Author Topic: From S970 to S975 - my reaction  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Toril S

From S970 to S975 - my reaction
« on: January 04, 2019, 10:20:57 PM »
Hello friends. It is now 4 months since I had my S970, but i remember it fairly well. When it broke I got an S975 to replace it.
Here is my reaction to the 975 when I first enboxed it and set it up.
I said: Hey, there is my old keyboard, only what have they done to the beautiful finish??  I liked that gray metallic finish of the 970, and dislike the matt black of the S975, but that is my personal taste. When I turned it on I got a pleasent surprise, the speakers are more balanced. Another thing that I think is good is that when you start the styles for the first time the volume comes on gradually. More gentle on the amp. It is also nice that the keyboard shuts of the speakers when I connect the Bose, I didn't have to use the 3.5 jack. When I play it, it feels and behaves just like my S970. I like the light keybed, maybe because I have played a lot more accordion than piano in my time. I do not like that they have moved Latin and Ballroom into one category, but it is to make room for the + button. The plus styles are not my cup of tea at all, but others might love them. Do I feel that I have upgraded to a higher keyboard? Nope, sorry! To me it is an S970, with slightly better speakers. I am not a power user, so I can't go into all features, but I reckon most of them are just like on the S970. I believe they put some work into balancing the sounds on the 975, and it has a larger memory, room for more expansion packs. Both S970 and S975 are great keyboards! Thats my reactions :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, hans1966, alanclare

Offline hans1966

Re: From S970 to S975 - my reaction
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 02:44:44 AM »
Hello Toril, I agree with you that the matt black finish was not the most successful by the Yamaha team in the S975 / S775 series. I have the disadvantage with my S775, that the marks of saliba are too noticeable when I finish singing either at masses or parties, on the other hand the dust becomes more evident with the color black. we hope that the next SXXX replacement will return to the gray color, or go to the silver one. Greetings. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »
Don't forget that Genos has a really nice matt black finish which dose not mark that easily. I have had mine for a year and it gets plenty of use and still looks like new. The next models out may be the same.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
The Genos has a smoother finish, so I guess it will not attract so much dirt. I love the silver metallic finish, but black is stylish and goes well with orher gear.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 02:43:53 PM »
 Hello Eileenl, thanks for the information about the finishing of GENOS, I have not had the opportunity to have one near and be able to prove it. In my country this type of keyboard is not very commercial, due to its high price. Returning to the subject of finishing, I hope that the next Psrxxx models, come equipped with an antifluid paint, and that it can be easily cleaned. in my S775 I use a lens cleaning cloth, for the screen, and another microfiber cloth to clean the panel, the buttons and the keyboard. greetings Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline voodoo

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 11:25:17 AM »
Hi Toril,

thank you very much for the nice report on the S970 vs. S975.

I agree to you. The S970 is a very nice keyboard. After upgrading to Genos, I am missing the S970 a little bit for several reasons: small form factor, very good built in speakers, direct access to voice an style groups via hardware buttons, etc.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 11:34:39 AM »
Yes Uli. I bought a used Tyros 5, so I could afford to keep my PSR.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:13:26 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.