Author Topic: Key Change for MP3 - CDG osngs  (Read 2657 times)

Mike2

Key Change for MP3 - CDG osngs
« on: January 02, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »
I don't know how many of you use these files with your Genos, but I have quite a few. The only problem is when I use the Key Changer up or down, the song drags a little, and is not as clear. Now if I play those same songs and use the key change on my computer, using the karaoke program Kara-Fun, it doesn't do that. Just wondering if anyone experienced this. The key changer is good.

Offline pjd

Re: Key Change for MP3 - CDG osngs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 02:51:52 PM »
Hi Mike --

Transposing MP3 audio up or down depends on pitch-shifting software (algorithms). Some algorithms are better than others. Some algorithms are real time (pitch-shifting on the fly while playing). Other algorithms pre-compute the final digital audio (non-real time), taking more time to do the job and thus producing a higher quality result.

I've had mixed results with Yamaha's algorithm(s) depending upon the source audio file. Sometimes the quality is good and doesn't have too many audible artifacts. In a few cases, quality was horrible.

In any case and any vendor, pitch-shifting beyond a few semitones is fraught with sonic peril. Hate to say it, but that's the state of the art.

All the best -- pj

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »
Mike,

Try using Audacity for your MP3 Key changes. It's free and works good.
www.audacityteam.org/download/

Rick D.

Mike2

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
Thanks PJD...that makes sense...first time I find the reason explained. Like I said, it's not a big issue, for I don't use karaoke that often anymore. But, just key changing down 1, the quality is not good. I use KaraFun program, on my PC it's free. and the key changer works well, 1 up or down. As far as using audacity, having the lyrics in front of you while you sing, is the main reason for it in the first place.

Thanks to both of you for your input..
Mike..

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 03:53:09 PM »
Hi Mike --

Glad to help!

WRT Audacity, I'm not sure about preserving the lyrics. MP3 lyrics and so forth is an area that I'd like to explore more. Wish there was a way to split off the metainformation with the lyrics, transpose the MP3 digital audio, then reunite the audio and lyrics.

Wish I knew more about this...

All the best -- pj

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:43:54 AM »
With CDG songs the lyrics file is separate from the MP3 file so it should not matter if you shift pitch in the MP3 file.

Richard