Author Topic: Are you from in and around Brighton UK?  (Read 7278 times)

Murat

Are you from in and around Brighton UK?
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:05:31 PM »
Good morning all,

I have just created a group on Facebook for Genos owners who lives in and around Brighton. I always do appreciate this group and other similar groups and forums but the reason why I created the Yamaha Genos Brighton group is for those who owns a Yamaha Genos to be able to meet in person to discuss, help and share.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/507810136377461/

If you live in and around Brighton and own a Genos please add yourself.

Many thanks,

Murat

beykock

Re: Are you from in and around Brighton UK?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »
Why regional members only ?
Why Genos owners only ?
Another Forum again ?

Strange ...😝

Babette

Murat

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
Hello Babette,
All good questions, I tried to explain this on the goups description and above. The group is for Genos owners to meet in person, this is the only real difference. It is all good becoming a member of the forums and other online groups however I do believe it will be beneficial for local Yamaha Genos owners to be able to meet up sometimes. No one can deny the fact that the Genos is a very powerful and a complex musical instrument, and no one knows it all so we can all benefit from a helping hand or two, and it is better in person sometimes.

beykock

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 01:30:12 PM »
I see ... but do you believe it will successful ?

Today people do not need to travel to share ideas, ask questions and/or discuss problems etc. Internet, right ?

The PSR Tutorial Forum offers all Genos players need.

I wish you good luck !

Babette

Murat

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »
Thanks Babette.

Will it be successful? Probably not, but I think it's worth the try. I really think it would be really nice to create a group of people to meet in real life for the purpose of exchaging ideas etc for the Genos

I totally agree with you and very well aware of the online world and how easy it is to gather information.

I also agree with you that the PSR Tutorial forum is the best there is for the Genos.

All the best.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »
Some shops do run this type of meeting where you can meet up and even play if you want to.
Why not set up a little Genos club where you meet up each month. Much better than Facebook.

Murat

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 03:22:53 PM »
Hello Eileen, thank you for the suggestion which I think is an excellent idea. But how can I find these people who owns a Genos and who are happy to come and meet in a music shop or as a club? I was hoping to find / attract Genos owners in the facebook group and hopefully create clubs to arrange meetings?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 03:26:28 PM »
I would start by enquiring in your local shop. They will know some people who have bought in the aria

Murat

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:43:02 PM »
Thanks Eileen, I have emailed my local music shop in Brighton. Lets see what they say.

Offline sooty8

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 04:02:20 PM »
Hi Murat

You may have a keyboard music club near where you live the local music shop should be aware of your nearest club. I have one about a 5 minute walk away which is handy, the second one is about a 15 minute drive away.
One month they have get to gathers , where they sell their surplus music the proceeds go to run the club, they have all different keyboard types and skills. The club has two keyboards to play on refreshments are provided. The following month they have a professional  keyboard player entertaining the members.
Hope you have luck with your quest, there are many keyboard players who like to be shown how something is done rather than read from a manual.

Regards

Steve

Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline Bud2

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 04:07:58 PM »
This is why we setup our meetings, firstly in a hotel in Blackpool and people came from around the country, we met twice a year then we moved to a Hotel in Skegness and we have been there for 8 years now, our meeting in May will be the start of our 9th year. We entertain ourselves in the evenings over the weekend Friday to Monday and have lots of fun as well as learning about our Yamaha instruments. When we first started I used to do tuition classes about things people wanted to know about the Tyros which was fairly new then. Sadly our numbers have dropped now due to members passing on. Eileen was one of our founder members. Therefore I hope you do have success with getting your group together.
Bill

Murat

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 04:10:55 PM »
Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion, I have started searching a keyboard club near me! Although this might not be only for the Genos there's got to be other Yamaha players (maybe Tyros) in these clubs. Nevertheless, it will be great to listen to others play and perhaps learn some tricks from them. Cheers.
Hi Bill, that sounds great. Where can I get details on the meetings, maybe I can come along? Thanks.

Offline andyg

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »
There are plenty of Genos and Tyros owners in the Brighton area - I teach some of them. Obviously I can't give names and details!

Not sure if a Brighton dealer would have sold that many of them, I think you'd have to look to Bonners in Eastbourne to find your nearest major Yamaha keyboard dealer. They do have a noticeboard in the store on which you could ask them to put an 'advert' for such a group.

There is nothing to beat a get-together of like-minded people, much better than any forum in many respects. You can go back to the 1960s when home organ owners would do this, often meeting up in each others' houses for a cuppa (or a beer), a play and a chat and exchange of ideas.

Good luck in getting it going!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 07:37:01 PM »
I do not want to appear to be a 'Party Pooper' but I suspect you may struggle to get the new club off the ground.   It's an admirable objective but many established clubs in the UK are struggling to keep going due to declining memberships.

Good luck with the venture.  I wish you well and do hope you can buck the trend.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:38:17 PM by Leading Edge »

Murat

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 07:41:25 PM »
Hello Andy, thanks for the suggestion.

I think I will be going to Bonners in Eastbourne on the 14th Jan and I can ask them about it. They might come up with something we haven't thought of.

My local music shop has responded to my email saying they can't help.

I really like how you put it "get-together of like-minded people", that's exactly what I think.

As 'Leading Edge' stated it might be a difficult thing to do but I will not loose anything by trying but might gain a few good friends in the process.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 08:05:26 PM »
Oh, I really, really wish that I could go to such a club!!! Nothing like that here.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Murat

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 09:16:44 AM »
Thanks Bill  :)

Offline HamzaA3000

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »
Good idea. There is an existing UK Yamaha club not sure which area exactly and they have a monthly magazine.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 12:34:50 PM »
The Yamaha Club magazine is bio monthly and is run by Glyn Madden in the UK. If you do a search you will find it.