Author Topic: Most usefull packs  (Read 18108 times)

Bachus

Most usefull packs
« on: December 30, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
If you had to choose 2 packs with a brand new Genos..
Which 2 would add most for you? 
(And why)

Pino

Re: Most usefull packs
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 01:00:54 AM »
🔻
Good question Bachus

I often wandered if there was a list somewhere of the most popular pack.

‘Church & Christmas’ is mentioned a lot so maybe that is the most popular,

Pino
🔻

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 03:31:00 AM »
I think it is just a matter of personal preference and personal tastes in music.  That's like asking what's your favorite food!

:)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »
The sound from SA2 Pan flute expansion is far better than the native pan flute sound for me.

Bachus

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »
I think it is just a matter of personal preference and personal tastes in music.  That's like asking what's your favorite food!

:)

Joe H

Thats why i asked the why? Question. Which gives a lot more insight to the answer.

So the sa2 pan flutes seem worth it..
No clue why people like the church and christmass one

Could be a season thing, but also a religious one

Wouter1972

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »
The premium panflutes (Zamfir, James Last etc)  as well as the premium female voices (i.e. Once upon a time in the West) are really nice. Since I purchased them I exchange them in my most of my registrations.

As far as a complete package, I really like the Synth Package because of the ‘80s sounds. Big 80s fan. :D

Wouter

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »
The Church Organ pack is very good. Even though it's marketed for the PSR-S series, it loads into YEM so will work with Tyros and Genos.
Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
The Church Organ pack is very good. Even though it's marketed for the PSR-S series, it loads into YEM so will work with Tyros and Genos.

+1

The Church Organ pack offers more variety including "plainer" organ registrations from which layers can be built. The Genos (and T5) factory pipe organs are good, but the registrations are too thick for congregational singing (AKA hymn playing). I definitely use this pack a lot; the other packs, not so much.

All the best for the new year -- pj

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 10:20:52 AM »
A lot of CMS Sounddesign sounds are very very good and free.

http://www.cms-sounddesign.de/page101.html

here are for me the best :
- Symstrings 1 & 2
- Trp Sect (from the last christmas gift)
- Horn Sect (from the last christmas gift)
-Trom Sect (from the last christmas gift)
- Solo Violin (from the last christmas gift)
- Violins 1 (from the last christmas gift)
- Violas (from the last christmas gift)
- Cellos (from the last christmas gift)
- Orch Choir (from the last christmas gift)
- Orch Pizz (from the last christmas gift)
- Celesta (from the last christmas gift)
- Tub Bells (from the last christmas gift)

Last christmas gift page : http://www.cms-sounddesign.de/page154.html

The following users thanked this post: valder

Offline acparker

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »

Umm, unless I'm missing something, no it doesn't.  Not on the Genos.  When I tried it, the voices wouldn't load.  The rhythms, registrations and the midi would load, but not the voices.

Adam

Offline acparker

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 01:47:26 PM »

Umm, unless I'm missing something, no it doesn't.  Not on the Genos.  When I tried it, the voices wouldn't load.  The rhythms, registrations and the midi would load, but not the voices.

Adam

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 06:40:03 PM »

Adam

Hi Adam --

I have the full Church Organ pack running on Genos. I remember importing the S970 pack into YEM, generating a PPI file, and then installing the PPI file on Genos. Perhaps the S970 pack must be targeted for Genos by producing a Genos PPI?

When you say "the voices wouldn't load," what did you experience? Seems like we ought to be able to get you running...

All the best -- pj

Offline acparker

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 01:10:44 AM »
Thanks in advance for your help, pjd.

I think I figured out the problem.  The pack I have is for an older Psr keyboard that I had ... the S670.  I'm willing to bet that it's to old to be compatible.

Anyway, what happens is, when I load it into the YEM, all the Instrument selections have a lock icon on them.  When I select the Genos, (I load directly via Wifi), they all become greyed out.

I would consider buying the up-to-date PSR S970 (975?) version if I were absolutely, positively, 100% sure they would work. $100.00US is a lot of cash to risk.

