Author Topic: DAW MIDI Initial Send on start - is this possible?  (Read 2749 times)

grussell

DAW MIDI Initial Send on start - is this possible?
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:02:45 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to steamline my workflow when it comes to recording a style based performance from the Genos to my DAW (Cubasis on iPad).

When using the Genos internal MIDI recorder it starts the recording with the parameters and controls for each channel, so on playback everything sounds similar.

However, when recording directly to the DAW the control messages are not sent (unless the voices are changed).

I notice on some Yamaha devices they provide a button which sends out the channel configuration via MIDI.

So I'm trying to find out if I can send the Genos a MIDI control-message which causes it to output the MIDI channel config?

The research I've done suggests that sending a "GM System on" or "XG System on" message will initialise the Genos causing it to re-output the parameters but I've not got it working. I've also read about initSend functions.

My hope is I will have a MIDI track which has the appropriate control-message so when I start recording the DAW automatically sends this message, then Genos will respond which will be recorded into the tracks, and any subsequent playing will sound correct on playback?

Any suggestions or places I can read more?

Cheers,

Gavin.

Re: DAW MIDI Initial Send on start - is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:11:53 PM »
Hi Gavin,

I believe you're referring to similar software that Yamaha offered for the Motif series. I forget the name, but the software would "set up" the Motif for instant recording from any DAW. Yamaha gave that software away to anyone who wanted it. They have not seen fit to extend the same courtesy to Genos owners. Yamaha thinks we all sit in our living rooms and play live. Some of us desperately want to record our performances through a DAW, but it's almost impossible, except to a very few selected and gifted owners.

I know of no one on this forum who has built such a configuration piece of software. So far, only a few have learned how to record the Genos into a DAW. Most of us record the Genos with the on board MIDI recorder, and then import the saved MIDI file to a DAW. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:27:37 AM »
No it is not impossible.

here is a link to a post on the Cakewalk forum by Igiwigi, who is a member of PSR Tutorial as well I believe. Check it out and PM him for help. I don't use a daw (at least not yet).

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Keyboard-Sonar-Platinum-Integration-m3749793.aspx

BTW Cakewalk by Bandlab is totally free. I have it but I have not started using it yet.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:33:51 AM by RichardL »

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:28:35 AM »
No it is not impossible.

here is a link to a post on the Cakewalk forum by Igiwigi, who is a member of PSR Tutorial as well I believe. Check it out and PM him for help. I don't use a daw (at least not yet).
It's strange that John has not mentioned this INS file for Cubase, unless I missed something here. It would be great if there was a way that we could open Cubase with the Genos powered up and start recording EVERYTHING into Cubase without having to assign LSB, MSB, and Program numbers :). Perhaps I need to stand corrected? Where is this INS file??? Can someone write out the procedure so that even the novice user can understand how to record the Genos directly into Cubase? It would be a first!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 07:38:10 AM »
Hi Lee,

Here's the INS file. I use it with PSRUTI and it will work with Cakewalk. Not sure about Cubase but, if Cubase uses INS files then it should work.

Note: I have changed the file extension to .txt because I cannot use .ins here. After downloading the file change the extension to .ins

Regards,
Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »
Thanks Richard! I shall give it a try in Cubase :).