Author Topic: Hands-free multipad on/off  (Read 9460 times)

ryeager

Hands-free multipad on/off
« on: January 02, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
I've found that I cannot save the on/off state of multipads via registration buttons.  Not the multipad voices, but the on/off state of multipad buttons.

Is there a way on Genos to turn multipads on/off hands-free?

Offline Al Ram

Re: Hands-free multipad on/off
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
I use registrations.  I create the registrations to turn the multipads on and then there is a 'stop' multipad that if needed can turn the multipad off (with another registration).

For example, lets say that in R1 i do not store any multipad.  I store one multipad in R2, play that multipad in R2 and R3 and then store the "stop" multipad in R4.   So, the multipad will only turn on for R2 and R3 and then off for R4.

If you use a pedal the registrations can be hands free. 

Hope this helps.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »
I've found that I cannot save the on/off state of multipads via registration buttons.  Not the multipad voices, but the on/off state of multipad buttons.

Is there a way on Genos to turn multipads on/off hands-free?

Read my article:    http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

It will explain how to do it with example registration files.  And the Pad Stopper file is included.

The article focuses on dance music but the technique is the same for all genre of music. My article also explains how to create custom Multi Pads.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:26:25 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

ryeager

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 09:35:56 PM »
I use registrations.  I create the registrations to turn the multipads on and then there is a 'stop' multipad that if needed can turn the multipad off (with another registration).

For example, lets say that in R1 i do not store any multipad.  I store one multipad in R2, play that multipad in R2 and R3 and then store the "stop" multipad in R4.   So, the multipad will only turn on for R2 and R3 and then off for R4.

If you use a pedal the registrations can be hands free. 

Hope this helps.

Hmm, that's the way I was trying to do it but it wasn't working for me.

Will try again and see, maybe I didn't have a certain checkbox checked when saving the registrations.

Thanks!

ryeager

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 09:40:07 PM »
Read my article:    http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

It will explain how to do it with example registration files.  And the Pad Stopper file is included.

The article focuses on dance music but the technique is the same for all genre of music. My article also explains how to create custom Multi Pads.

Joe H

Awesome article, thanks Joe!!

Offline elad770

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 02:33:41 AM »
Dear Joe,
I downloaded your PAD stopper and it's amazing creative
Thinking on your part but I must say: Yamaha should and must be aware that people are using tricks in order to bypass bugs that can be easily fixed. You or any other member should not waste time fixing things for yamaha, especially when we are dealing with an expensive, flagship keyboard.  Also, needless to say that while your solution works perfectly it's still occupying 1 multipad that I could have been using.  :D :
Come on Yamaha

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 07:28:54 PM »
elad770,

The way the Multi Pads work is NOT a bug.  I had a conversation with Yamaha Tech Support years ago about how the Multi Pad buttons work.  I suggested they should work differently, but the response was... sorry it's not how you think they should work, how they work; is how they work. (get used to it)

I didn't create the original Pad Stopper file, someone else did... I just made a "new improved" version of the Pad Stopper based on my knowledge of how the Multi Pad file is structured.  Basically, there is a single note that plays silently one time and then the Pad stops. Yes, it works very well when used in registrations, but takes a bit of time to setup.  Registrations are the center-piece of the arranger design and a very powerful feature that can be used many ways for different purposes besides arranging a piece of music.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline elad770

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 10:01:00 PM »
Did they (yamaha) shared with you the logic of why it won't stop when you clearly dont want it.
I really dont want to argue and you are way more knowledgeable than I am but logic dictates that it is a bug.
You see, when style isn't playing and I go from one registration to another the multipads turn on and off in respect to what I registered. It works perfectly.  When the style is playing once triggered the multipad will not turn off. When you have a regression in a song and you want it off, and you register it to be off, it should be off. I simply cant differentiate why it would work for scenario 1 and not scenario  2

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 12:30:35 AM »
I think Yamaha never figured out how to make it work the way you want it to.  Other users may not want it to work as you would like.  It's not a bug, but I think they could have added a 'Stop Sync' that works with registrations, but then again how would you start a new Multi Pad. 

I think the Pad Stopper is the solution. The method I devised allows the user to program the Multi Pads any way they want... start some new Pads, stop other Pads, and leave some Pads playing with the next registration.  It's one of those "workarounds" we have to live with.

Joe H

Offline elad770

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »
I have to be Honest, i still didn't figure out how the Pad stopper works. Would you be kind enough to make a short video?
I would highly appreciate it

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
I have to be Honest, i still didn't figure out how the Pad stopper works. Would you be kind enough to make a short video?
I would highly appreciate it

Suppose you have Pad1 running. You switch registrations. This registration loads a new multipad. Now Pad1 of the newly loaded mp will run. After it runs (and it's not set to repeat), it stops.

That's the concept behind Padstopper.

You have Pad1 running. You load a new registration which has Padstopper as the Multipad. Its Pad1 will run doing nothing, then stops. Voila, your new registration has stopped a previously running multipad.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline elad770

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 01:03:28 AM »
Haha! You should have seen my reaction upon reading your explanation.  It was something like: "Ah.................
Now I got it" LOL
I thought the I'm suppose to assign you single Pad stopper to the MultiPad that I'm using via Copy Paste.  Now I got it, I simply change multipads via registration. I dont know why my brain was telling me that I must assign the same multipad to all the registration.
Now when i think about it, theres some complexity to it:
What if i dont want all the multi pad (4 spots) on or off?
I understand that assigning you pad stopper to a registration will do the job. What if I need Two out of the Four off and resumed again, I need to create a new multipad and assign the stopper the 2 of the buttons. To sum it up: if I have three variances in the multipad during the song I will have to create 3 different multipads.  Did I get this right?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:05:10 AM by elad770 »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 01:32:46 AM »
I understand that assigning you pad stopper to a registration will do the job. What if I need Two out of the Four off and resumed again, I need to create a new multipad and assign the stopper the 2 of the buttons. To sum it up: if I have three variances in the multipad during the song I will have to create 3 different multipads.  Did I get this right?

You got it right.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

khudson7

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »
elad770,

The way the Multi Pads work is NOT a bug.  I had a conversation with Yamaha Tech Support years ago about how the Multi Pad buttons work.  I suggested they should work differently, but the response was... sorry it's not how you think they should work, how they work; is how they work. (get used to it)

I was having the same problem that elad770 was having, so thanks a lot Joe for this very inventive work around. 

I tend to agree with elad770, this could have been handled easier in the way it is programmed. Maybe not call it a bug, but a feature. ;) ::)

Anyway, your way does work very well, albeit a more time consuming work around.  For me, I will call multipads inability to stop....a kludge!    :-[
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:59:14 PM by khudson7 »