleasure and wife's woes!! lol, so I wont spend too much time fiddling about to try and find the impossible.

Thanks for the help chaps

Steve
Retired IT