Adam

Offline Joe H

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 02:38:55 AM »
With Yamaha Voice packs the Voices are "locked" so we cannot edited them.  I think that is a silly approach by Yamaha.  My guess is that they don't want us to see how Yamaha sound designers program the Preset and pack Voices. And if we could edit them, we could share the modified Voice files freely, which Yamaha would not want us to do.

;)

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »
The country pack is very good as is the US and home organs if you like Klaus sounds. Celtic s also very good.

Offline pjd

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »
The pack I have is for an older Psr keyboard that I had ... the S670.  I'm willing to bet that it's to old to be compatible.

I would consider buying the up-to-date PSR S970 (975?) version if I were absolutely, positively, 100% sure they would work. $100.00US is a lot of cash to risk.

Hi Adam --

I totally agree on both points. It may be a case of technical TMI, but the S670 uses a different tone generator (SWX08) than the Genos (SWP70).

I had a similar issue. My first pack was for the S950 -- totally incompatible -- and the YEP pack could not be converted by YEM. I called Yamaha Musicsoft and they graciously upgraded the S950 pack to S970 at no cost. Before shelling out money, maybe call Yamaha Musicsoft? Maybe they will upgrade the pack for less than $100?

At the risk of being redundant, the S970 pack is running on my Genos and installation was a no-brainer.

Hope this helps! I'm a cheerleader for this pack.  :D

-- pj

Offline valimaties

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »
I read all the discussion, but I don't understand properly: so, PSR-S970/975 Premium Packs are perfectly compatible with Genos? If so, why Yamaha Music Soft make them not available for Genos?
I'm interested on the Indian / China packs, but I would like to be sure of compatibility. Has anyone (who does NOT own S970) already "risked"?
Thank you

Francesco

As I see on Yamaha Music Site, Indian 2 Voice & Style Expansion Pack and China Voice & Style Expansion Pack are made only for PSR-S keyboards. But with Genos selected as chosen instrument, it will list all compatible models with each price on right part of screen.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
I read all the discussion, but I don't understand properly: so, PSR-S970/975 Premium Packs are perfectly compatible with Genos? If so, why Yamaha Music Soft make them not available for Genos?
I'm interested on the Indian / China packs, but I would like to be sure of compatibility. Has anyone (who does NOT own S970) already "risked"?
Thank you

Francesco

Hi Francesco,

At one point of time, I owned both PSR-S970 and Genos (currently only owning Genos).   I was able to install all the voice and style packs , including "China", and various packs for Far East for PSR-S970 on Genos because these 2 keyboards use the same SWP70 tone generator.

Yamaha MusicSoft uses your chosen keyboard model to filter the available voice and style expansion packs.  If you choose PSR-S970/S975 as your keyboard model, then you can see all these available voice and style expansion packs.  After you purchased the packs, you will get links to download the various PPF files to be imported into YEM.  If you choose "Genos" as your keyboard model, the available voice and style expansion packs for PSR-S970/S975 will not show up.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline DerekA

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »
I was able to install all the voice and style packs , including "China", and various packs for Far East for PSR-S970 on Genos because these 2 keyboards use the same SWP70 tone generator.

I'm not sure that's entirely true ... I installed the Church pack which I bought for the S770 onto my T5. Does the T5 use SWP70? I thought it was SWP51. PJD will know!!
Genos

Bachus

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
I'm not sure that's entirely true ... I installed the Church pack which I bought for the S770 onto my T5. Does the T5 use SWP70? I thought it was SWP51. PJD will know!!

T5 indeed uses SWP51,

The S770 and S970 where the first to use the new SWP70, even before the Montage series..

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline pjd

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 08:06:23 PM »
Hi --

Yep, I agree with Bachus. The Tyros 5 employs two SWP51L tone generator ICs.

The content in the Church pack began life on the S750/S950, which are SWP51L-based like the Tyros 5. Same is true of the Church Organ pack, which I used on S950 and loved it. (TMI: The original pack format was YEP.)

Only Yamaha really know the details of voice compatibility. Compatibility information is stored in the UVF files. Preset waveforms belong to the parent product (e.g., Genos or Tyros 5). Voice definitions may also contain a "chip compatibility" property: NO_RESTRICTION, SWP50_FAMILY, SWX02, SWX08, SWP70. It may be that an SWP50_FAMILY voice can play on SWP70 since the SWP70 is (most likely) a superset of SWP51L. Again, only Yamaha knows.

Hope this helps in some small way -- pj
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:08:09 PM by pjd »

Offline Moontom

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 07:35:08 PM »
Nice thread....

here's a related ?: how is the Vintage Keyboard expansion? looking for nice crisp Rhodes and I've developed a few w/ Genos panel voices...wondering if the expansion pack gets closer to the tactile "bite" of a Rhodes or wurli.

thanks in advance...

Offline DerekA

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 08:18:34 PM »
Yes I'd also like to hear any views about the vintage keyboard pack, it looks interesting, but is it sufficiently different from the onboard voices?
Genos

Offline Moontom

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 05:55:33 PM »
Really?

Still hoping for insight on the Yamaha Vintage Keyboard expansion...somebody must have tried in Genos....thanks!

melokeyz

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 04:59:44 AM »
If you had to choose 2 packs with a brand new Genos..
Which 2 would add most for you? 
(And why)

Dreamscape by easy sounds
POP Essentials by pro music style

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
Depends on what kind of music you want to make.  If you're into EDM then Easy Sounds Dreamscapes and Magic Dance.  Dreamscapes comes with Chill-Out styles and Genos Magic Dance comes several Pluck Lead Voices to use with arps and about 750 Multi Pads including sliced drum beats. Both of these packs have Voices and recorded loops created from the Motif.

EDIT 2-15-21
I would now also add Easy Sounds pack:  Analog Xperience

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:44:56 PM by Joe H »

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2021, 06:47:28 PM »
A bit late, but you should be aware; the PSR-S packs purchased prior to... I think YEM 2.4? *did* work on the Genos (except the s670, a lot of those voices are greyed out). So if you purchased the packs before they went free, even if they require an email login for verification, they will generally work on the Genos. A good chunk will work on T5 even.

*However*, when they started giving out the free packs, the new ones are locked to the target kb model only. I don't know of any way around that. So yes, you should call Yamaha Music Soft and they can tell you what will and won't work.

Opinions:

The Church & Christmas pack was essential for PSRs series, as none of them had good solo strings (the 1 exception now is the PSRsx900), plus again, other than the sx900, the internal pipe organ wasn't sampled, so the C&C pack ones were a huge improvement. For the Genos, not as essential since it already has great built in organs, strings, and choirs.

Yes it depends on what kind of music you want to play anyway; now that the packs are free but KB locked, you might as well try the available Genos ones. But even then, space limitations won't allow you to fit everything on there. There are now 3 Brazil packs, for example; if you want to play Brazillian music, then yes install all 3!

Personally, since the Genos lacks the built in Indian, Chinese, and Middle Eastern Kits that the PSRs series includes, those would be the kinds of packs I would install (but if you don't play any of that music, then maybe just the drum kits, not *all* the content). I also really like Greetings from Italy with the Solo soprano voices, and I'd top it off with Latin and Brazil packs.

Also, the PSR's organ pack was great for the PSR's that didn't have any sampled pipe organs, but since the T5 and Genos both have "organ world", those voices become redundant.

Mark

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 02:37:57 AM »
Where I can get this Vietnamese pack ? I need to have voices for dan bau, dan tranh, sao, etc....
I saw one on Yamaha website, but there is no obvious way to download it.
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline ckobu

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 06:25:05 AM »
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 09:13:05 AM »
Where I can get this Vietnamese pack ? I need to have voices for dan bau, dan tranh, sao, etc....
I saw one on Yamaha website, but there is no obvious way to download it.

Hi tyros2009,

the new versions of the Vietnamese Pack (downloadable via the link provided by ckobu) are in the protected .CPF format, and obviously there are only versions for PSR-SX and PSR-S models. These cannot be used for Genos and Tyros models.

To install the Vietnamese Pack on your Genos, however, you can use this PSR-S970 .PPF version: :)
>>> http://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-789792

The content is identical to the new PSR-S/SX .CPF versions (18 voices, 12 styles).

P.S.
The .PPI file also contained in the zip file (for direct installation of the Pack without using the YEM) can only be used for the PSR-S970, not for other models.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 09:20:13 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)